Feature request: customize the style colors for tags and notebooks

I love the addition of styling/coloring the tags for tags and notebooks.  I would like to suggest an addition to this feature - the ability to:

1. Change the color swatches that are shown
  2. Select a color that isn't one of the swatches
  • Level 5*
48 minutes ago, Rob Freundlich said:

I love the addition of styling/coloring the tags for tags and notebooks.  I would like to suggest an addition to this feature - the ability to:

1. Change the color swatches that are shown
  2. Select a color that isn't one of the swatches

The earlier betas had about 40 color choices, but they went with 10 in the final release.

It was probably a combination of the factors that shades of the same color was concidered unnecessary, and that you are limited to implementing only 255 styles at this point.

6 hours ago, gustavgi said:

The earlier betas had about 40 color choices, but they went with 10 in the final release.

It was probably a combination of the factors that shades of the same color was concidered unnecessary, and that you are limited to implementing only 255 styles at this point.

255 styles implies they're storing the style selection in a byte somewhere.

They've got four text styles: Bold, Italic, Underline, and Strikeout, so that takes up 4 bits.  Assuming they're storing the color number in binary, that's the other 4 bits.  But those four bits will allow up to 16 custom colors, so it's weird that they only went with 10.

Even with the limitation of 10 (or 16), It'd be nice to be able to customize those.  If you look at the screenshot of the selector I included here, you'll see that they're all kind of pastel-ish, and in fact, some are actually shades of the same color.  I like my colors to be less pastel and more bold, and I'd like to have fewer similar colors, so letting me pick what each of those 10 color slots looks like would be nice.

style_colors.png

Also, I question the 255-style limit, or rather its applicability to the colors.  I went spelunking into the database, and found that "style" and "item_color" are different columns. If you take those item_color values and convert them to hexadecimal and then look at them as RGB colors, they are, in fact, ,the colors I have selected for the tags in question.  So they are clearly storing the actual colors, which means there's no technical hurdle preventing them from letting us pick our own colors, either for the slots or on a tag-by-tag basis.

table_browse.png

• 1 month later...

Please Evernote, consider to add at least a couple of additional colors. 

BROWN is the one I miss more, in order to keep a consistent tag color system through different applications.

I use color tags in many applications and BROWN is available in all of them. 

Thanks for considering it.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running 6.1.2.2292 on Windows10.  I love the new color style for tags, but to my eye I don't see a complete set of matching colors in the font color palate, so I have to "Define Custom Colors" in order to be able to set text in note to directly match one of the tag colors (so I can quickly scan the note and see by color the text that matches the tag).  Am I missing something?  I would have thought that any color that was used in the Tag palate would surely have been exactly matched by a color from the Font palate.

Also, when I "Define Custom Colors" for my fonts to match Tag colors, I find those custom colors are not preserved across Windows reboots.  I sleep my machine for days at a time, but ultimately I have to reboot for some reason (or windows just decides to reboot on me).  When I restart Evernote, my Custom Colors have disappeared, and I spend the first few minutes redefining them by hand with RGB values.  Again - seems such an obvious bug am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Fraser

• Level 5
On 5/22/2016 at 0:11 PM, stevealb said:

Would like the colors chosen for a tag or notebook to sync across all EN platforms, so I can see the colors on my different devices.

Steve, I didn't see your post when I posted the same thing as a new topic in this forum: 

If you can, please go there and vote it up by clicking on the arrow at the top of the page. So far, we seem to be the only 2 who care!

Archived