Norwegian spell checker on Evernote

Thorz

Idea

Hello

I have seen that other Nordic languages are included in the spell checker (Swedish and Danish), why is not Norwegian included also?

It is very frustrating to not be able to spellcheck a note written in Norwegian when it is one of the languages I use when I work in Evernote.

It is not possible either to install an external spellchecker for accomplishing this task.

I hope the Evernote team follows these forums and can take into account this message. Your Norwegian users have been waiting for this ages already,

• Like 2

17 replies to this idea

Waiting since 2009 to get it in Norwegian. And dont say the customer must translate it. 

Vi får vente..................

Henning (Mail from 2014)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Linda R. (Evernote Support)

Oct 29 09:48

Hi Henning,

Thank you for contacting Evernote Support. My name is Linda and I'll be happy to assist you today. I understand your frustration regarding support for the Norwegian language. We would love to be able to offer support for all languages and Evernote has a heavy focus on ensuring our international support is strong. However, language support requires a lot of work and we often use the help of volunteers to assist with the translation.

Here's a link where you can track the progress and even volunteer your assistance if you'd like: https://translate.evernote.com/no/

You can sort by project and see that overall, Norwegian still has quite a bit of translating to be done before we can put our best foot forward with it. I hope you can understand that it's not something we're ignoring by any means, but just that we're unable to provide any specific information for if and when it might come to fruition. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
Linda R.

Henning Ringlund

Oct 21 10:55

You stil dont have Norwegan in Evernote!

This is now 2 years ago since I first time contacted you about this! And stil you dont have Norwegian. This is a big problem for me! I have to write text and I dont get text correction!

And when you go to your support page I can see that you have given the same bla, bla, bla since 2009!

Then it is better to say "we will not do it"!

Henning

9 hours ago, gustavgi said:

Actually all languages except English relies on user translations.

Well, it doesn't feel ok when I am paying for a premium membership. This kind of feature should not depend on voluntary work from Evernote users. I am paying for a product and I expect that it evolves with features as easy to implement as this one. This is something we Norwegian users have been asking for since the beginning. It is not acceptable that still in 2016 in a product that is already mature this simple thing has not been implemented.

What kind of comintment these kind of actions show to the users that support the product paying for the payable plans?

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 8/10/2016 at 0:21 PM, gustavgi said:

Actually all languages except English relies on user translations.

For the user interface, but not for spell checking which I think is what's being requested here.

• Level 5
On 8/10/2016 at 8:16 AM, Thorz said:

Wow. The Evernote versions continue coming out and spell checking in Norwegian language is being totally ignored! Totally unacceptable,

I'll mention your request to our PM. In the meantime, though, you can install dictionaries for any language you like and I believe we will use them. For instance, you can download Norwegian dictionaries here:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/en/project/Norwegian_dictionaries

This will download a .oxt file. Rename it to .zip and copy the appropriate .aff and .dic files contained therein into C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Dict (or wherever your Evernote happens to be installed). When you restart the client, it should offer the new dictionaries as an option, although they will be listed via their locale code (no_XX) instead of a nice user-friendly name.

On 8/12/2016 at 10:30 PM, emerick said:

I'll mention your request to our PM. In the meantime, though, you can install dictionaries for any language you like and I believe we will use them. For instance, you can download Norwegian dictionaries here:

This will download a .oxt file. Rename it to .zip and copy the appropriate .aff and .dic files contained therein into C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Dict (or wherever your Evernote happens to be installed). When you restart the client, it should offer the new dictionaries as an option, although they will be listed via their locale code (no_XX) instead of a nice user-friendly name.

Thank you. Can this dictionaries also be installed in a Mac? I am at my Mac now and would like to activate Norwegian spelling inside Evernote too.

• Level 5
1 hour ago, Thorz said:

Thank you. Can this dictionaries also be installed in a Mac? I am at my Mac now and would like to activate Norwegian spelling inside Evernote too.

That I don't know, you'll probably need to ask on the Mac forum.

On 12/08/2016 at 10:30 PM, emerick said:

I tried this and it appears to work, but the accuracy of the spell checking is not optimal. Look at the attached pic and you'll see what I mean. The options the program offers to correct a spelling mistake are just horrendous. If you write the words ok the dictionary appears to catch them, but when you right click on a misspelled word the offered choices are totally inaccurate. This is not a problem when you are writing in English or any of the other languages I have tried that are offered by the application.

This is not a problem if you ONLY chose the Norwegian dictionary under options, but choosing 3 dictionaries as I need (English, Spanish and Norwegian) makes a mess of the Norwegian corrector added with the OpenOffice dictionary files. The English and Spanish ones apparently continue working ok though.

Evernote spell.jpg

• Level 5

We limit the number of suggestions shown in the context menu to five, as it would become too unwieldy to show more than that. This is usually good enough for a single language, but yeah, with three dictionaries active it's usefulness will be much more limited. Why not run an actual spellcheck on the note via F7? The spellcheck dialog will show all possible suggestions in a listbox, not just the top five. This will probably be much better for your particular use case.

14 hours ago, emerick said:

We limit the number of suggestions shown in the context menu to five, as it would become too unwieldy to show more than that. This is usually good enough for a single language, but yeah, with three dictionaries active it's usefulness will be much more limited. Why not run an actual spellcheck on the note via F7? The spellcheck dialog will show all possible suggestions in a listbox, not just the top five. This will probably be much better for your particular use case.

I will try that @emerick. Thank you for your suggestion.

On 12.8.2016 at 10:30 PM, emerick said:

I tried this, but unable to make it work. I cannot find .dic files in the .zip. There are .aff, .dat and .idx there. I've tried with various combinations of these, but it does not give me any additional language options. Can I please have some input on how I can make this work,  @emerick?

On 5/25/2016 at 8:33 PM, hengring said:

nce I first time contacted you about this! And stil you dont have Norwegian. This is a big problem for me! I have to write text and I dont get text correction!

And when you go to your support page I

So there is no way to get norwegian spellcheking on devices like phones and tablets?

Tydelig tale, snakker du norsk - hold deg unna Evernote!

This Will drive Me back to VesleBlaut as we Norwegians like to call MicroSoft OneNote all the way. Better integrasjon on E-ink and pictures. 

So we are well inside the version 10 of the product and it appears that there is still no Norwegian spell checker in Evernote for desktop?

10 years, TEN, and Evernote completely dismiss the Norwegian market? How has this happened? This is super easy to implement from a developing point of view when you already have other spell check modules implemented!

You really don't listen to feedback. I don't know what you have been focusing on all these past years.

• Level 5

At the moment, there is no choice of spell checkers in v10, not even for a world language like English.

The missing settings for spell checking are a hot issue in other threads. So first EN has to teach this to v10, and then, maybe then languages will be added.

These languages are currently supported on the EN web site. I would not count on more:

1650867959_Bildschirmfoto2020-12-13um01_57_17.png.f678bb8f9a6bceba9e016449867fc338.png

• Like 1