Searching: help, please

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed and old age isn't helping me much. I just cannot figure out something to do with searching. Here's my problem:

I have 6 notebooks. I am working on chapter 6 of a particular notebook and I come onto a word which I need to search because I don't remember the English meaning. So I type the word in the search box and get finds in all notebooks. These are the 2 things I can't get into my head.

1. How do I tell the program to look only in the current notebook (the one I am currently using)?

2. After the search, how do I get back to the page I was working on in the first place?

I thank one and all in advance for all assistance (and patience).

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Tony Vella said:

How do I tell the program to look only in the current notebook (the one I am currently using)?

Search   Notebook:xxxx   aaaaa

>> After the search, how do I get back to the page I was working on in the first place?

On the Mac Evernote, I have < > controls that sometimes allow me to move back to a previous page

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, Tony Vella said:

1. How do I tell the program to look only in the current notebook (the one I am currently using)?

EDIT:  Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM CST

• Sorry, I overlooked that you are a Windows user
  • The below applies to Evernote Mac
  • Evernote Windows has something similar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When you click in the Search Box, you should see a dropdown that offers you a choice of:

• Everything
  • <Current Notebook>   IF you have a notebook selected prior to search

EN-Mac-6.4-Search-Context.png

Just click on the notebook name to restrict to that notebook.

3 hours ago, Tony Vella said:

2. After the search, how do I get back to the page I was working on in the first place?

As of EN Mac Ver 6.4, when you clear the Search (click on the X, or press CMD+R), it should automatically return you to the Note you were viewing prior to the Search.

• Level 5*

For Windows, assuming that is what your are using based upon the forum,

1.  Go to the search bar and make sure Search Current Context is showing (click on the drop down next to the magnifying glass).  Otherwise the search will default to the other option Search All Notes, unless you specify a notebook in the search bar.  This can be a PITA so I always have my search bar set to current context.

2.  Try using the back arrow in the tool bar to go back to the original note.

Archived