(Archived) 500Mb monthly ceiling

On EN premium, there is a 500Mb monthly "ceiling" on uploads. In project management, many times the storage requirements for supporting documentation can be higher in the beginning. Are there any plans for increasing this limit (I am sure there will be a new fee structure for a power user of this caliber)?

I am a new and premium user. The 500Mb monthly limit should normally be more than enough for my requirements. However, as I am a new user, I've been busying transferring my existing files to EN. I've almost maxed out my usage limit after two weeks' of feverish activities. This means I have to wait for about another two weeks before I can transfer my existing files to EN. This is hugely inconvenient for my EN conversion process. Is there anyway you can give new members extra storage for the first few months? I'd be willing to pay for it if I have to.

For various reasons, it's simpler for me to forward my existing stuff to EN by email; so holding the notes in a local folder is not such an ideal solution. I'd really like to keep going while I am still all psyched up. As it is, I can only stare at my toes for the next two weeks. For power users with Gb of data, the inflexible limit makes it difficult for them to convert to EN.

• 2 weeks later...
I am a new and premium user. The 500Mb monthly limit should normally be more than enough for my requirements. However, as I am a new user, I've been busying transferring my existing files to EN. I've almost maxed out my usage limit after two weeks' of feverish activities. This means I have to wait for about another two weeks before I can transfer my existing files to EN. This is hugely inconvenient for my EN conversion process. Is there anyway you can give new members extra storage for the first few months? I'd be willing to pay for it if I have to.

Welcome to the club. I've got about 30 GB sitting in local folders on two computers and a USB drive, and I add maybe 200 MB of new material every month, so at this rate I'll be all synced up in 8.3 years. :lol:

• 2 months later...
There's no general way to increase this within a single account, although this is something we're considering for the future.

I'm running into the same situation. I'm using EN for storage of class notes and documents and whatnot, and I have some classes that are very heavy on PDFs. I would happy pay an extra, say, $5 at a one-time bump to reset my monthly cap. That way, I pay for extra when I need it, not when I don't.

There's always SOMETHING that causes people to hold back from becoming a premium user, and for me, this is it.

I've got EN on both of my desktops and on my laptop, and it makes organization and note-taking considerably easier, and keeping track of all the documents that accumulate during a semester is a lot better than my previous method of using folders synced with Windows Live Sync, which worked but which didn't retain context, searching, and tagging. So EN is a big help to me ... except that I can't put all my data in it.

But using a local non-synced notebook completely defeats the purpose for me and would actually make my problems worse.

Is there a solution for someone like me, or am I basically back to Windows Live Sync?

There's always SOMETHING that causes people to hold back from becoming a premium user

Apparently there's nothing that's prevented 60,000+ users from going premium, according to this page: http://entrepreneur.venturebeat.com/201 ... institute/

I'm sure there are a few people who would go premium if ___ (fill in the blank) were added. But for the most part, IMO, that's one of those things people tend to say because they think it will sway the company (whether it's EN or anyone else) to do what it is they want them to do.

I think telling a company that I'm offering money if they'll solve my problem isn't rude or even unwarranted. I want a solution to my problem; EN provides it, if this issue can be resolved one way or another; ergo, money is on the table, and because of the amount of data I'm looking at pushing, I'm willing to up the amount of money. I'd pay anybody else who can solve this problem, too, but to date, no product I have found is able to do so. That 60k+ other users have found solutions to their problems is great for the company, but doesn't amount to a hill of beans if my problem goes unsolved, because yes, I really only care about my own issue. After all, I have to live with my needs, not with yours.

• Level 5*
I think telling a company that I'm offering money if they'll solve my problem isn't rude or even unwarranted. I want a solution to my problem; EN provides it, if this issue can be resolved one way or another; ergo, money is on the table, and because of the amount of data I'm looking at pushing, I'm willing to up the amount of money. I'd pay anybody else who can solve this problem, too, but to date, no product I have found is able to do so. That 60k+ other users have found solutions to their problems is great for the company, but doesn't amount to a hill of beans if my problem goes unsolved, because yes, I really only care about my own issue. After all, I have to live with my needs, not with yours.

You seem to have been the first person to use either of the the words "rude" or "unwarranted"; I'm not sure where you got that.

As to the "money on the table" argument, the question that Evernote must answer to their own satisfaction is how many users would become premium customers if they raised their ceiling, versus how much it would cost them in their costs. Money's always on the table; it's not always enough to justify what a particular customer wants.

Anyhow, right now, it sounds like there is no Evernote solution to what you feel that you need. That may change in the future. Good luck,

~Jeff

Thanks for the feedback about the monthly usage quotas. We want to make sure that you have a good experience with Evernote, and that means that we may be cautious with limits to make sure that our software doesn't paint you into a corner.

But we appreciate the feedback.

I discovered Evernote a few days ago and decided to upgrade today. For the most part I of course thought Evernote is wonderful, even thought I still don't understand how to use most of the features yet but one of the few things that I don't like about Evernote is the 500 Mb monthly storage capacity limit. I have been shipping around for years for online storage site and for the most part I found them just too expensive, until I found things like Mozy, Allmydata, Nakido etc. Now I have spoken at length to one of the owners of these online storage sites and I learned, to my surprise, how important it is the have a viable business model for the online storage company to stay in business. And from my side as a consumer I learned that a minimum requirement for me at any online storage site that there absolutely must have unlimited uploads and downloads capability. And the second minimum is that the storage company has to have a reasonable (affordable) yearly fee. It does not work for me to have to pay for how many people can have access to a particular folder or file either. So when I finally found that there were companies out there that did indeed meet these requirements I was stoked and was able to cancel many other accounts and merge them into the new one. Now Evernote does provide a number of features that these other online storage companies don't hence I signed up with Evernote even though I have a BlackBerry Curve 8330 that I can't seem to be able to use with Evernote (I hope the Evernote will make this available to us soon) but as far as the 500Mb monthly file transfer limit goes I think it is an absurdity and the fact that you even created this as a limit says a lot about how you people think, so I think it will be a very long time (years maybe) before you get around to making it unlimited, if ever, I would think your mind set will be to create some sort of tier-gradient system with a corresponding free scale, which would be most unattractive to me. Well I guess I will have to just wait and see where you go with this, from the other posts on this matter, it is evident that this limitation is not suitable for many of your current and potential users.

how important it is the have a viable business model for the online storage company to stay in business.

Also keep in mind, EN is not in the backup business. They are in the "notes in the cloud" business. For unlimited storage (based upon how much you need & are willing to pay for), I use Jungle Disk. JD is great for off site backups but isn't very good at quickly finding my notes about the best settings for rendering video footage from my Kodak Zi8 pocket cam or the sandwich my husband prefers from Jason's deli. But EN is.

PS - EN is also great for keeping track of Motrin = Advil = ibuprofen, Tylenol = acetaminophen & Aleve is none of the above... arghhhhh....

• Level 5

Compris said:

"...even thought [sic] I still don't understand how to use most of the features yet but one of the few things that I don't like about Evernote is the 500 Mb monthly storage capacity limit."

"...but as far as the 500Mb monthly file transfer limit goes I think it is an absurdity and the fact that you even created this as a limit says a lot about how you people think"

Whoa! Guess you need to go back to your original comment and figure out what Evernote is. It is not a backup program.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not interested in a backup system. there are non-indexing systems that are better suited for backup. i'm interested in cross-indexing, tagging, and storing notes and related documents, for school and the rest of life. but a pdf can get very large very fast. For the class I'm taking in the summer, half way through the class I'm up to 65 meg just in pdfs ... and that's one class, and doesn't count revisions and other documents generated. if i'm taking five classes? with notes and pictures and even more? my spring 2010 course load weighed in at almost 4g, i didn't archive a number of documents that i would have liked to, and document production is *not* linear. as i progress, it will only get worse.

and no, referencing documents stored on a local hard drive, even with a sync utility like windows live sync, isn't the substitute. that destroys the search ability.

• 4 months later...

On Monday I ordered an HP Slate 500 with the intention of using it in my CPA practice and writing a review for other CPAs. HP has advertised that Evernote is bundled with the Slate, which led me here.

Like others who have posted on this Board, I am concerned about the 500MB monthly upload limit. While I realize that Evernote is not positioned as a backup utility, I would like to 'Remember Everything' including the existing 50GB of files that I have accumulated over my 11 years in business.

Other web servces such as Dropbox will allow me to upload my 50GB and pay $20 per month. I would rather upload my 50GB of data (plus new data that I create) to Evernote because of Evernote's indexing and retreival capabilities. I would be happy to pay the $20 per month to Evernote instead of Dropbox.

Please let me know if such a plan will be available so that I can include that in my review.

Regards,

Bill Douglas CPA

I thought I remembered (should of really put it in Evernote huh :( ) Dave once saying you could go premium, upload you limit and then revert to standard and purchase a premium plan again to get the limit again. All to do with the monthly cycle starting from when you pay from memory. Not the nicest work around but def workable I would think.

Can anyone confirm this for the folks asking?

Cheers,

Sam

I thought I remembered (should of really put it in Evernote huh :( ) Dave once saying you could go premium, upload you limit and then revert to standard and purchase a premium plan again to get the limit again. All to do with the monthly cycle starting from when you pay from memory. Not the nicest work around but def workable I would think.

Can anyone confirm this for the folks asking?

Cheers,

Sam

Hmmm... I don't recall seeing him say that, but I could have missed it. Also, I don't think it would work, if you're trying to upload 1 gig in a month. B/c if you purchase premium & cancel, you will remain premium until the end of the cycle. Then if you buy premium the next day, yes, you have 500 mb available, but that would have happened anyway, if you'd remained premium.

If you're already premium, I don't know what would happen if you try to buy premium again. I suspect either it won't let you (cuz you already are!) or else it would simply extend the subscription.

Can't say for sure, tho.

Evernote is a good product, but the 500MB monthly limit must be increased to be practical. Perhaps you could develop a billing plan for a per MB charge once 500MB was exceeded? Wireless cell phone companies make good profits with this model.

"Practical" is probably a bit of overkill. I've been using EN for over two years & send things to EN several times pretty much each & every single day, including weekends & holidays and am nearing 30,000 notes. Video files, audio files, web clips, photos, PDFs, etc. And I've only ever almost maxxed out my upload limit a couple of times. I suspect the people who would need/use over 500 mb per month are a small minority of the users.

Evernote is a good product, but the 500MB monthly limit must be increased to be practical. Perhaps you could develop a billing plan for a per MB charge once 500MB was exceeded? Wireless cell phone companies make good profits with this model.

"Practical" is probably a bit of overkill. I've been using EN for over two years & send things to EN several times pretty much each & every single day, including weekends & holidays and am nearing 30,000 notes. Video files, audio files, web clips, photos, PDFs, etc. And I've only ever almost maxxed out my upload limit a couple of times. I suspect the people who would need/use over 500 mb per month are a small minority of the users.

I've been using EN since January and have accumulated roughly 1400 notes already. No idea how you got so much within two years though. Would be interested to see your workflow with Evernote.

I've been using EN since January and have accumulated roughly 1400 notes already. No idea how you got so much within two years though. Would be interested to see your workflow with Evernote.

1. I have used Outlook as my email program for ~10 years. I have many archived pst files. Two years ago, I first started using EN to archive emails. I got tired of trying to find old emails & having to guess which pst file they were in & then running the (slow) Outlook search. Probably 1/3 - 1/2 half of my notes are archived emails pulled from my archived pst files. And, of course, going forward, I archive emails I want to keep into EN.

2. I have ~16 years worth of work, personal and medical (for the family) related notes, journal notes & contact notes that I've maintained on my various computers over the years. I've still not got all of them incorporated into EN...but I'm working on it.

3. I started going paperless three years ago. So I have many scans of letters from family members & friends that I've saved over the years. SO MANY things are things I don't really need to keep...but I hesitate to get rid of. I have several letters from my now deceased father & aunts & uncles that I really don't need to keep. But it breaks my heart to have to get rid of them. My solution is to scan them & toss the originals. I can still read them & see the familiar handwriting, but I don't have to keep the paper. I drop these into Evernote.

4. Any tech manuals I use often, I scan & dump into EN. Saves me scooting my chair to the other side of my office & having to get out the manual & look something up. :lol:

5. I'm a runner & training for my 5th marathon. (At least until an injury a couple of months ago.) I run with a Garmin Forerunner GPS tracker. I will sync the Garmin & take a screen cap of the satellite view of my runs & rank them by mileage. So if I'm looking to cover 12 miles tomorrow, I can pull up past runs, using the tag "10-15 miles" and that gives me some ideas for the route I may want to run.

6. Shopping research! A girl's gotta shop! I often keep notes of my shopping research, whether it's something physical (a vacuum or (more fun) martini glasses) or software (YNAB3) and what reasons swayed me into selecting the item I finally purchased.

7. Audio files: I often use a Livescribe pen. Most of my sessions are relatively short (10 -60 minutes.) I often dump the audio & a PDF print of the session into Evernote.

8. Back to the paperless thing... I scan all work orders & receipts for work done at our homes (or appliances purchased) & put those into Evernote. We have two homes in two different states. It's nice to know I can pull up info on one house, regardless where I am.

9. I write/maintain software for the company I work for. I keep a "change log" of things I change for work. Just a nice audit trail if something goes wrong & I wonder if I may have muffed something up.

10. Expanding on the above...if I need to do a "quick & dirty" program to change/fix/find something, I often forget the name of the file. I enter the info in the change log along with the name of the program. This way, I can easily find it again, should I need to. Some programs I figure I won't need again. But if they were kind of lengthy, I'll add the code to EN before deleting it from the unix machine. If I need to do a do-over, I don't have to rewrite the code.

11. NEWSLETTERS!!! I regularly get newsletters that I love reading & saving b/c they have recipes. Now, I scan them & dump them into EN.

12. Web articles. I LOVE Lifehacker. So many interesting articles & some I may never use. But when I see them, I think, "Hmm...I may want to do/use/refer to this someday." So they go into Evernote. Case in point. I've got a girlfriend who has a, uh, "rambunctious", teenaged son. I recently archived the Lifehacker article on "How to remove super glue from practically anything", should she need it in the future. :lol:

This is not an all encompassing list...but as you can see, Evernote is an integral part of my computer life. :D

(Pokes jfwarrior)... "You awake?" :lol:

(Sorry to be so long winded.)

1. I have used Outlook as my email program for ~10 years. I have many archived pst files. Two years ago, I first started using EN to archive emails. I got tired of trying to find old emails & having to guess which pst file they were in & then running the (slow) Outlook search. Probably 1/3 - 1/2 half of my notes are archived emails pulled from my archived pst files. And, of course, going forward, I archive emails I want to keep into EN.

2. I have ~16 years worth of work, personal and medical (for the family) related notes, journal notes & contact notes that I've maintained on my various computers over the years. I've still not got all of them incorporated into EN...but I'm working on it.

3. I started going paperless three years ago. So I have many scans of letters from family members & friends that I've saved over the years. SO MANY things are things I don't really need to keep...but I hesitate to get rid of. I have several letters from my now deceased father & aunts & uncles that I really don't need to keep. But it breaks my heart to have to get rid of them. My solution is to scan them & toss the originals. I can still read them & see the familiar handwriting, but I don't have to keep the paper. I drop these into Evernote.

4. Any tech manuals I use often, I scan & dump into EN. Saves me scooting my chair to the other side of my office & having to get out the manual & look something up. :lol:

5. I'm a runner & training for my 5th marathon. (At least until an injury a couple of months ago.) I run with a Garmin Forerunner GPS tracker. I will sync the Garmin & take a screen cap of the satellite view of my runs & rank them by mileage. So if I'm looking to cover 12 miles tomorrow, I can pull up past runs, using the tag "10-15 miles" and that gives me some ideas for the route I may want to run.

6. Shopping research! A girl's gotta shop! I often keep notes of my shopping research, whether it's something physical (a vacuum or (more fun) martini glasses) or software (YNAB3) and what reasons swayed me into selecting the item I finally purchased.

7. Audio files: I often use a Livescribe pen. Most of my sessions are relatively short (10 -60 minutes.) I often dump the audio & a PDF print of the session into Evernote.

8. Back to the paperless thing... I scan all work orders & receipts for work done at our homes (or appliances purchased) & put those into Evernote. We have two homes in two different states. It's nice to know I can pull up info on one house, regardless where I am.

9. I write/maintain software for the company I work for. I keep a "change log" of things I change for work. Just a nice audit trail if something goes wrong & I wonder if I may have muffed something up.

10. Expanding on the above...if I need to do a "quick & dirty" program to change/fix/find something, I often forget the name of the file. I enter the info in the change log along with the name of the program. This way, I can easily find it again, should I need to. Some programs I figure I won't need again. But if they were kind of lengthy, I'll add the code to EN before deleting it from the unix machine. If I need to do a do-over, I don't have to rewrite the code.

11. NEWSLETTERS!!! I regularly get newsletters that I love reading & saving b/c they have recipes. Now, I scan them & dump them into EN.

12. Web articles. I LOVE Lifehacker. So many interesting articles & some I may never use. But when I see them, I think, "Hmm...I may want to do/use/refer to this someday." So they go into Evernote. Case in point. I've got a girlfriend who has a, uh, "rambunctious", teenaged son. I recently archived the Lifehacker article on "How to remove super glue from practically anything", should she need it in the future. :)

This is not an all encompassing list...but as you can see, Evernote is an integral part of my computer life. :D

(Pokes jfwarrior)... "You awake?" :lol:

(Sorry to be so long winded.)

@ billdouglas: Perhaps you could develop a billing plan for a per MB charge once 500MB was exceeded? Wireless cell phone companies make good profits with this model. --> Bad idea. A very, very bad idea. Having a hard ceiling for this type of situation would be better. Or, if such a strange system is used for Evernote, allow users to opt in instead of forcing it upon everyone. (People could accidentally get hundreds of dollars accidentally added to their bill because of this because of the fact that they thought their account still had monthly usage space.)

@burgersnfries:

1. I'm quite appalled at the idea of storing emails in Evernote; This is a one-way process, where you input data into Evernote. This means that you can't really export the email out back to the email client. ... Perhaps this is why I prefer using an online email client (Gmail) - I like the fact that everything I send and receive is there, and there forever assuming that Google does not shut down Gmail.

Is your archiving system automated or do you have to manually copy-and-paste emails into a new note for received email into Evernote?

2 and 3. I like the idea of scanning in notes and documents, but my tagging system is a bit of a wreck and at times scanned documents just go into my Archive folder and can never be found. (It's image-text recognition software isn't necessarily stellar-I remember scanning in a few handwriten notes for a class that failed to be detected and scanned through. Was quite a disappointment, really, because I had to scan in the documents manually, download them from my email after it's scanned, then afterwards, adding it into Evernote.)

4. Your scanning workflow must be really efficient then, considering how you can scan in manuals and documents quickly or have the time to do it.

6. I have something similar too, but it's an unorganised notebook mess where I just drag everything related to buying things or lists and just dump it into there. :|

7. I've been quite interested about the Livescribe pens and plan to implement it into my workflow next year, but the system sounds a bit shallow. I've read online and seen some reviews on Amazon where people had said that you could keep a maximum of 5 notebooks at one time.

Wouldn't this be detrimental to note-taking if you have lots of classes or other things that need note-taking that requires a notebook for each? If you delete one notebook, wouldn't all the audio and text syncing system be gone, which is one of the reasons why you purchased the pen in the first place?

12. I love web-articles too, so a large percentage of the 1.4k notes I've accumulated is web articles. :) The web-clipping features are especially useful when gathering inspiration for Graphic Design; I use a tagging system like this:

[*]Design-Style-Minimalism

[*]Design-Inspiration

[*]Design-Style-Grid

[*]Design-Portfolio

13. It's quite interesting to see how Evernote is used though. I have a fragmented system where part of my data resides on the file-system level of the computer (Basic folders, etc), another in Evernote and a storage system on Gmail. One thing I'm worried about is how Evernote might shut down (Even though they had passed round 3 of the startup financing) and leave us with a broken application.

14. ... As a matter of fact, I wasn't really awake at the time I was writing the reply to you. Now I am though. :D And about the long-windiness-It's actually really really appreciate - I love reading and discussing online, but usually on online communities, people rarely talk/type long so it's hard to maintain a good discussion.

I'm quite appalled at the idea of storing emails in Evernote; This is a one-way process, where you input data into Evernote.

Nothing appalling about! I do it all the time. I forward emails to EN whenever there is something I wan to make sure I have a copy of, even if my PC explodes, my backup external hard disks are stolen and the house burns down. But I leave them in the email program too - so it doesn't have any negative impact on me replying to them or whatever.

As well as having a permanent, saffe, indexed storage of my emails, I can also to this:

- When I just need to refer to them it is always faster to find them in EN than in the email client.

- When I need to reply to them it is usually faster to find them in EN and then pull some unique string from them and to use that as a search clue in the email client, meaning I find the email I'm after very quickly.

@burgersnfries:

1. I'm quite appalled at the idea of storing emails in Evernote; This is a one-way process, where you input data into Evernote. This means that you can't really export the email out back to the email client. ... Perhaps this is why I prefer using an online email client (Gmail) - I like the fact that everything I send and receive is there, and there forever assuming that Google does not shut down Gmail.

Is your archiving system automated or do you have to manually copy-and-paste emails into a new note for received email into Evernote?

Yes, assuming. :) I know the chances are slim, but I really don't entrust too much of my info to "the cloud" without having some sort of backup on my computer. Plus, as I'd mentioned, I have many years worth of past emails that are in pst files that I'm gradually going back & adding. Much of it is certainly not necessary...but still something I like having handy, should I want or need to look up an old email. As TheGurkha said, finding the emails in EN is so much faster than using Outlook. Should I need to resend, I can pretty easily find the pst file it was pulled from, pretty easily, open that up & go from there. I have some emails automatically forwarded to EN from my ISP's server & the rest are done manually, since I don't need them all. (IE I also like to keep copies of emailed receipts when I've purchased something.)

4. Your scanning workflow must be really efficient then, considering how you can scan in manuals and documents quickly or have the time to do it.

I don't do all the pages from all the manuals...just the ones I reference often. Scanning a page takes about a minute. Regarding other documents, many of them are scans or documents I've created over the past ~15 years.

7. I've been quite interested about the Livescribe pens and plan to implement it into my workflow next year, but the system sounds a bit shallow. I've read online and seen some reviews on Amazon where people had said that you could keep a maximum of 5 notebooks at one time.

Wouldn't this be detrimental to note-taking if you have lots of classes or other things that need note-taking that requires a notebook for each? If you delete one notebook, wouldn't all the audio and text syncing system be gone, which is one of the reasons why you purchased the pen in the first place?

I think you're limited to X number of active notebooks. But you can archive them. See this thread. Once a notebook (or part of a notebook) is archived, you still have the "tap to hear the audio" on the Livescribe desktop app. But it no longer works with the pen & notebook. So you'd want to make sure the pen you bought has enough memory for your use. I have one of the first pens (1 gb Pulse) and I've only had to archive it once in the 2 1/2 years I've had it. But I don't use it for classes or attend a lot of really long meetings. In fact, in the thread I mentioned above, you'll see I only partially archived my notebooks, since the notebooks themselves were not full. I was using two different ones (one at home & one I keep in my tote bag.) I continue to use the same physical notebooks, but the first pages of each one are now archived to make room on the pen.

One thing I'm worried about is how Evernote might shut down (Even though they had passed round 3 of the startup financing) and leave us with a broken application.

That's always a concern with any software. But EN has an export (to html) function, should I ever need to abandon EN. Hopefully, that would never happen. And any important things I scan, I normally leave on my hard drive...just...in...case. :) IE, I'll scan a lovely letter from someone, keep the scan on my hard drive (in an appropriately named folder with an accurate file name) but also dump a copy of it into EN. This is kind of a "twofer." I have a backup on my hard drive should I have a problem with the one in Evernote. AND, Evernote is a backup should something happen to my hard drive. (However, I'm pretty much of a backup maven, so I also have things backed up on other physical hard drives as well as in the cloud (Amazon S3 via Jungle Disk.) My motto is a girl can never be too rich, too thin or have too many backups. :lol: )

• 3 weeks later...

I use Evernote as a knowledge database for my law practice. Whenever I find a court decision or any publication, I throw it at Evernote. I spidered a court database containing a lot of case law - in fact, 25,000+, all as html files. Add approximatly 600 pdf files to that. The monthly upload allowance is way to small to move that many files into Evernote.

IMO. Evernote should very soon create a super premium version or permit users to buy additional storage. I can't imagine that this is a complex thing to introduce, and a certain number of users would no doubt be willing to buy such a service even for prices in the range of USD 50 for 1 GB.

• Level 5

I just finished listening to the Twit podcast. Kevin Rose (Digg.com) said the hardest thing he had to wrestle with was the difficulty in getting engineers experienced in scalability issues. Especially during the upgrade path from PHP to Python.

Just consider what Evernote engineers deal with - frequent software upgrades that have to run on multiple OS platforms, web, mobile which all seem to change every few months along with a rapidly increasing customer base.

http://blog.evernote.com/2010/11/10/5-m ... ote-users/

The idea of increasing the monthly upload cap for corporations sounds like a great idea. But speed has to stay a major issue for Evernote. I believe scalability is on the top of Evernote's mind.

Just consider what Evernote engineers deal with - frequent software upgrades that have to run on multiple OS platforms, web, mobile which all seem to change every few months along with a rapidly increasing customer base.

Plus making the software work on old hardware, new hardware & various hardware configurations.

along with a rapidly increasing customer base.

Retweeting (kind of, sort of) one of Phil Libin's tweets dated 11/9/10:

"Estimated people born in the US yesterday: 11,800. People that signed up for Evernote from the US yesterday: 12,644. Just sayin."

In the future, when babies are born, they will automatically be assigned a SSN, a phone number & an Evernote account?

We had one day last week when 34,000 people signed up for Evernote...

We will raise the upload limits at some point, but we want to make sure that the software handles the new limit very well everywhere rather than just changing the number and discovering that (e.g.) it causes the iPad application to crash for 30% of users.

On the other hand, there are always going to be things that a business wants to do with a computer which won't be suited for Evernote. If your company has a 50GB Enterprise Knowledge Base and they want to throw that all in Evernote on Day 1 to test it out, that might not be a great fit for our service.

It'd be great if we could purchase extra data on a once-off basis. I am migrating from using LittleSnapper to Evernote and I have around 1.5GB of images I'm transferring. It'll take me three months of premium quota just to get those images across; I'd much prefer to pay more just so I can get everything across in one go, even if that means a reduced quota in future.

Archived