Navigate from Note to Notebook

I want to add a note to a notebook. But first I search for similar notes so that I can add the new note in the same notebook.

Maybe I'm blind, but I have not found a method to open the notebook where a note is in when I'm viewing this note.  Is there such a function?

• Level 5*

Hi.  Open the left panel (F10) to see a list of notebooks,  or open List View (Ctrl+F5) in the middle window to see which notebook a note is from;  it's also possible to start a new note and choose the destination notebook from a dropdown in the note header in the right window (Ctrl+F11). 

Thanks for your reply. The list view could help in some situations.

I have some notebooks, most of them nested. And I though I could quickly find the right one by searching for notes and navigating from the note to it's notbook. But so I have to manually search in the nested notebooks.

• Level 5*

Not sure how Evernote could make nesting more 'transparent' in terms of filing new notes in the correct notebook - the nests that I do have are all flagged so that the 'Work' stack forinstance would contain notebooks w_correspondence, w_accounts, w_archive and my Personal stuff would all be p_something.  I've been moving towards a single notebook for some while - currently with about 20 Notebooks and two stacks with 4,  and 2 notebooks respectively.  My default notebook has 97% of my 21,000 notes,  the others now being shared in or out,  work in progress,  or Local Notebooks for confidential-but-not-secret stuff.

You may find it useful to look in more detail at tags and informative note titles - tags are self-explanatory,  and note titles can be quite complex;  mine are <date> <type> <source> <keywords> which means for the most part I now don't need a notebook layer.  Evernote's search feature allows me to link all the notes I require for a specific purpose with too much problem;  and saved searches mean I can make even complicated text strings immediately available.

I want to add a note to a notebook. But first I search for similar notes so that I can add the new note in the same notebook.

Maybe I'm blind, but I have not found a method to open the notebook where a note is in when I'm viewing this note.  Is there such a function?

Same question here. Often you have a lot of search results - you click one result and you can see above the note that this note is in notebook XYZ. Now you want to see all notes of XYZ. Of course you can scroll the left sidebare and so on - but would be very comfortable to click the notebook name (which is above in the note window) maybe with a shortcut like CTRL+Notebookname - and cawoom! you are in the right notebook ...

• Level 5*

If I'm understanding you correctly, you are viewing a Note, and you want to set the Notebook filter to that Notebook this note is assign to, correct?

I don't know of a one-step way, but maybe this will work for you:

1. Glance at the NB of the Note to remember it
  2. Press SHIFT + ALT + N for Jump to NB
  3. Start typing the NB name, and it should be selected
  4. Press RETURN
  5. If you then want a new Note in that NB, press CTRL + N

noox - Notwithstanding the good ideas the other responders offered in their posts, I respond to your question / issue in another manner.

It strikes me that you may have a lot of Notebooks. "A lot" it probably more than 25. If that is the case, you may find that using Tags more might help you.

Of course, the # of Notebooks will increase with the # of Notes, but it seems like there ought to be some reasonable range for the ratio. My ratio is about 100 to 1, except for some special Notebooks I have designed that use multiple templates. gazumped is about 1,000 to 1. (I'd speculate that is an extreme case, but probably works quite well for him.)

It would be interesting to hear what some other EN users would say their ratio is. - - - -Anybody? Anybody?

noox - One other thought. 

I find that when I start off working on an entirely new matter, I create a unique Stack and Notebooks for it. That makes it easy to reference the relevant topics and sub-topics in the left panel and list view.

At a later time (possibly weeks or months later) when my activity on this new matter dies down or ends, I move the Notes into a more generic Notebook and delete the matter-specific Stack & Notebooks.

• Level 5*

noox - Notwithstanding the good ideas the other responders offered in their posts, I respond to your question / issue in another manner.

It strikes me that you may have a lot of Notebooks. "A lot" it probably more than 25. If that is the case, you may find that using Tags more might help you.

@Analyst444, although I agree that, in general, tags offer a better solution in Evernote due to the limitations Evernote has placed on Notebooks, in this case, I don't think switching from NBs to Tags would solve the problem, or make it any easier.

In fact, using Tags might make it harder, since it is not possible to create a new Note with a specific tag, unless you use the Copy Note feature.

So, if the user is viewing a Note, the process to create a new Note in the same NB is fairly straightforward, as outlined above.

It would be more complicated to create a new Note with the same tag(s) as the current note.  One major obstacle is that all of the Tags may not be displayed on the Note.

Finally, since Evernote supports 250 Notebooks, I'm not sure I would call more than 25 as being "a lot".  But it's subjective.

If want to discuss tags vs notebooks, there are lots of other threads that already do this.

• Level 5*

If you are searching for like notes first, find one you like, click on it to find the notebook name, and then click on the notebook drop down which is above whatever list view you are using.  Then when you click add note it will add it to that notebook.  If you are using list view you may not need to click on the note since the notebook name may be visible.

One caveat, if you have a lot of notebooks the drop down can be long.

Archived