(Archived) MUST have the ability to custom-sort tag order

EverNote3's PC client must have (and currently doesn't seem to) the ability to custom-sort tag order (left pane). Ideally, this tag order should be retained on imported ENbases.

I've got a 2.2.1 ENbase that had a custom tag order, and importing it into EverNote3 alphabetically sorts the tags instead of keeping my custom order.

There also seems to be a problem with imported tags... I'm ending up with "Las Vegas [1]" instead of "Las Vegas" on imports... Still tracking that down.

EverNote3's PC client must have (and currently doesn't seem to) the ability to custom-sort tag order (left pane). Ideally, this tag order should be retained on imported ENbases.

We are unlkely to add this feature. But I'm curious about the reasoning: the more tags you have, the . If you want to organize your tags, you can group them into chunks using parent tags, and name these group tags something like '01', '02', ... for automatic alphabetic ordering to take care of them.

There also seems to be a problem with imported tags... I'm ending up with "Las Vegas [1]" instead of "Las Vegas" on imports... Still tracking that down.

These are renamed automatically to avoid duplicates tags with same names. In EN3, all tag names should be unique, no matter where do they reside in the tree. The tree organization is just for grouping, and has no semantic meaning like it had in EN2 category tree.

We are unlkely to add this feature. But I'm curious about the reasoning: the more tags you have, the . If you want to organize your tags, you can group them into chunks using parent tags, and name these group tags something like '01', '02', ... for automatic alphabetic ordering to take care of them.

I use custom tag ordering in a collection of culinary information I've collected in EverNote (my eGCI ENbase). I strongly encourage you to implement custom tag ordering!!!

Surely you jest!

According to the EN3b help, "You can move move tag names to any position in the Organizer Panel using drag-and-drop. You can either drag a tag between other tags (look for the strong dark line)..."

This last obviously doesn't work right now. I can live with that, only because I'm only using a non-essential database to play with the beta for now. However, not being able to sort my tags in my order is a deal breaker for me. Just because we don't use tags the way use tags doesn't mean we're the ones that are wrong.

According to the EN3b help, "You can move move tag names to any position in the Organizer Panel using drag-and-drop. You can either drag a tag between other tags (look for the strong dark line)..."

It's a bug in help, which has a lot of work to be done yet. There is no such a feature as a custom tag ordering in EN3.

We are unlkely to add this feature.

Ouch. With 1,000+ categories in EN 2.2 (most of them Automatic Keyword Categories), I need all the organizational help I can get for EN 3's Tags and Saved Searches.

I am already going nuts with the EN 3.0 Beta's flat list of Saved Searches.

I'm not sure this will work for me either. Having the tags in my own, ordered, heirarchical list is a HUGE part of how I use EN. If this becomes a flat, alphabetical list, then most of my categories/tags become meaningless. Unless I can come up with a new tagging system, this is a deal breaker. I stop at 2.2. Is this true in all versions, or just the internet version? :?

Is that a Quarter Guru? :(

That's a double-diminutive guru. It means I'm not in your league, Marc, but I'm a heavy-duty user of Evernote, know how to make it work (for my purposes at least) quite well, and think constantly about how to use it more efficiently. It means I'm a scholar who occasionally masquerades as a geek.

+1. Custom ordering of tags/categories is a fundamental for me. All my filing systems are structured to bring related concepts together. My Explorer directories are all prefixed with numbers in order to put them into an order that makes sense to me - but I hate having to do this.

I know that there are some (odd) people who like things ordered alphabetically but there is a large community of people who like to file related things together.

In my quick skim, I haven't seen a good reason for excluding it from EN3 - I can't see how it makes life more complicated for users that don't want it.

You can always use tag grouping and corresponding tag naming to trick automatic alphabetic ordering.

"If there's a 'trick' to it, the UI is broken." --Douglas Anderson

"[P]ay attention to what users do, not what they say" --Jakob Nielson

"It is far better to adapt the technology to the user than to force the user to adapt to the technology" --Larry Marine

This appears to be a UI issue, not a user issue. Add a layer between the database and the UI to do this numbering internally, so that it appears to the user it is reordered in the manner the user wishes, even if it's not really ordered in such a way in the internal database.

Also consider how Google has handled tags and IMAP: They use a "/" to create a hierarchy in their tags, even if it's still technically just tags and not a true hierarchy. In addition, there is a script for making the tagging system of Gmail act hierarchical.

I'm not certain getting rid of the hierarchy is a good thing. I don't think tags/labels need to replace hierarchies altogether. In fact, I think they would work best if used together rather than forcing the user to go one way or another.

• 3 years later...

I have just switched from Omni Focus, and my only gripe is the custom tag sorting issue. I am a musician and often save my set-lists into the iphone as individual notes (containing various details and settings) which i can easily re-organise whenever the set changes. Drag and drop is a great solution to this. Re-numbering every single note every day is not. surely there are many more scenarios like this where custom sorting is essential

I have just switched from Omni Focus, and my only gripe is the custom tag sorting issue. I am a musician and often save my set-lists into the iphone as individual notes (containing various details and settings) which i can easily re-organise whenever the set changes. Drag and drop is a great solution to this. Re-numbering every single note every day is not. surely there are many more scenarios like this where custom sorting is essential

No need to renumber every single note every day. If your set list changes, you can sort by modification date. Or incorporate the date into the title. I often preface note titles with the date in YYYYMMDD format & sort on title. If you used this option, you can then change the date in the title.

• Level 5*

It doesn't sound as though your set lists are single notes, but here's something you could try: make a master set list in a single note, and then for each set list you need, make a new one from the master list and re-order it the way you want, adding details and settings as needed The you can keep that set list as a historical record, if that's important to you.

Archived