Unable to log out

Swefen

Hi,

Last night I was using a computer at a friends house when Evernote became unreachable, there were a few tweets about it and I kept trying for about 10 minutes without success. I had to leave, so was unable to logout as the web client wouldn't load. Now I would like to make sure that session is logged out, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do it. Does anyone have any ideas? Unfortunately travelling back to my friends in the next few days will not be possible, but unfortunately by the time it is I'm sure his teenage kids will have already been rummaging through my Evernote! Any solution? 

Help is much appreciated! 

Thanks,

D.  

• 2 weeks later...

I think Evernote should have the ability to remotely log out a session, like Gmail and Dropbox do. This would circumvent issues like the one described in this thread, plus it would enable more control over the account.

All I could find is a list of access history (under Settings) - but no control over the specific log-ins.

Thanks Malockin I do agree.

I never received a response from the Evernote support team.

Picking through the forum a lot of the solutions offered are non-software or non-technical fixes i.e. 'don't forget to log off when you're on your friends computer'. Unfortunately these solutions don't work in real life as they require pre-emptive user behaviour in all scenarios to be successful. i.e. To prevent unwarranted access from persons attempting to steal potentially sensitive information you must log out of every Evernote session on every device the moment you turn away from your screen -because currently there is no way to ensure that if you step away from your device for a moment and then get pulled into a meeting, or decide to pop out to lunch, or are required to respond to some other task, you're vulnerable to information theft as you can't remotely log out. 

Given how far back posts on this topic go I'm presuming there's no current timescale for implementation of this quite crucial feature. Until then, be watchful -thieves have a way in, and it's also a non-technical approach... "Quick, he's gone outside!"  :ph34r:

• Level 5*

As far as I can tell you are signed out of EN when you close the browser, assuming you didn't check the Remember me for a week box when you signed into EN.  So if you are on someone else's machine just close the browser.  

You can protect yourself on your own machine if you have a password protected screen saver which can be activated immediately or time wise based upon your preference.  

An option to terminate the session after a period of inactivity would be appreciated by some I am sure.  But I don't know that the above are the most onerous of preemptive user behaviors in the meantime (to forever if no changes are made).  We gotta have some accountability in the process, IMO.  

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic, I received a response! 

Go to https://www.evernote.com/AuthorizedServices.action where you can revoke access to any current sessions. It's not quite the same as Gmail or Dropbox in that it doesn't show the IP, but it does show the OS/browser which in my case was enough to identify the login.

csihliing, I can understand your argument for user accountability in some scenarios, but take the situation I've described -who is responsible for Evernote's servers being unreachable and me not being able to log out? I may lose my phone, I may be the victim of a robbery, in those scenarios I don't want someone pointing the finger at me and saying, 'hey bub, you gotta have user accountability'. Evernote have provided a technical fix, which is something you'd expect from a '100 year company' and especially a premium service.

Thanks all! 

So instead of responding to my question you made a passive aggressive comment. I have to say I find your entire contribution to this thread to be reflective of a somewhat toxic culture of user-blaming present on these forums. Before posting I said to my partner that I was likely to get these types of responses based on the responses to previous questioners.

Look, a technical solution actually existed but despite that, just like everyone else who posted previously about this problem, I ended up in a discussion over user accountability. As it stands, anyone who now has the same problem I had can find the solution they're looking for -meaning everyone benefits.

If you don't have something constructive to add, please don't comment.

• Level 5*

Well, not quite sure how you get toxic out of my comments, or passive aggressive for that matter, was it because I liked your comment in which you posted the solution?.  It's good that you found the specific solution of which I was not aware, thanks for that.  

By the same token it is appropriate for users of any application to do their own diligence in controlling access to their important data.  The only point I was making.  If it be toxic to you, which frankly I can't fathom, so be it.

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old topic but this info was worth its weight in gold to me. While suffering a wicked sore throat and other cold symptoms, I did a series of teaching sessions at a university with which I'm associated. Students moving in and out of the sessions, custodial staff needing to lock the room on schedule, one student with a forgotten coat, a number of supplies to pack up -- what with one thing and another I forgot that I had an Evernote web session active in a browser tab. If not for the tip given above, my extensive Evernote data would have been open an accessible in a Uni environment away from my control. Hopefully, my revoke has ended the session I left open inadvertently… Thanks, Swefen!

• 4 months later...

I must be thick. After being logged into my "Evernote Web" I could not find a Logout. I googled for how to logout of Evernote web and it said "Windows:  click your name in the toolbar then click Sign Out ,  or , select file Sign Out from the menu bar"   I am using Google Chrome browser. 

I cannot see the toolbar, file, or menu bar.  Where are they please?

(I know how to logout of Evernote Desktop)

Thanks DTLow.  That is one standard method, although I have always wondered why an obvious [LOGOUT] does not show up near the top RH corner on ALL sites. Sometimes you need to right-click and select logout, other times click a down arrow and select, other times click a company logo (Netflix)  etc etc.  What is it about webpage designers that they feel the need to personalise their creations for something as fundamental and security-important as logging out?  To my mind it should always be in the same position as the place you click to logIN!!!

In the case of the page I am viewing (with Windows/Google Chrome) I cannot even see any indication of my name/login name/face icon, let alone a toolbar, menu-bar or the word "File".

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, Herbie said:

In the case of the page I am viewing (with Windows/Google Chrome) I cannot even see any indication of my name/login name/face icon, let alone a toolbar, menu-bar or the word "File".

Which web version are you using?  Can you post a screenshot?

STOP WORRYING ?  I just found the solution myself.  Thanks very much anyway.

In the lower LH corner is (in my case) a "W" which is the icon for my account and Logout is in there. I was looking for an outline of a face.   Also, I realise now that the Toolbar or Menu bar is the either the column down the left hand side or the row (not a bar) of icons across the top.

As for which web version it is the free one and I assume it must be the the latest as it comes from the Evernote website/server. Where do I look for it?   My desktop version is in the usual spot under Help / About and is 6.11.2.7027

p.s.  in My Account I found a toggle between a new Evernote Web and the old version.  I tried the new one and was immediately in more familiar territory where for instance My Account is right up the top.  I would still like to see a dedicated [Logout] up in the top right-hand corner though as logging out is good practice for security reasons. 

Archived