Can you update a spreadsheet saved in evernote?

Dear Emily,

I just want to chime in to clarify a few things for you:

Any kind documents you save as an attachment to a Note, is a Copy of the original document, not the original being "moved" to Evernote.

So any time you want to edit an attached document, whatever Client (device) you're trying to make the edit on - as opposed to just viewing it - *must* also have the same software the original was created in so you can open in within that program. It should automatically launch when click on the attachment you want to edit.

Never forget to do a manual Sync after adding the newly update copy back to you note!

Cheers!

• 1 year later...

Am I correct to assume this cannot be done in Evernote for iOS with Numbers? I just tried and the only option I had when viewing the attached/embedded spreadsheet in an Evernote note was the share/action icon at the bottom, and on the share sheet, there was the icon to 'Copy to Numbers'. 

The soreadsheet was originally created in Numbers on my Mac and I have Numbers on my iPhone. 

I honestly thought I was able to do this before... 

Any thoughts? 

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, DebiB said:

Am I correct to assume this cannot be done in Evernote for iOS with Numbers? I just tried and the only option I had when viewing the attached/embedded spreadsheet in an Evernote note was the share/action icon at the bottom, and on the share sheet, there was the icon to 'Copy to Numbers'. 

The soreadsheet was originally created in Numbers on my Mac and I have Numbers on my iPhone. 

I honestly thought I was able to do this before... 

Any thoughts? 

The "Copy To Numbers" is a limitation in IOS for file attachments
The IOS Numbers app requires the file to be in the Numbers folder in iCloud

To avoid having 2 copies of my spreadsheet
I store the spreadsheet on the  iCloud drive, and use a link in the note (file:///Users/david/Library/Mobile%20Documents/com~apple~Numbers/Documents/Budget_Spreadsheet.numbers)
- The link works on my Mac.  
   In IOS, I have to launch the Numbers app to access the spreadsheet

On 12/9/2016 at 2:45 AM, DTLow said:

The "Copy To Numbers" is a limitation in IOS for file attachments
The IOS Numbers app requires the file to be in the Numbers folder in iCloud

To avoid having 2 copies of my spreadsheet
I store the spreadsheet on the  iCloud drive, and use a link in the note (file:///Users/david/Library/Mobile%20Documents/com~apple~Numbers/Documents/Budget_Spreadsheet.numbers)
- The link works on my Mac.  
   In IOS, I have to launch the Numbers app to access the spreadsheet

Thank you for the information and suggestion. Good idea! With 'Collaboration', It should work for my spreadsheets that are in notes in a shared notebook too, I assume, as that will be the needed link for accessing the spreadsheet. 

Thanks again!

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, DebiB said:

Good idea! With 'Collaboration', It should work for my spreadsheets that are in notes in a shared notebook too, I assume, as that will be the needed link for accessing the spreadsheet. 

Collaboration is another issue
You'd be better to embed the spreadsheet in your note as an attachment
Then anyone viewing the note would have access to the file

You can see the link is specific to my personal Mac environment and would not work for other users

29 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Collaboration is another issue
You'd be better to embed the spreadsheet in your note as an attachment
Then anyone viewing the note would have access to the file

But then I'd be back to where I started...where I wasn't able to edit the Numbers spreadsheet from my iOS device. I had to save it, edit it in Numbers, and then delete the original attachment and attach the new copy, which also results in multiple copies residing in the iCloud folder where I saved the file in order to edit it in Numbers, unless the older versions are always deleted there, too. :)

27 minutes ago, DTLow said:

You can see the link is specific to my personal Mac environment and would not work for other users

But the quick reading I did regarding Collaboration with iCloud Drive is that anyone who is given the link to the file can collaborate (view/edit), so I was thinking they would get the link by virtue of them having access to the note in the shared notebook. I'll have to do some more reading and test it with one of my shared users.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, DebiB said:

But the quick reading I did regarding Collaboration with iCloud Drive is that anyone who is given the link to the file can collaborate (view/edit), so I was thinking they would get the link by virtue of them having access to the note in the shared notebook. I'll have to do some more reading and test it with one of my shared users.

Theres something Apple is starting and is currently in beta
Thanks for the reminder; when it comes out of beta, I will consider replacing my current setup with this

In the Numbers application, you can share a link for collaboration
A public url is generated in the form   https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0YmxO-I_PPJRXPjlv8Yv_5Pqg#Blank

You can include the link in an Evernote note, and it works in IOS and on my Mac

14 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Theres something Apple is starting and is currently in beta
Thanks for the reminder; when it comes out of beta, I will consider replacing my current setup with this

In the Numbers application, you can share a link for collaboration
A public url is generated in the form   https://www.icloud.com/numbers/0YmxO-I_PPJRXPjlv8Yv_5Pqg#Blank

You can include the link in an Evernote note, and it works in IOS and on my Mac

Yes! That is what I was referring to. :)  Thanks for the additional info!

Does anyone know how I can Import a 'live' excel spreadsheet that can be edited by multiple users within the note itself?

i.e. I have a spreadsheet with a roster and rather than people calling or messaging me directly when they want to be on the roster, they simply can open the note and enter their own name in the colum. Whem I create a table in evernote it looks good but doesnt have the same format on a mobile device.

So i figured that if I could import the spreadsheet into the note (not simply attaching the file) but having the spreadsheet open within the note itself it would work.

• Level 5*
13 hours ago, hale22 said:

Does anyone know how I can Import a 'live' excel spreadsheet that can be edited by multiple users within the note itself?

i.e. I have a spreadsheet with a roster and rather than people calling or messaging me directly when they want to be on the roster, they simply can open the note and enter their own name in the colum. Whem I create a table in evernote it looks good but doesnt have the same format on a mobile device.

You can store the spreadsheet as an attachment in a note

You can share the note to users and give them edit access

They should be able to edit the spreadsheet attachment 

>>So i figured that if I could import the spreadsheet into the note (not simply attaching the file) but having the spreadsheet open within the note itself it would work.

There is no "import the spreadsheet".  It has to be an attachment, or get converted to a table

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, hale22 said:

You can add the spreadsheet to a note and share the note with others.  However, if multiple users update the spreadsheet at the same time someone's changes will be lost.

• 1 year later...

Archived