Search note with multiple tags

Hello, 

I'm using EN 5.5.1 (402628) Apple Store on my mac.

When i type in the search box this : tag:karine tag:voiture, this should return me all notes which contain those tags but this will return me nothing.

I tried too this syntax : any: tag:karine tag:voiture

Any help on how to search notes with multiple tags would be appreciate.

• Level 5*

When i type in the search box this : tag:karine tag:voiture, this should return me all notes which contain those tags but this will return me nothing.

This should return notes that have both of those tags.

I tried too this syntax : any: tag:karine tag:voiture

This should return notes that have either of those tags.

See: https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

• 2 years later...
On 10/28/2014 at 1:02 PM, jefito said:

This should return notes that have both of those tags.

Yes, we all agree it should. But, it doesn't or, at least, it isn't/hasn't, for him as well as for me.

Just now, DTLow said:

It seems simple enough.  Can you show a note that’s being missed by the search

On Windows Desktop version, if I set up a search to include all notes with both tags "Evernote" and "Non-techie Talk", 37 notes are listed. 

However, if I enter into the search bar "tag:Evernote tag:Non-techie Talk" - whether Desktop, Mobile or Browser versions, they all returns 0 hits. 

So, it's not about any one particular note that is not coming up. It's about Evernote's functionality on this.

I know that Evernote has asserted that it has designed each platform to behave differently, some attempt to ostensibly "optimize" for how people use the respective platforms, but I want a standard experience across all versions/platforms. I shouldn't be out somewhere trying to find a note on my phone, and having to wait till I get home, or can fire up my laptop, in order to use the Desktop version for something like this.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Duane said:

However, if I enter into the search bar "tag:Evernote tag:Non-techie Talk" - whether Desktop, Mobile or Browser versions, they all returns 0 hits. 

It's better if you post the exact search. 
Your search is for  tag:Evernote
                       and tag:Non-techie
                       and text Talk
You need to use quotes for   tag:”Non-techie Talk”

Here's my search example59a3452f4c076_ScreenShot2017-08-27at15_18_00.png.2184ca651b89f885b2efcbb7a6e8bb88.png

4 minutes ago, DTLow said:

It's better if you post the exact search. 
Your search is for  tag:Evernote
                              tag:Non-techie
                              and text Talk
You might want to use quotes for   "Non-techie Talk" 

Here's my search59a343e01ae79_ScreenShot2017-08-27at15_09_17.png.d10739c7b26d129343f47ae334a84cb4.png

You got it!

This worked, searching tag:Evernote tag:"Non-techie Talk"

This did not work, searching tag:Evernote tag:Non-techie Talk

Evidently, the single word that follows the colon with no space after it is considered the tag. Any single tag with multiple words in it requires being enclosed in quotes to ensure Evernote knows what tag to look for.

THANK YOU for your help in figuring this out.

• Level 5*
16 hours ago, Duane said:

Yes, we all agree it should. But, it doesn't or, at least, it isn't/hasn't, for him as well as for me.

The sample search that I used did not contain tag names with spaces in them, and that should work as expected.

DTLow is correct in pointing out that search terms that contain embedded space character should be quoted; this applies to tags, notebooks and also literal text searches, e.g.: notebook:"My Notebook" tag:"My Tag" "Duane is great". Without quotes, you'd get a search that's equivalent to: notebook:"My"  "Notebook" tag:"My" "Tag" "Duane" "is" "great", which is quite a different search.

More information here: https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php

I never find searching tags to work well but the tag picker at the top of the note list is brilliant. You search for one tag and it performs a predictive search, suggesting tags as you type. Then for the subsequent tag searches, it only returns tags which belong to notes which are also tagged with previously chosen ones. If there aren't many tags, it populates the drop down list with them. Doesn't matter about syntax errors and works brilliantly for what I do.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, dixonbruce said:

I never find searching tags to work well but the tag picker at the top of the note list is brilliant.

That's an IOS feature.  I'd like to see it implemented on the other platforms
edited: now in Mac v6.12

• Level 5*
32 minutes ago, DTLow said:

That's an IOS feature.  I'd liike to see it implemented on the other platforms

Works that way on Windows desktop, Shift-Alt-T or clicking on the icon in search information.

Archived