I forgot my password and the "forgot password" link does not work for me

I created a free account on my Windows machine and created a load of important notes and stored them locally. However I recently logged out of Evernote but forgot my password so I tried the 'Forgot Password' tab and entered my username and hit Reset. BUT, I keep getting an error 'Can't connect to server. please try again later'. I have been tryoing for the past 3 days and still get this error. I even tried the weppage to reset my password and no verification email has ever been sent!!! So, basically I'm completely helpness now with no way to access my notes.

If I ever recover my notes I'm going to dump Evernote and just revert to notepad - any system that relies on a remote server to allow you to access your local notes is crazy IMO as you are totally reliant on having an internet connection and a reliable server at the other end.

Can someone please tell me if theres any workaround this so that I can recover my notes???

• Level 5*

Hi.  The main problem is that you forgot your password.  Evernote doesn't rely on the server connection to show you your local notes.  If you set up a local notebook,  that's stored on your computer in a password-protected database.  Other notes (and the central idea of Evernote) are stored remotely so you can get to them from anywhere - which is why,  when opening the software,  Evernote needs an internet connection.

If you can get to the web page,  Evernote will send your verification email to the address you gave it when setting up the account.  You could also try a support request,  though as a free user you're kinda low on the food chain for responses.

I'd suggest you keep trying to set up that internet connection,  and check any email addresses you may have quoted for the account - we're a user forum,  so don't have access to anything about security anyway.  If you do raise a ticket,  please post the number here - an EN Employee might read the post and be able to help out.

I created a free account on my Windows machine and created a load of important notes and stored them locally. However I recently logged out of Evernote but forgot my password so I tried the 'Forgot Password' tab and entered my username and hit Reset. BUT, I keep getting an error 'Can't connect to server. please try again later'. I have been tryoing for the past 3 days and still get this error. I even tried the weppage to reset my password and no verification email has ever been sent!!! So, basically I'm completely helpness now with no way to access my notes.

If I ever recover my notes I'm going to dump Evernote and just revert to notepad - any system that relies on a remote server to allow you to access your local notes is crazy IMO as you are totally reliant on having an internet connection and a reliable server at the other end.

Can someone please tell me if theres any workaround this so that I can recover my notes???

Well, Evernote is a cloud app...  If you don't want a cloud app, then Evernote may not be the app for you. 

Secondly, it would appear you not only forgot your password but set up an account with an email address you no longer have access to, since you're not getting the "forgot password" email.  (I'm assuming you've checked your spam folder?)  That's not Evernote's fault. 

Third, if you simply close the app (instead of logging out), you don't need to log in to get access into the app. 

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/66740-login-when-offline/

Thanks for your responses.

BurgersNFries - I DO have access to the email that I used to set up evernote. I entered my (Valid)  email address in the forgot password page on the web  and pressed reset but Evernote never sent me a reset email message. (and yes I did look in my spam folder). I have tried this numerous times. There's not even a confirmation that an email was sent - it just takes you back to the 'forgot password' page. That IS Evernotes fault not mine I would have thought.

I've raised a ticket and can only hope they will get back to me but in the meantime if anyone else has any paractical suggestions on a workaround that would allow allow me to access my notes,  I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived