what is evernote doing to compete google keep

Evernote has given no indication that they are planning on changing their fee structure or offering any kind of a la carte option. But then they don't often discuss their roadmap. Offline access to notebooks on mobile devices is only one of the features you get as a premium subscriber, so it's not $45 for that one feature regardless of the fact that is the only feature that you care about. 

You may have access to your notes offline if they are still in the app cache. However, there is no guaranty that they will be there or that they will remain there. 

Evernote has given no indication that they are planning on changing their fee structure or offering any kind of a la carte option. But then they don't often discuss their roadmap. Offline access to notebooks on mobile devices is only one of the features you get as a premium subscriber, so it's not $45 for that one feature regardless of the fact that is the only feature that you care about. 

You may have access to your notes offline if they are still in the app cache. However, there is no guaranty that they will be there or that they will remain there. 

ok, Sir. thank you for creating this wonderful app. I am happy with basic free version. I am using it everyday so all depends on it that is why I was wondering that I have access to all my content all the time. though I am sure offline notes are always there. hope to see more exciting features in future. thanks

Evernote don't only need to look at Keep but at all its competitors, which I am sure they do. As far as introducing further useful features are concerned they will surely be working on that too but no one outside the company knows on what they are working & when they will introduce what. We users have to accept that.

what evernote planning to compete google keep. they need to include more useful free features.

Evernote already provides a lot of "useful free features".

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/12981-offline-synch-should-not-be-a-premium-feature/?p=62104

If one likes an app/service, one should want that app/service to be profitable so they can continue to exist & one should be willing to pay the devs for their hard work, so they can continue to work on the app/service. I doubt many of us here work for free...

what evernote planning to compete google keep. they need to include more useful free features.

Evernote already provides a lot of "useful free features".

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/12981-offline-synch-should-not-be-a-premium-feature/?p=62104

If one likes an app/service, one should want that app/service to be profitable so they can continue to exist & one should be willing to pay the devs for their hard work, so they can continue to work on the app/service. I doubt many of us here work for free...

no Sir, this is very ancient thinking what you are talking about. we are coming in age of open source. all the browsers, libreoffice and almost all of the applications are free and yet they are begging people to use their apps. because even though they are free for users yet they earning money by other ways. change your thinking or your condition would be same like microsoft in portable devices (windows is free for that now but they learned too slow). there is too much competition in market. one wrong turn and Google Keep provide a few more features then people are very unfaithful now a days. keep is going to be among google apps from next version of android. I love evernote. but don't take for granted the free majority user-base that evernote get because it was the first in the business.

no Sir, this is very ancient thinking what you are talking about. we are coming in age of open source. all the browsers, libreoffice and almost all of the applications are free and yet they are begging people to use their apps. because even though they are free for users yet they earning money by other ways. change your thinking or your condition would be same like microsoft in portable devices (windows is free for that now but they learned too slow). there is too much competition in market. one wrong turn and Google Keep provide a few more features then people are very unfaithful now a days. keep is going to be among google apps from next version of android. I love evernote. but don't take for granted the free majority user-base that evernote get because it was the first in the business.

Sorry, but as someone who gets paid for writing code, I'd have to say maybe in your world of phone apps, that may be the case.  But in the great big, wide, wonderful world, there are still a lot of people who get paid (and quite well, I might add) for writing code.  And there are companies that pay good money (and often BIG money) for code.  EN already provides a lot of free stuff as I indicated.  Asking for more free stuff is just...well...low class.

I'm not sure why you say "don't take for granted the free majority user-base that evernote get because it was the first in the business.".  Who cares?  (And kind of to my point.)  If EN loses free customers, what's the down side?  Providing less disk/storage space for the free users?  Providing support for the free users?  Bandwidth?  I have paid for premium for several years now.  I want EN to succeed.  I am happy to pay a nominal fee for a service that I use each & every day.  Most of us started out as free users.  But your flagrant claim that the free users rule the world & EN should provide a whole lot more features to free users is just silly & not very becoming.

Sorry, but as someone who gets paid for writing code, I'd have to say maybe in your world of phone apps, that may be the case.  But in the great big, wide, wonderful world, there are still a lot of people who get paid (and quite well, I might add) for writing code.  And there are companies that pay good money (and often BIG money) for code.  EN already provides a lot of free stuff as I indicated.  Asking for more free stuff is just...well...low class.

I'm not sure why you say "don't take for granted the free majority user-base that evernote get because it was the first in the business.".  Who cares?  (And kind of to my point.)  If EN loses free customers, what's the down side?  Providing less disk/storage space for the free users?  Providing support for the free users?  Bandwidth?  I have paid for premium for several years now.  I want EN to succeed.  I am happy to pay a nominal fee for a service that I use each & every day.  Most of us started out as free users.  But your flagrant claim that the free users rule the world & EN should provide a whole lot more features to free users is just silly & not very becoming.

I am sure sir that you have no idea about new models of software building at all. and you not run any software business in your life. or you would know that most of the free software companies literally begging on their knees to use their software. opensource has almost take over the world and currently running 90 percent of portable devices. desktops have free software for everything already. Evernote itself is free and yes asking for more free features is fair because they need to be scared from competition who is ready to do anything to get this free user-base. firefox never say like you "it is free, what do you expect". go to their website they are asking for suggestions all the time (and they also have server things to provide best service like every other freeware company). Have you ever developed anything in your life? you would have known value of free users. I am not saying you to make it open source and give away the code. even that going to be a good deal soon. thank you.

• Level 5*

Alright. This thread is devolving into ad hominem attacks. It's going to get locked if it continues. Please stick to the topic and discuss the issues instead of the people.

In this case, I'd say that Evernote is open to suggestions from users (that's one function of this forum) and it is constantly adding new features for Free users (the latest example that I can think of is when it provided Free users with the ability to share a notebook with full modification privileges -- a powerful feature).

Personally, I am not terribly impressed by Keep or OneNote, but I hope (and expect) that Evernote is keeping close tabs on their competition as they continue to improve their service. Perhaps some reports from users in the field will help them out, so feel free to make suggestions for features, though I recommend you make them as specific as possible with some justification. Developers have likely discussed a lot of our suggestions already (it is, after all, their bread and butter), but I imagine it helps to know what users plan to do with features.

• Level 5*

Evernote provides a very usable free service. The premium service provides some extras (including increased upload limits and offline notebooks for mobile clients), and Evernote wants you to pay for them. Sometimes those premium features are wanted by people who don't want to pay for them. That's too bad: Feel free to complain about it here, but if/until Evernote's policy changes, you'll need to either pay up or use another product.

If Google Keep is eating significantly into Evernote's premium uptake, then it seems likely that they'd figure out a way to adjust. I don't see any numbers on the relative usage of Google Keep vs. Evernote, but I don't see a lot of recent buzz about Keep (as there was shortly after Keeep was introduced). If Evernote's ahead of Keep, then why would they really need to worry about them, aside from the normal due diligence competition they're probably doing internally?

• Level 5*

Is any software truly "free"? Seems that it often has a way of costing us something.

Yes. Evernote is free and will always be free according to the developers. You can use it for the rest of your life that way if you want and, over time, more and more features will accrue. Of course, if you meant that in a more metaphysical way, I guess I'd have to agree that nothing is free. Are we even free to "choose" a free service?

Is any software truly "free"? Seems that it often has a way of costing us something.

I think a good case could be made for the free version of Evernote being more truly free than Google Keep. It's important to remember that, no matter how useful Google services are, they are not Google's primary product. The information they sell to advertisers about us, the folks who use those services is. We may not be paying with money but we are paying.

Best of luck.

• Level 5*

I think a good case could be made for the free version of Evernote being more truly free than Google Keep. It's important to remember that, no matter how useful Google services are, they are not Google's primary product. The information they sell to advertisers about us, the folks who use those services is. We may not be paying with money but we are paying.

Best of luck.

Indeed. In Google, you and your data are the product, so it is not free. You have to give yourself up. It's one of the reasons I long ago minimized my use of Google (it's tough to completely avoid it). There was a time when I literally paid Google for the privilege of having my data exploited (I paid for Google Drive). What a fool I was.

Of course if you are referring to selling personal data, Evernote, unlike many other companies, does not do this. While free users see ads, personal data is not mined to sell or personalize ads. Evernote's revenue, unlike, for example google's, doesn't rely primarily on advertising.

So yeah, in a lot of ways, there's no such thing as a free lunch, including with Evernote, but Evernote's about as free as it gets I'd say! :)

Archived