Evernote's Windows desktop app needs better touch controls

Evernote's desktop app doesn't work very well with touch input. I propose the following changes:

1. Evernote ought to use standard Windows scrollbars so that changes to scrollbar width made in Windows are inherited by Evernote. Failing that, an option to adjust scrollbar width would be nice.
  2. The contents of a note should be scrollable using touch input.
  3. A full-screen reading mode with touch scrolling would be super awesome.

Thank you!

• Level 5*

Evernote are looking at the touch integration because of various user issues with it - and Phil Libin has famously promised a review of all clients for bugs and overall usability - the developers read these posts,  so I'd hope your suggestions will be considered carefully soon.  That's not to say they can be implemented - there are always technical and commercial issues to consider..

• 1 month later...

Seems like there are several issues with the Windows desktop client of Evernote on recent hardware and versions of the OS... it doesn't obey Windows DPI scaling, touch control isn't consistent across the UI, and it seems like feature additions lag compared to other versions of the software (markup as PDF, etc...).

On a personal note, I wish that ink could be integrated into notes similar to the Android update that was recently released. It seems like ink notes have been left to stagnate. And while I appreciate image annotation being built in, it would be excellent to have a "markup entire note as PDF" option the way Macs and iPads do. I also have poor marker performance making it necessary to write very slowly and deliberately, although I can circle the heck out of things just fine for whatever reason.

** Changed c*r*a*p to "poor" so the forum doesn't censor me.

• 1 month later...

The lack of touch scrolling on the notes panel is indeed a pain.

But this seems to be a wider issue with Windows 8.x; the same problem occurs with Outlook 2013, the contents of an email don't scroll using touch (even though the list of emails does....)

....very strange.

And does anyone else have problems with the Evernote Touch App? I installed it bit it stalled after importing about 1/3 of my notes. I re-installed the app - and now it won't do anything at all!!

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Evernote's desktop app doesn't work very well with touch input. I propose the following changes:

1. Evernote ought to use standard Windows scrollbars so that changes to scrollbar width made in Windows are inherited by Evernote. Failing that, an option to adjust scrollbar width would be nice.
  2. The contents of a note should be scrollable using touch input.
  3. A full-screen reading mode with touch scrolling would be super awesome.

Thank you!

I was going to post something about scrolling with touch, but then ran across this post. I agree. I just returned from a 4 hour meeting, during which I used Evernote (on a standard Win 8.1 touch screen notebook using the Windows application) to take notes (as I usually do). My notes are typically chronological and bulleted. However, during the meeting, I also add additional notes to various sections pertaining to the presenter, or topic. This means I must scroll up/down in my note to get to the appropriate section. It would very helpful if EverNote would let me simply use my finger on the screen to scroll up/down in the note as needed (like MS Word). Instead, all that does for me is start highlighting a section of text on the screen which is a bit dangerous if I happen to bump any other key after doing so since that would then overwrite what was accidentally highlighted.

Please change this touch behavior to scroll in a note instead of highlight..or at least make it an option for those of us that have a keyboard.

• 7 months later...

It makes me sad that this was posted in 2014, it is now in Q4 of 2015 and we are still waiting on better touch controls for Evernote.  I am a huge fan and paying user, even as an employee of MSFT but I am going to have to seriously consider moving to OneNote for my devices.  It really just does not feel like the cross platform solution it once was nor is it getting the development support it should. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I am new to these forums, and am surprised that Evernote do not put up any replies to these comments.

I would like to know when I can expect touch screen scrolling in Windows 10.

If it is not coming soon, then I may have to move to OneNote - which would be a shame.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, ssnell said:

I am new to these forums, and am surprised that Evernote do not put up any replies to these comments.

I would like to know when I can expect touch screen scrolling in Windows 10.

If it is not coming soon, then I may have to move to OneNote - which would be a shame.

Hi.  Evernote doesn't (usually) respond to comments,  or issue updates on whether or when new features will be released.  You may like to join the beta channel for whatever devices you operate so as to get the latest features a little earlier,  but otherwise it's a case of wait and see...

• Level 5*

Well.  Now here's some potentially interesting news...

http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/3/14502748/windows-10-cloud-leaked-screenshots

" Windows 10 Cloud is reportedly a lightweight version of Microsoft’s OS that will be able to run on low-cost PCs targeted at the education and business sectors."

" ZDNet is reporting that Windows 10 Cloud is designed to only run universal apps from the Windows Store, which means visual changes may not have been needed. We still don’t know when Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 Cloud "

windows_cloud_leak_1.jpg.a84680fb9eeab3000dddcb89a2ae9c7f.jpg

Interesting pictures...

19 hours ago, gazumped said:

" Windows 10 Cloud is reportedly a lightweight version of Microsoft’s OS that will be able to run on low-cost PCs targeted at the education and business sectors."

" ZDNet is reporting that Windows 10 Cloud is designed to only run universal apps from the Windows Store, which means visual changes may not have been needed. We still don’t know when Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 Cloud "

Interesting pictures...

Interesting.

It seems something like Chrome OS: Microsoft accepted the war on low cost PC, a battle that Chromebooks are winning 100%.

Not sure it will give a touch version of Evernote, or it will be just a "frame" of the Web version of Evernote, that we already have.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Interesting pictures...

This has nothing to do with touch controls though. That's the Evernote version which is already in the Store today, which is basically the same as the desktop version.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, IvanPsy said:

Interesting.

It seems something like Chrome OS: Microsoft accepted the war on low cost PC, a battle that Chromebooks are winning 100%.

Not sure it will give a touch version of Evernote, or it will be just a "frame" of the Web version of Evernote, that we already have.

Well Microsoft already tried this with Windows 8 RT, and failed. My guess is that the only difference this time is that this Windows version will be free for everyone and will also work on desktop architecture. But I wouldn't say that Chromebooks are winning anything. Chromebooks are still relatively expensive, and you can already get laptops with full Windows for the same price.

Archived