(Archived) Would like real life experience with Doxie Go and EyeFi card

I am curious to hear from anyone using a Doxie Go scanner with EyeFi card.  My wife saves all her paper receipts in a drawer, and I do mean ALL receipts.  My goal in getting a Doxie Go with EyeFi card would be the ability to sit in front of the TV at the end of the day and simply feed in each receipt for that day; ending up with each receipt being word searchable (i.e. find that WalMart receipt from last week) 

It is my understanding that when using the EyeFi card, each scan will be sent to EN as a JPG file.  I think I read that even the free version of EN will do text recognition on JPG, but I would be willing to pay for premium if it will improve the quality or timeliness of the text recognition.

Since I have a habit of spending money on things that work great in theory only to find that the real life experience is less than stellar, I wanted to ask if anyone has experience with this process.

I'm familiar with EN and its organizing tools, as I use it heavily for all our paperwork, but I deal primarily with word searchable PDFs.  I suppose I can snap a photo of some receipts with my smart phone as a test, but I would expect the Doxie would do a better job scanning.

I looked at the Doxie product and was not very impressed. I think they are all marketing hype. After doing lots of research, I bought the Xerox Mobile Scanner (http://www.xeroxscanners.com/en/us/products/XMS/default.asp?PN=XMS). Not only has this product won an Editor's Choice award from PC Magazine (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2399341,00.asp), it comes with a custom Eye-Fi card that lets you scan and save your files to PDF without having to first open them on your computer!

Since getting this little scanner, I have scanned all my recipes (the ones laying all over that I have torn out of magazines) to PDF and have my Eye-Fi card instantly upload everything to my Evernote account. Now when I am at the store and need to know what to buy, I just open Evernote on my phone, search for the recipe and have my entire ingredient list. 

I'm sure this process would work exactly the same for your wife's receipts! Good luck!

I picked up the Doxie One after looking at both it and Doxie Go.  I went with the Doxie One as it was $55 cheaper than the Doxie Go (Amazon pricing at the time, Amazon Prime member so I get free two day shipping) I also liked the idea of using replaceable batteries instead of the built in battery on the Doxie Go.  If the Doxie Go battery runs out of juice, you need to plug it in to continue scanning.  With Doxie One, you can just swap out batteries. Make sure you get the NiMH type battery - It don't work on alkalines. 

I did confirm with Doxie support that I could use a EyeFi card with it if I wanted to and set it up to send the scans to Evernote.  However, I just scan things to a SD Card and when I have time, I plug the SD Card into the PC where I have the Doxie software installed and process the scans.  I usually save things as PDF directly into Evernote.  Its as easy to do that as saving to JPEG.  Even if I sent the images directly to Evernote, I would likely still have to do some sort of processing of the note - naming, tagging, sorting into the right notebook, etc. 

ScannerMom, I will say that Doxie does what they say it does.  I have found it to be quite useful as my "kitchen table" scanner to go through the mail and other "daily paper" I accumulate before I get home. It does only scan one page at a time, but it does it fairly quickly and I can feed one page in after another with no problem.  Their customer service has been very responsive when I had some question or other.  I found it to be one of those products that "just work". Jim, it should work for your receipts project just fine. 

I will say Evernote's text recognition in images always kind of amazes me.  Its success does seem to be kind of unpredictable - there have been times when I had a clear image of what I thought was pretty plain text and EN would not pick it up.  Then I have a camera phone image of a paper towel on which my vet scribbled "glucosomine" and Evernote found it just fine.  Something to play with. 

I also have experience using both the Doxie Go and the Doxie One with an Eye-Fi and it works quite well.

Originally I had a fully automated setup going, which I wrote about here: http://www.documentsnap.com/doxie-go-wireless-automated-workflow/.

I've since changed to Braincutlery's workflow which he outlined here, because I can then just have the Doxie software pop up whenever I start up my laptop and staple etc. things as needed: http://braincutlery.co.uk/2013/01/12/using-hazel-to-kick-start-your-doxie-workflow/.

Even if you don't want to get into Hazel automation wackiness, the hardware works well.

bduncan,

I like the work flow in your original set up.  I wonder if I can get something similar running on my Linux server.

In the mean time it appears that the free EN service does what my wife needs with jpg's.  I did a couple tests with my cell phone snapping photos last night and they were word searchable in my EN account a few minutes later.  Interestingly, the free EN does not seem to do OCR on non word searchable PDFs.

I have my own work flow that works for me, but the ONLY way my wife will go digital if its as simple as just feeding them into the scanner.  She seemed happy with the EN software last night; so as long as the scanner and Eye-Fi card is stable, I think I can sell her on this.

• 1 month later...

I have the doxie go set up to send files directly to EN via wifi. The doxie works really well except that the battery life is pretty woeful. I can usually scan about 50 sheets before it dies. I was also surprised that it doesn't come with a power adapter. It's great for every day scanning but not ideal for big scanning jobs.

The work flow is blissfully easy. Turn on. Feed in paper and it is in my EN inbox within a minute. I just use jpeg and the EN OCR does the job. If I have multiple pages I just merge the notes in EN.

Is there no way to have the scan be sent as a PDF (without the need to convert from a jpg) from the beginning? I typically only scan photos as JPG. Everything else is PDF.

If you want to use the Doxie, no. It scans everything as JPG natively.

• 1 month later...

Archived