Skitch for Mac and iOS v 2.5 is Live

Joe Lopez

Idea

We just released Skitch 2.5 for both the Mac and iOS.

You can read the blog all about 2.5 here: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/04/18/the-new-skitch-for-mac-and-ios-the-fastest-friendliest-way-to-give-feedback-on-pdfs/

With 2.5 we are introducing a new PDF markup capability, along with a host of other changes, bug fixes, and improvements.

The official release notes are below, but I wanted to highlight a few more things that you'll notice in 2.5:

• Updated iOS UI - We've made some small tweaks to the UI to make it easier to read and see buttons, tools, and controls. 
  • Improved iOS stability & bug fixes - We've made a ton of bug fixes and enhancements to the stability of iOS.
  • Updated Mac UI - We've made icons easier to read and improved some UI elements to make it easier on the eyes.
  • Export & Drag Me support for PDFs - Mac users can export any image as a PDF using either the export or Drag Me functions.
  • Plain Text - Both the Mac and iOS now have the ability to render just plain text instead of the stylized Skitch text. Plain text can be resized, but not have its color changed.
  • Saving behavior - We've made a tweak to saving to ensure that markups are never lost. Now Skitch will automatically save any markups to an existing Skitch Note provided you've already saved it to your library.
  • Cropping - Cropping has been slightly changed so the crop box now starts at the corners in order to make it easier to adjust the window like you want it.
  • Improved Mac stability & bug fixes - Just like iOS we've made a ton of bug fixes and improvements in the stability of the app.
  • Added more languages on both platforms. We now support: English, Dutch, Portuguese, French, Brazilian Portuguese, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, and Vietnamese.

Skitch Mac & iOS are both available via the App Store (all countries should be updated or in the process of updating). Skitch Mac is also available for direct download at: http://evernote.com/skitch

Official Release notes:

New in 2.5:

- View PDF documents in Skitch with any registered Evernote account.

-  Opening a PDF will start your complimentary 30 day access to the Premium PDF Annotation Feature. Evernote Premium users have full access. 

- The new Summary makes it easy for others to see the annotations you've shared with them at a glance.

- Stamps help you give feedback more quickly; place them to approve, reject, or call attention to parts of an image

- Tips for first-time users give you easy access to helpful resources

37 replies to this idea

@Walker3000

Can you please provide some more details?

When you say "Only saves page 1 of 2.." what do you mean by "save"? Do you mean it does not save the two pages as a note to Evernote? It does not export/Drag Me properly? 

Skitch does not actually edit your pages themselves when saved to Evernote, so it would be strange for any pages to not show.

When you say it hangs while printing, what is hanging? Skitch, or your printer? If it is Skitch that would be the first time we've heard of this bug. Does it happen with any PDF or just the one that doesn't appear to be working?

If it is your printer, then that is something between your printer and OSX. In that case I would recommend checking the manufacturer of your printer for any updated drivers. 

Thanks for your reply. When I want to save the marked up PDF to my desktop, it only saves pg 1. Pg 2 is missing, so I can't send the marked up PDF to a colleague. I didn't check Evernote.

When I go to print, Skitch hangs and I get the spinning beach ball of death. My drivers are up to date. This is a printer that serves the entire company. I DO have an issue printing from Safari. It crashes every time on the second printing request (not the first). This is a common issue on forums. Not sure if it is related.

I only tried the one pdf. I will try others.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your replies in #18 Joe.

1. Moving stamps: Yes, I suspect that I still had multiple stamps selected.

2. This descrbes the way I work, so appreciate your comment.

3. Did not know about double-tap, so thanks.

4. Maybe my fingers are too big :). Once I expand the image I can select the delete mark, but I still can't get it to work with the image at default zoom.

@ggrinton

4. Maybe my fingers are too big  :). Once I expand the image I can select the delete mark, but I still can't get it to work with the image at default zoom.

Ha. You know there is some truth to that. While the default size of a finger tap on an iOS device is "big" there are a lot of fingers that don't fit that target. I for one often "fat finger" when I try and type on an iPhone's keyboards and I like to consider my hands to be average size. 

A couple of problems/questions when editing a pdf.  When I share the annotated pdf, the Skitch Summary that appears in the email is blank.  The Skitch Summary also becomes an additional page in the annotated pdf.  The original page number referenced in the Skitch Summary no longer matches the page number in the annotated pdf.   Is there a way to resolve this?  Thanks.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s12/sh/f469aa14-bbfe-4a28-82b9-0d5e99673c02/aaab9201e38cf38ce98e86923a789257

@BasieBand

When I share the annotated pdf, the Skitch Summary that appears in the email is blank.

Which mail client is that you are using to view the note? Unfortunately once the email is sent the display of the summary is up to the mail client. Not all clients treat the summary page content the same. If possible you may want to check and see if you client is blocking the downloading of any graphics. We are looking into a different way of sending this same data and displaying it, but again every mail client treats HTML emails differently.

Summary also becomes an additional page in the annotated pdf.  The original page number referenced in the Skitch Summary no longer matches the page number in the annotated pdf.   Is there a way to resolve this?

This is actually the correct behavior by the design. We inject a summary page into the document, but that summary page is not part of your original document. So the page reference (p6 in your example) corresponds to P6 of your actual doc, not the number of pages in the PDF. 

I can see how this could be confusing, but we wanted to avoid the confusion where you if you have the pages marked with page numbers in the original PDF, then the reference in the Snippet would make sense.

ex: Page 6 of your PDF says "Page 6" in the footer, then the Snippet calling out the markup on "P6" would make sense referencing that actual page.

@Walker3000

Can you please provide some more details?

When you say "Only saves page 1 of 2.." what do you mean by "save"? Do you mean it does not save the two pages as a note to Evernote? It does not export/Drag Me properly? 

Skitch does not actually edit your pages themselves when saved to Evernote, so it would be strange for any pages to not show.

When you say it hangs while printing, what is hanging? Skitch, or your printer? If it is Skitch that would be the first time we've heard of this bug. Does it happen with any PDF or just the one that doesn't appear to be working?

If it is your printer, then that is something between your printer and OSX. In that case I would recommend checking the manufacturer of your printer for any updated drivers. 

@BasieBand

When I share the annotated pdf, the Skitch Summary that appears in the email is blank.

Which mail client is that you are using to view the note? Unfortunately once the email is sent the display of the summary is up to the mail client. Not all clients treat the summary page content the same. If possible you may want to check and see if you client is blocking the downloading of any graphics. We are looking into a different way of sending this same data and displaying it, but again every mail client treats HTML emails differently.

>

Summary also becomes an additional page in the annotated pdf.  The original page number referenced in the Skitch Summary no longer matches the page number in the annotated pdf.   Is there a way to resolve this?

This is actually the correct behavior by the design. We inject a summary page into the document, but that summary page is not part of your original document. So the page reference (p6 in your example) corresponds to P6 of your actual doc, not the number of pages in the PDF. 

I can see how this could be confusing, but we wanted to avoid the confusion where you if you have the pages marked with page numbers in the original PDF, then the reference in the Snippet would make sense.

ex: Page 6 of your PDF says "Page 6" in the footer, then the Snippet calling out the markup on "P6" would make sense referencing that actual page.

I am using gmail.  I do not see a way to view the Skitch Summary within the email.  I think this is a problem because there is no way to know if the recipient can view the Skitch Summary.

I understand your reasoning regarding the page numbering within the annotated pdf.  But in some cases the original pages are not numbered or the numbering begins after a header page or index.  In any case, the page number shown on the pdf reader will always be off because you have added a page or more with the Skitch Summary.  Again, the recipient may become confused and not respond as desired.

On my Mac, the "Get Started" splash screen comes up, dims the background, and clicking "Get Started" doesn't dismiss the screen, so Skitch is just stuck. I have to force quit it in order to click anything on my screen.

I can see that the "trouble syncing" dialog box is popped up in the background, but everythings frozen so I can't dismiss that either

Same problem here.  Can't force quit the app and skitch blocks a shut down of the mac.

@Walker3000

So how are you saving to the desktop? Are you using Drag Me or Export? Is this a 1 page PDF or does it have multiple pages? I'm just trying to understand if this is a 1 page PDF and you are expecting the Summary page to be present or if this is a 2 page PDF and the second isn't exporting.

When you use Drag Me or Export is the type set to PDF or some image format? Skitch will only Drag Me, or Export, the full PDF document when the type is set to PDF. Any image format will only Drag Me/Export the current page.

The printing problem has me at a loss. If you having problems printing from other apps, then it most likely an issue with OSX and your printer configuration. 

If you can send me your Activity Log via a private message that might help us diagnose the problem. Follow the instructions below to send the info to me:

13%2011:38%20AM.png

The note created in Evernote after a PDF is created and annotated by Skitch on my iPad has the pink "Markup with Skitch" bar at the top on the Windows app.  However, Skitch for Windows does not open when I click on the indicator.  Should Skitch for Windows open or should not Skitch bar not appear on this note?  Thanks again.

When trying to open PDF the app gets non-responsive and have to be force-quit'ed.. Tried to reset Evernote pswd and so forth. So luck, just goes to the drain every-time I try to access the PDF feature  :(

@HenrikE - Are you using the latest version of Skitch? We published 2.6 a few weeks back. 

What kind of content is inside the PDF? There are certain types of complex PDFs that may not work well in Skitch. 

Luis can you please go to:

Settings -> Activity Log (near the bottom) and touch Mail to send us the log. This information may help us figure out the cause of any issues you are seeing. Also if you are prompted to submit a crash report, please do so.

On my Mac, the "Get Started" splash screen comes up, dims the background, and clicking "Get Started" doesn't dismiss the screen, so Skitch is just stuck. I have to force quit it in order to click anything on my screen.

I can see that the "trouble syncing" dialog box is popped up in the background, but everythings frozen so I can't dismiss that either

same problem. I solved it by reseting my password.

Unfortunately skitch still can't sync with evernote. 

Will somebody please confirm that opening a PDF file from an existing note and editing it in Skitch will save the updated PDF file back to the note ans sync to Evernote. Thanks 

@If you are using iOS then yes, you can open a PDF from an existing note. Skitch Mac currently doesn't have that ability, but soon will.

Skitch, by design, does not alter an existing PDF. We take the position that the existing PDF, is your original and we do not want to alter it. Skitch creates a copy of the PDF and opens that up for annotation and then creates a new note when you save & sync. With this method you perserve the original and then can continue to annotate and re-annotate the PDF over and over. 

You can copy the new annotated PDF to your other Evernote Note (Use Drag Me, or Export), but it's important to note that you will not be able to edit the annotations after you do this. We flatten the file on Drag Me or Export in order to ensure all annotations are preserved with the document. 

same problem. I solved it by reseting my password.

Unfortunately skitch still can't sync with evernote. 

@dirkt - I'll send you a private message with some suggestions.

Like the new stamps but ... it would make them double-plus gooder if the little circle of marching ants had hints at the places you can point a stamp at.

Zimpenfish - Glad you like the new stamps and thanks for the feedback. We tested a bunch of different ways to make Stamps easy to manipulate, and in the end settled on the single blue handle. The current implementation of stamps is locked to those fixed points, but in the future we may switch to a 360 positioning option so it would be tricky for us to indicate all of the points without it looking odd. That said perhaps we can show some arrows to indicate you can click here to drag out the tail and move it around.

Also just in case you were wondering the label currently moves based on which side the tail is pointing. It moves automatically.

• Level 5

Thanks for the info on how the label behaves, Joe. I have to admit I haven't played with it yet - but I wondered about that aspect.

I'm also wondering how this stacks up against PDFPen (for instance). I would think it's "lighter" which is always helpful.

A couple of comments on stamps - as I found them in version 2.5.1 on my iPad.

I like the idea, but as with a lot of things, version 1 may need a few tweaks!

1. When I create two stamps, they seem to be linked together. If I try to move the second one, the first one moves as well. If I try to move the first one, that works OK. Deleting the second one deletes any other one that is linked. I suspect the behaviour is rather more complex when thre are multiple stamps.

2. When I add a label, there is a default label inserted. If I want to put in my own text, I need to delete the existing label one character at a time. It would be preferable that the whole text is "selected" so that if I start typing my own label, it replaces the default.

3. There seems to be no way to edit the text in a label to a stamp.

4. If I select a stamp by touching it, I see a blue x against the label. It looks as if I should be able to delete the label by touching that, but I cannot do so.

The update has gotten stuck on my iPad. Skitch doesn't appear to be installed anymore, but I can't stop or continue the download.

I've seen this happen before with iOS. Sometimes it hangs when trying to do an update.

What I've done in the past to fix this problem is:

• Shut off your iPad for a little bit (I usually gave it 10 mins)
  • Start up, and check to see if the Skitch icon is showing
  • If the icon is showing check to see if it is continuing with the download
  • If the icon is showing and the download has not started try long pressing on the icon and see if you can get the X to appear. If so then touch that and delete the icon.
  • If the icon is not showing, go to the app store and try downloading again.

These are the actions I've tried in the past to resolve this iOS problem.

@ggrinton, Thanks for the feedback. I've got a few questions and tips for you. 

A couple of comments on stamps - as I found them in version 2.5.1 on my iPad.

I like the idea, but as with a lot of things, version 1 may need a few tweaks!

1. When I create two stamps, they seem to be linked together. If I try to move the second one, the first one moves as well. If I try to move the first one, that works OK. Deleting the second one deletes any other one that is linked. I suspect the behaviour is rather more complex when thre are multiple stamps.

I think what is probably happening is you have both stamps selected at the same time. If you see 2 (or more) stamps moving at the same time, try tapping anywhere else on the canvas (but not on another Skitch annotation). That should de-select the stamps. No tap on just one and you should only have one selected and able to move just it. 

2. When I add a label, there is a default label inserted. If I want to put in my own text, I need to delete the existing label one character at a time. It would be preferable that the whole text is "selected" so that if I start typing my own label, it replaces the default.

Thanks for this feedback. We tried it the other way and thought it was too easy to accidentally delete the default text. This kind of feedback is very helpful for us when evaluating the feature going forward. 

3. There seems to be no way to edit the text in a label to a stamp.

Not sure I understand what you mean.

To delete a label simply tap on the Stamp and touch the "X" at the end of the label.

To edit the default text, or any text you've created, after you have placed the stamp simply double tap on the label. 

4. If I select a stamp by touching it, I see a blue x against the label. It looks as if I should be able to delete the label by touching that, but I cannot do so.

You can delete a label by touching the "X". Please make sure though you don't have 2 stamps sitting on top of each other. If you have two stamps right on top of each other iOS might not interpret your tap correctly. 

Thanks again for the feedback and please let us know if you run into more issues. 

Archived