Fujitsu Snapscan very basic question re:JPEG vs. PDF

idoc

Sorry to have to ask a question this basic but I can't figure out the answer from the manual or from researching it. Is it possible to scan multiple pages into the scanner (eg: a journal article) and to have it store it in One evernote note (not in multiple notes)? For some reason, if I scan in an article of 10 pages it scans into 10 seperate notes. This does not happen when I select pdf as the profile. I was thinking that for scanning in journal articles it may be more advantageous to have it done in jpeg format than pdf because you can see the article in the note rather than simply a pdf icon.

I have found the same limitation myself, if I have just two or three sheets of a document and want to make them totally visible I use the JPG format. Most of the time I have found that the PDF format works best for larger documents. One work around I've found if I have a number of the JPG files, I will use a program called PDF merge available on the web and it will merge those JPG files into a PDF document.

David in Wichita

Hi idoc. As others have said, I have a profile set for Color Single, Color Double, Gray Single and Gray Double. Each of these are either color or grayscale and single or double sided pages. On the Scanning page I checked "Continue scanning after current scan is finished". This causes the pages to scan into a single PDF document and I have to specifically break the pages into separate documents. This way if I load a stack of pages it will automatically put them all together in the PDF and if there is a paper jam or I run through the first stack I can continue with minimal trouble.

I am pretty sure the PDF would be easier to OCR than the jpegs, and they are certainly smaller and easier to move around, especially on my Mac with built-in basuc PDF handling. Even with a Win-PC I would use PDFs.

Hope it helps.

I think that the limitation of not being able to see which pdf contains your search term is a pretty big limitation for me. For example, I scan a lot of articles from medical journals into EN. They are kept as pdf files in individual notes. When I want to search for a search term such as "vitrectomy", I get 10 different notes each one of which contains a pdf file. I have a very specific idea of which article I am looking for but I can't tell which pdf it's in unless I open them one by one and conduct searches within each one. I have found a work-around which isn't bad. I scan the articles as JPEG files and each page comes into a seperate note. I then merge the notes and I have a completely OCR'd document which instantly appears with all the highlighted terms that I search for. Now when I search for "vitrectomy" I can quickly eyeball the 10 notes that come up and within a few seconds I recognize the one that I wanted. It adds another minute of labor to each scan but it's worth it.

• Level 5

In my opinion, JPG's do not handle multiple page documents well, unless there is a JPG of each individual page.

When I search for a term that is located in 10 pdf's inside 10 different notes, I usually find it on my first attempt by looking at the tags and the date it was created.

• 2 weeks later...

When planning my workflow (which is dynamic so always changing a little bit) I looked at how I could utilize Evernote as an asset but maintain Evernote independence should I decide to leave or if Evernote were to close shop one day. Searchable PDF's work well with Evernote and independently of it. Any system is going to be a series of compromises to achieve the balance between form and function.

Archived