Trying to choose a scanner

Sloth

Hello all,

I'm a long time user of Evernote and a huge fan. I'm trying to start getting into the whole paperless thing and am looking to buy a scanner.

I'm on the go a lot and need it to work with both Windows and Mac. I've seen and read reviews on the ScanSnap s1300 and the Doxie Go and like them a lot.

Any thoughts between those two? Does any of you have them? What are your thoughts?

What other scanners have you used?

Thanks a bunch!

Cesar

• 3 months later...

Sounds like you need something portable. ScanSnap S1300 is portable (runs on either USB port or AC power supply). You can find it here:

http://www.fujitsu.c...snap/s1300.html

Here is a list of some of the benefits, which include cross-platform compatibility.

• Scan up to 8 double-sided pages per minute
  • Holds up to 10 pages in the automatic document feeder
  • Cross-platform compatibility for PC and Mac
  • One button Searchable PDF creation, PDF, and JPEG
  • Scan to editable Word and Excel files
  • Create searchable keywords from highlighter text
  • Business card scanning software
  • USB or AC powered

I use the ScanSnap S1500M (M for Mac).

http://www.fujitsu.c...nap-s1500m.html

This comes with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, which is a huge benefit when going paperless. It enables the conversion of just about any document to PDF format and making it searchable (OCR). As you read more in the EN forums about going paperless, I think you'll find that most users store their documents containing text as PDF files in EN. I've tried other OCR options, I think Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro is the best.

Some users store their text files as JPEG's but I don't get the impression that it is very common. Doing so has some limitations, including being unable to select the text that might be in those images.

Keep in mind that the ScanSnap S1500 series (whether S1500 or S1500M) is really a very compact unit. You might not notice from any of the pictures of it. While it is compact, it is technically not portable because it is not powered by a computer's USB port. It needs AC power to operate.

Also, know that both models work with Windows or Mac. The difference is in what bundled software comes with the unit. The additional bundled software that comes with the S1500 is for Windows, where as the S1500M is for Mac. But either hardware will run on both platforms.

You'll also notice from this Amazon search that the cost difference between the two scanners is less than the cost of Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro, which means the software is gotten at a great deal.

post-89840-0-72671700-1335090746_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

Archived