Evernote wiki feature?

Hi there,

i have looked around on the website and couldn't find a 'wish list' or something similar, so i just put it here, please remove it if it's not appropriate.

i m wondering if evernote can provide wiki features, the most useful feature would be the Wikiwiki linking system. I used to be a TomBoy Notes user, when i switched to EverNote, the thing i struggled the most is about this. Currently Evernote has very good tagging, and the notebook + stack makes it easier to manage the notes, but all notes are standalone, wiki linking would connect them together, it'll be perfect for the user write notes for brain storming, referencing notes etc. i bet you guys know more than i do.

i guess if there's a wiki linking function, it would be a pay service(well, i hope it's free of charge), but i would say it's worth it and i'll definitely spend that money.

Thank your guys for providing such a great tool to help me with my bad memory, keep moving ahead, you are really creating something that is fantastic!

Btw, just wondering if there's going to be a Linux version Evernote, i've tried NixNote as an alternative, but honestly i don't like it, i m using the web now. it'll be great if there can be a Ubuntu version.

• Level 5*

Hi - It's possible to create links between notes; right-click a note and choose "copy note link" then paste that in another note as an html link. The process isn't as smooth as in a Wiki, but it works. There's no way though to use a scripting language to include a link as you type. Evernote is very good at what it does, but for some things you just may want to use the original software.

• 8 months later...

I love that Evernote has implemented note links, but I found the process still a bit clunky compared to the ease of use of wiki style linking, where you just put some markup around the destination page title. Another feature of wiki style links is being able to create links to pages that don't exist, and have these pages automatically created when you click on the link; this makes it really fast to build out structured content.

This is one of the ideas that inspired me to enter an Evernote powered wiki into the 2012 Evernote Dev Cup. If you're still interested in this idea,GoLD, you might want to check out my submission:

http://devcup.evernote.com/submissions/8669-enwiki

It supports wiki style linking - but not creating new pages when you click a link to a page that doesn't exist (but that's on the development roadmap; I've only had a few months of weekends to work on this).

Unfortunately, the current offering is packaged as an ASP.NET web server embedded in Windows binary, so no Linux support (unless you can make it work under WINE?) But the architecture is such that it could easily be moved to a hosted service on the cloud. Or it might be possible to host the web server on your own Linux box using Mono. I'll need to put a little bit more development time in to make the web application fully stand-alone before investigating that route...

• 6 months later...

... Another feature of wiki style links is being able to create links to pages that don't exist, and have these pages automatically created when you click on the link; this makes it really fast to build out structured content....

Very nice! Hope this is on the Roadmap.

• Level 5*

One workaround for this is to (for example) create one hundred notes > sync > open an "index" note in a separate window > select all of the 100 notes in the center pane > drag the notes into the "index" note to create note links.

Now, the cool thing is that you can edit the note links to show whatever name you want. This works great on the iPad, where you cannot create note links, but you can copy/paste/edit them.

Of course, this requires a little forethought, but once it is in place, it is pretty easy to implement. A Saved Search on the iPad leading to the index note is also helpful.

The ability to create links simply by dragging a note into another note (that's been opening into a new window) is a nice feature. Thanks, I was not aware of that.

However, I don't really see how what you described could be a workaround. If I'm working on note, eg, for Renovation A, I want to be able to type [[Lobby]] and instantly create a link to a note called "Lobby" -- whether such a note exists or not (you have to understand that, to me, this is absolutely friggin' brilliant).

Now this is a little tricky in Evernote since it doesn't require unique titles. So if I click on the "Lobby" link, Evernote would have to check for any existing notes named Lobby and give me the option of picking from that list or creating a brand new note titled "Lobby."

The fact this requires no forethought *is* the key (other than perhaps being more descriptive in naming notes). So I hope the team is looking into this because I really do like Evernote.

• 4 months later...

I want to be able to type [[Lobby]] and instantly create a link to a note called "Lobby" -- whether such a note exists or not (you have to understand that, to me, this is absolutely friggin' brilliant).

I totally agree, when I started using a personal wiki, I loved how I could organically organize and link my thoughts and notes, creating new spaces for further note-taking as I was currently note-taking. However, I found the Nested Organization of my personal wiki (Voodoopad) to be lacking, and this is a strong point for EN. Plus, I love how it can hold basically everything. So as a work-around I wrote an Applescript that mimics this functionally using WikiWords or [brackets] (single, not double) to create new pages and link them to the current note. I explain more in my original post, where I have the Applescript as well:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38682-wikify-evernote-via-applescript/#entry209409

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

I'm interested in the 2012 devcup asp wiki solution but the link is not valid anymore.

Any other way I can get my hands on this app?

Cheers

Dan

Hi. I don't know where that link went, but here is one of the entries for this year:

https://www.hackerleague.org/hackathons/evernote-devcup-2013/hacks/pediamo

This is one that I think was entered last year:

http://everwiki.ogaoga.org

Here is a link to a review of postach.io

http://www.degconsulting.net/2013/04/evernote-postachio.html

• 5 months later...

wow - im really happy to meet y'all in this thread! :)

I just looked at the link for Postach.io and it sounds perfect! I've been maintaining a notebook with "blog post stubs" (a pseudo pipeline for blog ideas) and this solution really sounds like what might take this notebook to the next step!

before I dive into it, anyone have any quick impressions to share about Pistach.io?

to get back to the wiki thread - I came here wondering if there is anyone in the community who sees tagging a set of notes that translate into a set of "wiki pages" and perhaps offers a wiki-community friendly view? I mean isn't this potentially what a set of notes constitutes anyways? I don't know if this is the kind of idea discussed in the dev cup.

I, too, am very eager to have note links on iOS (why it's not implemented is beyond me - such a feature would be another step forward to unmarrying the desktop not to mention make Premium's "Related Notes" feature shine ($ to EN to keep the platform & data around!))

+1 on wiki syntax to create pages and links while taking notes - love it!

anyone here a Tiddlywiki (or Tiddlyspace) user by chance? something i'd like to see here is dynamic lists of pages. like why update a list of items manually? why not automatically list & keep updated a list based on a particular tag or some search criteria?

thanks again for creating this thread.

Archived