onenote import problem - some notes pasted as images

Hey,

I'm in a process of migrating from Onenote to Evernote (Onenote 2010, Evernote 4.42), but I've hit a problem - some of the notes (from my observations it seems that the ones with more complex layouts, with text placed on several canvas areas) are imported into Evernote as just image (as if I took screenshot). Of course these notes are just complete garbage as they cannot be searched since they are pure image.

To make it even more strange when I've located some of these notes and tried to manually copy-paste them into Evernote, the same thing occured - they were pasted as images. I had to explicitly paste them as text to get the text version of them, but that's also very bad solution since all formating (tables, font size and so on) is lost...

Is it a bug? Any help appreciated!

Greets

quick update: right now everything I try to copy-paste from Onenote to Evernote is pasted as image. The same clipboard element is easily pasted to Word as text with formatting - so strange...

Onenote copy: http://cl.ly/2q413d3b0G3d1u2a2225

Word paste (editable text with formatting): http://cl.ly/001r2K3q0C0b1E3r1D0g

Evernote paste (image): http://cl.ly/1m2j3T2w1D1F2G2X1O1j

• Level 5*
Thanks for the report. Case 274114 was filed on this issues.

Thanks. Do you have a public trac where I can follow this issue? I couldn't find it...

No, Evernote does not share this kind of information.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I have also migrated from OneNote to Evernote, but the poor table support has been extremely frustrating.

There is a way to convert tables from OneNote to Evernote: Copy the table in OneNote and paste it into an Evernote note via the web brower-based interface. Then you can bring it up on your PC or iPad or whatever and it will be editable.

The main problem is that Evernote will accept the old OneNote formatting, but impose its own formatting on any new rows or columns that you add. There doesn't seem to be a way to get an imported table formatted properly one way or the other; you are stuck with old-format rows and columns for everything that was imported, and new-format rows and columns for everything new thereafter.

I understand Evernote's desire to keep their application as simple as possible, but there are a number of fundamental problems like this that are just really frustrating (another one being the inability to view notes by notebook on the iPad.)

• 1 year later...

I don't know if they've resolved the pasting issue, but the table problems I mentioned here two years ago have still never been addressed.

Because my tables are still a mish-mash of my old OneNote formatting and the new Evernote formatting, I tried to use "simplify formatting" to see if that would clean up the table but it converted it do plain text.

The worst part was that, as is typical with Evernote, the undo function did not work.  I had to go to my history and restore from there in order to get my table formatting back.

I sure wish they would put a little bit of effort into the simplest things like an undo function that worked properly.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Same problem here, pasting as image from Onenote. Almost 5 years later =(

For those suffering with this, there is a partial workaround, for pasting only text (loses formatting). I use an AutoHotKey script for this. Good thing is it works in any program, not only Evernote.

Script below, extracted from this forum post.

Autohotkey - http://autohotkey.com

$^+v::
  Sleep, 100
  ClipSaved := ClipboardAll  ;save original clipboard contents
  Clipboard = %clipboard%  ;remove formatting
  Sleep, 100
  Send   ^v  ;send the Ctrl+V command
  Sleep, 100
  Clipboard := ClipSaved  ;restore the original clipboard contents
  ClipSaved =  ;clear the variable
Return

• 5 months later...

After being told Evernote is better than one note i decided to try it. And the above issue is what I have to deal with

I can see the very first issue I've had hasn't been resolved even though a ticket was raised 5 years ago. I'm so glad i didn't go as far as importing all of my notes into evernote.. what a waste. 

This sort of issue shouldn't be allowed to exist let alone for 5+ years. 

I'm going back to Onenote. 10 minutes later. lol

• 1 month later...

I was planning on making the jump from OneNote to Evernote today.  The issue stopped me.  Seeing something like this go unresolved for five years does not make me feel confident in Evernote in the least.  This issue was raised in July 2011, when Evernote's future looked brighter than ever, according to the History section on Wikipedia.  I'm glad I ran into this issue before putting too much work into changing to a new note taking system. 

I switched from OneNote to Evernote years ago because it was an exciting app and worked well on both Windows and iOS, and I was frustrated with OneNote's poor support for iPhones and iPads.  But there were many limitations to Evernote, as it seemed to be a "less is more" type of app, and I had hundreds of documents and projects that I needed to keep track of.  As soon as Microsoft released a greatly-enhanced OneNote app that worked well on iOS, a couple of years ago, I switched back and have never regretted doing so.  OneNote works beautifully on Windows, iPhones, and iPads, and is extremely feature rich.  I couldn't be happier with OneNote.  Just my $.02, since I posted a couple of times to this thread, and have used both apps on both Windows and iOS pretty extensively -- though I have not used Evernote in the last two years.

Currently, pasting as an image is by-design. Don't know why - before my time - but image formats on the clipboard have a higher priority than html. OneNote pastes up multiple forms of a note: OneNote, HTML, UnicodeText, Text, Metafile, DIB. So we end up grabbing the DIB format.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem even today, specifically copying a paragraph in OneNote and pasting as text into Evernote.  I'm beginning to doubt my paid version of Evernote is worth the significant shortcomings in editing and importing information.

Same problem (thought I went kookoo) - selected a few words in OneNote, ctrl+c  and ctrl+v in EverNote, as an image. Not right?! Strange thing - when the same text is ctrl+v in a new note subject line, it was accepted. The same ctrl+v in the body resulted in an image. 

2017-02-07_15-20-21.jpg

• Level 5*
On 1/2/2017 at 7:37 PM, dconnet said:

Currently, pasting as an image is by-design. Don't know why - before my time - but image formats on the clipboard have a higher priority than html. OneNote pastes up multiple forms of a note: OneNote, HTML, UnicodeText, Text, Metafile, DIB. So we end up grabbing the DIB format.

Wonder why that is; this is prioritized in your code, right? Maybe OneNote posted HTML that caused problems, so it became a last (later) resort?

But hey, now that you're in command, you can just change the order a little, and nobody will be the wiser, eh? :) 

18 hours ago, jefito said:

But hey, now that you're in command, you can just change the order a little, and nobody will be the wiser, eh? :) 

Hehe. I'm tempted. But we do have source control and people do do code reviews. (I'll "bug" our PM and see if she'll agree) Personally, I'd rather prioritize html over dib... (longer range, maybe a paste-special that allows choosing the clipboard format. Ah, but I dream...

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, dconnet said:

Personally, I'd rather prioritize html over dib... (longer range, maybe a paste-special that allows choosing the clipboard format. Ah, but I dream..

That sounds like a good option. I'd probably use it. Does your PM ever take vacations??? 

Oh right, pesky source control and the angry, pointing finger of "blame" *gulp*

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Everyone! It seems to be fixed!

I just tried with simpel text and it worked!
But my notes with images (schoolnotes) needed to be transfered to OneNote with this tool: https://www.onenote.com/import-evernote-to-onenote

The problem for me is that I can not copy/paste notes FROM OneNote -> Evernote without loosing formating as well as keeping it in the same position as it was from the beginning - everything is slightly pushed to the right (text only, not images) when posting it back into Evernote.

Anyone tried other suggesstions?

• 5 months later...

For anyone still having a problem with this, I may have a solution for you. If you use a program called ClipboardFusion, it has the ability to automatically remove any extra formatting from the Clipboard with a feature called "Triggers". If you choose to install it, here's how you set it up to remove extra formatting when you copy from OneNote:

1. Open the ClipboardFusion Settings window
  2. Go to the "Triggers" tab
  3. Click "Add"->"Trigger"
  4. Enable the "Process Filename" checkbox, and select OneNote using the "Select Application" button (otherwise ClipboardFusion will always remove formatting)
  5. In the "Actions" group, click "Add"->"Remove non-text formats"
  6. Click "OK" to close the Trigger edit window, and "OK" again to save and apply the settings

I have attached an image of what the Trigger Edit window should look like after you set it up. For more information about triggers, please read this article.

You can then set up the trigger command that you want. For example, you can have ClipboardFusion only remove the formatting from OneNote if you quickly copy twice by enabling "Run Triggers on Double-Copy" Trigger Command setting.

For those of you interested in this tool, here's the download link: ClipboardFusion Download

Disclaimer: I am one of the ClipboardFusion developers.

trigger-edit-removenontextformats.png

Archived