(Archived) Apparent contradiction about data limits?

(1) In the Knowledge Base it says:

Each Evernote account is subject to the following limitations:

100,000 Notes

250 Synchronized Notebooks (including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have.

10,000 Tags

100 Saved Searches

(2) At https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ in comparing the free and premium plan it says:

Note allowance Unlimited, upload 60MB/mo Unlimited, upload 1GB/mo

(3) In my Mac client under Account Info it tell me that my remaining quota for this month would allow approximately "470,000 typed notes".

Which information is correct?

If there are limits like 100,000 notes then Evernote really ought to change both its advertising and clients to indicate that. If there truly are no limits to the number of notes, Evernote should change the Knowledge Base.

Thanks,

doug

I also have the same question.

As a free user, I can upload 60Mb/month, that is up to 720Mb/year.

However, in my Account Settings page, EN tells me that I have approximately 400 web clips remaining.

And in another forum post (about beta test phase?), I have read that there is a quota limit of 100Mb and 500 notes.

So, which are the real constraints?

Thanks for any help.

• Level 5*

I think the confusion arises because as you go through the month, Evernote estimates how many of each type of content you can add - it does say 'Approximate' in the Mac version.

Of course, one web clip of a simple text page is very different to another with a load of high quality images, so this is just an estimate to provide the user with some guidance.

In any case, are you likely to get up to 400k+ typed notes a month? If not, why worry?

Maybe I need to clarify my question.

Apart the monthly 60Mb upload limit, is there any other quota limitation (for example, disk space used to store web clips and photos) using EN?

• Level 5*

You can have as many local notebooks as you like, if you are a free user then you can upload 60mb a month with a maximum note size of 25mb.

I'm not sure if that answers your question or not.

That's what it says here - https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ so that's what I'd believe to be true.

Why? Have you hit 500k notes in a month and it's stopped you creating new ones?

No - no problems so far. But please see what it says in the first post. That's from the Evernote "Knowledge Base."

What I wanted to know if that information is incorrect or not.

doug

• Level 5*

My own view is that the knowledge base is full of holes, not updated in line with the software and pretty much a waste of time.

If I've pointed you at a reliable source of information, then I don't think it is worth you worrying about the kb.

My own view is that the knowledge base is full of holes, not updated in line with the software and pretty much a waste of time.

If I've pointed you at a reliable source of information, then I don't think it is worth you worrying about the kb.

Hi, again. I actually had a link to the same reference in my first note. :lol:

It wasn't necessarily the kb - my question was whether there is a limit to the number of notes, as it says in the database. Or if the number of allowed notes is truly unlimited, as it says in the page I linked to (the same link as yours).

Well, we're all just speculating. Unless an Evernote person responds we'll not know for sure. Maybe I'll just open up a support ticket and see what they answer and post the result here.

Thanks,

doug

There are people on here with 10s of thousands of notes, I've never seen anyone complain that they had reached any sort of limit.

10s of thousands of notes should be ok according to the Knowledge Base. The Knowledge Base says 100,000.

Anyway, I've sent off an inquiry to support. I'll post their reply here and then we'll all know for sure!

Thanks,

doug

(1) In the Knowledge Base it says:

100,000 Notes

250 Synchronized Notebooks (including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have.

10,000 Tags

100 Saved Searches

(2) At https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ in comparing the free and premium plan it says:

Note allowance Unlimited, upload 60MB/mo Unlimited, upload 1GB/mo

(3) In my Mac client under Account Info it tell me that my remaining quota for this month would allow approximately "470,000 typed notes".

Which information is correct?

If there are limits like 100,000 notes then Evernote really ought to change both its advertising and clients to indicate that. If there truly are no limits to the number of notes, Evernote should change the Knowledge Base.

Thanks,

doug

You may find these posts/threads helpful:

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14181&hilit=maximum+storage

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20509&p=87812&hilit=250#p87812

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=15999&p=63430&hilit=100+saved#p63430

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=20719&p=87023&hilit=10%2C000#p87023

The guesstimates provided by desktop clients is simply a gauge, since all notes, images, webclips, etc are not the same size. I would imagine they are provided so people who are getting close to their max limit for the month can have a way to gauge how many notes they have left.

That first link seems to confirm the 100,000 note limit by an Evernote staff member.

If true, the way it is stated on this page:

https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/

is untrue. That page clearly says the note limit is "unlimited." And it even specifically says, "There is no limit to the total size of an account."

If there really is a 100,000 note limit then saying it is "unlimited" would be false advertising.

I am hoping the topic linked to is simply out-dated and that Evernote clarifies this. Either the Knowledge Base or the site promotional information needs to be changed.

doug

is untrue. That page clearly says the note limit is "unlimited." And it even specifically says, "There is no limit to the total size of an account."

If there really is a 100,000 note limit then saying it is "unlimited" would be false advertising.

I am hoping the topic linked to is simply out-dated and that Evernote clarifies this. Either the Knowledge Base or the site promotional information needs to be changed.

Before you start going down that road, did you read this post?

"We'll always have limits to prevent runaway or abusive usage of the system, but we'd definitely consider raising our various limits if we're confident that all parts of the system would handle it correctly."

Also, approximately when do you expect that the current limit of 100,000 notes is going to impact your ability to add new notes?

Yep - I read that note. It's just a matter of honest promotion and principle is all.

Their promotion page is very explicit by saying:

(1) The note limit is "unlimited."

and

(2) "There is no limit to the total size of an account."

I doubt if I'll reach the limit. But as a matter of principle, shouldn't companies have to be honest in the way they advertise?

If the note limit is 100,000 I really think Evernote are obligated to say that instead of "unlimited." It may not look as catchy. And people may not realize how huge 100,000 really is. But it's factual and true.

If that message is out-dated and it truly is unlimited, as advertised, I suggest they change their knowledge base.

doug

Yep - I read that note. It's just a matter of honest promotion and principle is all.

Their promotion page is very explicit by saying:

(1) The note limit is "unlimited."

and

(2) "There is no limit to the total size of an account."

I doubt if I'll reach the limit. But as a matter of principle, shouldn't companies have to be honest in the way they advertise?

If the note limit is 100,000 I really think Evernote are obligated to say that instead of "unlimited." It may not look as catchy. And people may not realize how huge 100,000 really is. But it's factual and true.

If that message is out-dated and it truly is unlimited, as advertised, I suggest they change their knowledge base.

doug

On that page, both types of accounts say "unlimited, xx per month" which means the number of notes you can create is unlimited, but you do have the upload limit. It's fairly specific, I think.

[attachment=0]_screen0.jpg[/attachment]

And AFAIK, there is no limit to the total size of an account. IE, mine is currently ~10 gb.

In that same discussion, at viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14181&hilit=maximum+storage#p55551, staff member Dave Engberg wrote:

The only absolute limit on your account is that you may only have 100,000 notes in an account.

My point is that the page you are referring to, and I am also referring to, clearly says the number of notes is unlimited.

So I just want to know - which is correct?

doug

In that same discussion, at viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14181&hilit=maximum+storage#p55551, staff member Dave Engberg wrote:
The only absolute limit on your account is that you may only have 100,000 notes in an account.

My point is that the page you are referring to, and I am also referring to, clearly says the number of notes is unlimited.

So I just want to know - which is correct?

doug

If you want to split hairs, the mention of "unlimited" would seem to be referring to the monthly allowed, since it's immediately followed by "xx upload/month". If you can squeeze in 100,000 notes in a month without exceeding your monthly upload limit & then are prevented from adding one more, you might have a case about false advertising.

I have nothing more to add to this conversation.

• Level 5
Support has replied to me that the "unlimited" at https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ is a "typo" and the limit is, in fact, 100,000 notes.

I asked them if they intend to fix the "typo."

doug

Good job. I have found that some questions take persistence to get the correct answer. The forum is OK (putting the ridicule aside), but I have found the support group to be fast and accurate getting the correct answer.

Support has replied to me that the "unlimited" at https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/ is a "typo" and the limit is, in fact, 100,000 notes.

doug

Good job. I have found that some questions take persistence to get the correct answer. The forum is OK (putting the ridicule aside), but I have found the support group to be fast and accurate getting the correct answer.

Oh, and just to clarify, that is a 100,000 limit on total notes. Not a per-month limit.

doug

doug

They still haven't fixed the "typo" though. They seem happy so far with leaving an incorrect impression that there is no note limit.

doug

• Level 5
Well they have acknowledged it - I'm sure it will get resolved eventually. But, I would imagine it is a pretty low priority.

Yes, I agree. I doubt they will update it. The Evernote Marketing department is not very concerned about accuracy.

Well they have acknowledged it - I'm sure it will get resolved eventually. But, I would imagine it is a pretty low priority.

Yes, I agree. I doubt they will update it. The Evernote Marketing department is not very concerned about accuracy.

Maybe a call from the Federal Trade Commission or other relevant government office will convince them that accuracy in in marketing is a priority, whether they think so or not. :)

doug

• 2 weeks later...

Another 12 days later and Evernote still haven't fixed the misinformation at https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/. It's truly annoying. I read lots of Evernote reviews on the Internet which all carry the same misinformation that unlimited notes are allowed, all based on Evernote's own home page. Plus the clients and web interface give deceptive information as well.

Just for the sake of general honest reputation, Evernote should fix the problem - either by changing their advertising or, even better, keeping their word and allowing unlimited notes.

doug

They actually did make a correction - they changed it so it explains that the overall "size" of your account is unlimited, which is different, but still not completely accurate. I'll ping them again.

The note limitation has never been hidden, it's always been available on our website, in many, many places, including our FAQ. It's a usability issue - if a user were to create an account with more than 100,000 notes, it would not be a pleasant experience for them - and our users who have extremely large accounts have been very gracious to help us with such usability testing over the years. We *may* consider raising the limit when we can deliver a consistently excellent experience for all users no matter the size of their account, no matter the limitations of their viewing platform.

It's a usability issue - if a user were to create an account with more than 100,000 notes, it would not be a pleasant experience for them - and our users who have extremely large accounts have been very gracious to help us with such usability testing over the years. We *may* consider raising the limit when we can deliver a consistently excellent experience for all users no matter the size of their account, no matter the limitations of their viewing platform.

I hope you are able to raise the 100,000 notes limit within the next ~3 years, which is approximately when I would be hitting 100,000 notes. :)

And more than another week has gone by and STILL Evernote has not fixed the false information at https://www.evernote.com/about/premium/. This is turning into blatant dishonesty.

Evernote really should either fix the information on that page, and in the apps - or they should change the actual limits to truly allow unlimited notes as advertised.

You know, reviews about Evernote appear all over the web, and one point the reviewers consistently make, when comparing with other services, is that Evernote allows for "unlimited notes." They are basing that information on false information put out by Evernote. Information which Evernote has acknowledged is incorrect. Yet Evernote still hasn't take any action to fix the issue.

Sure, saying, "100,000 notes allowed per account" isn't as "sexy" as saying "unlimited" - but honesty counts.

doug

They actually did make a correction - they changed it so it explains that the overall "size" of your account is unlimited, which is different, but still not completely accurate. I'll ping them again.

The note limitation has never been hidden, it's always been available on our website, in many, many places, including our FAQ. It's a usability issue - if a user were to create an account with more than 100,000 notes, it would not be a pleasant experience for them - and our users who have extremely large accounts have been very gracious to help us with such usability testing over the years. We *may* consider raising the limit when we can deliver a consistently excellent experience for all users no matter the size of their account, no matter the limitations of their viewing platform.

It wasn't changed. The popup says what it said to begin with. And you are right, the size of the account is not unlimited - so why does it say it is?

Also, in the client it reports on the number of possible remaining text notes in this cycle. It tells me I currently have approximately 460,000 typed notes remaining in this cycle.

It does seem this has been corrected in the web UI finally. But why not on the actual promotion page itself?

A false impression is being conveyed universally throughout the Internet - in reviews and articles, etc. Evernote has to realize that the page is deceptive and has to know all the articles and reviews are reporting unlimited notes based on that page. The fact there are FAQs you can search for with the details is besides the point. The promotion page does not mention the limit and, in fact, states there is no limit.

doug

I just want to make one more point here. I don't think a 100,000 note limit is unreasonable. I only have a couple of thousand notes myself.

It's just an "icky feeling" left that I'm dealing with a company that seems to be taking advantage of conveying a blatantly false impression in their promotion/sales page. Evernote doesn't seem to care about the false impression they are making.

I imagine Evernote simply feels they are getting more subscribers by advertising an "unlimited" note allowance.

It's is a matter of principle really. Evernote should state the limits on the upgrade/promotion page. Or they should not state limits and link to a FAQ with the limits. Anything else but stating "unlimited" next to the "note allowance."

Any reasonable person seeing that assumes there is an unlimited note allowance and there just isn't.

doug

Sorry - one final thing and then I will shut up (unless more time passes and Evernote still doesn't correct the false info).

I want to say that I love using Evernote. I really do. I've been through various "note keepers" over the years and now that I have mobile devices I find this the only solution which works for me for portability and searching. I'm amazed at how I can search things like scanned faxes and illustrations. It's easy and quick to use.

So I'm posting here because I like Evernote, not because I don't.

But I want to feel that Evernote is on the up-and-up with their promotional materials before I recommend it to co-workers and friends. The way it is now looks "shady" when it doesn't have to be. Don't let the sales department get away with deceptive advertising. The truth will better serve you in the long run.

doug

• Level 5

So I'm posting here because I like Evernote, not because I don't.

But I want to feel that Evernote is on the up-and-up with their promotional materials before I recommend it to co-workers and friends. The way it is now looks "shady" when it doesn't have to be. Don't let the sales department get away with deceptive advertising. The truth will better serve you in the long run.

doug

I have the same feeling about their marketing promo video that has not been corrected.

http://forum.evernote.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=23420&p=100900&hilit=video#p100900

All of you complaining about the word "Unlimited" have no concept of advertising and advertising laws. What Evernote is doing is NOT... I repeat NOT illegal. They could put a notice on their site that says all 3 headed green aliens get Premium services for free, even though everyone knows they are not giving free Premium services to 3 headed green aliens. "Unlimited" in advertising terms is equivalent to "reasonably unlimited based up on the likeliness that a single user would not reach that limit". You are stuck with the dictionary definition of "Unlimited" which is not the basis for almost EVERY company that advertises "Unlimited". Look at AT&T and Verizon... do you actually think their Unlimited data plans are truly unlimited? NO... they all range around 5GB of transfer per month before they start warning you.

Should a user come close to the 100,000 limit, I guarantee that Evernote will raise the limit to 150,000 or 200,000. A court of law will not hear a case in which the plaintiff of a lawsuit is not directly effected by the advertising statement in question. There must be proof of damages in order to win a legal case. If you have not reached the 100,000 limit or been told by Evernote you can not upload any more notes, then you have no case.

Simply put, stop nitpicking something that will most likely never happen. Nobody will ever reach the true limit of notes because Evernote will raise the limit the moment an account comes close, and believe me, they know exactly who is using what amount of storage and who the top users are and how much space they are taking up.

So, in closing, DROP IT... quit wasting the staff's time when they can be focusing on features and bug fixes just because you feel you have been slighted. You are the type of people that think every corporation is sleazy and trying to get one over on you. Let it go and get a life!

... Simply put, stop nitpicking something that will most likely never happen....

... So, in closing, DROP IT... Let it go and get a life!

We really don't need "posting police" telling us what we can and cannot post about. And nobody was talking about lawsuits. You're the only person to mention it.

It's just a question of honesty and principle. If you don't think honesty in advertising is important, fine. Feel free to disagree.

But how about this - I won't tell you what you can't say if you don't tell me what I can't say.

I never can understand why somebody inevitably comes along and tries to control what people post. (Speaking of getting a life.)

doug

• Level 5*
We really don't need "posting police" telling us what we can and cannot post about.

Actually there are things that are topical in these forums, and some that are not, and Evernote does try to keep things more or less topical. There certainly is moderation going on, but one user telling another user to stop posting about topic 'x' is not policing; it's just another user exercising their right to post, just as you have.

And nobody was talking about lawsuits. You're the only person to mention it.

True enough, but to be fair, you're the one bandying around terms like "false advertising", "blatant dishonesty" and mentioned a " a call from the Federal Trade Commission or other relevant government office" (yes, I know that you put a 'smiley' on that one, but it could just as easily be read as passive aggression).

But how about this - I won't tell you what you can't say if you don't tell me what I can't say.

How abut this: if you tell me what I can and can't say, I might consider it, but it has no real force here. Note that the folks who could really do something about what you're saying have not done so (i.e., you've not been censored you on the topic, so far as I know).

I never can understand why somebody inevitably comes along and tries to control what people post.

While there's no actual right to freedom of speech in the forums, there are entire governments that do try to control what their citizens say and write, all the time. I don't understand it either, but it's a fact of human existence, unfortunately.

I actually do hope that the issue gets resolved, either by changing the wording or explaining it better. It doesn't bother me personally, but I think it would be the right thing to do, and in doing so, I guess that some folks would be ale to sleep better at night. :lol:

Good luck.

• 6 months later...

finally, what is the conclusion about limits?

i have just moved my organisation from notebooks to tags because the sync notebooks max number = 250.

thus, I am building a EN database using based on tags hierarchy and already up to 500 ...

and I think generate up to 5.000 tags may be more ...

It could be important for the final user to known very clearly limits before beginning a project:

notes= 100.000 or unlimited?

sync notebooks = 250

local notebooks = unlimited

tags= 10.000 (this limit is very important for me)

other limit?

many thanks in advance to EN team answer.

• Level 5*

100,000 Notes

10,000 Tags

100 Saved Searches

• Level 5

I can't foresee ever hitting 5,000 tags.

Over the past 2 years, I've reached 16,000 notes and approximately 750 tags.

Half of my notes are political web captures, and so the large majority of my tags are:

• Issue-based (California Downfall, Debt Ceiling, Foreign Policy, Recess Appointments, etc)
  • Political acronyms (ATF, BDS, CPSIA, NLRB)
  • Names of local, state, national, and international politicians

Archived