Evernote version 10.99.3 is extremely slow

Without getting into specific functions --- there are several --- Evernote version 10.99.3 is slow, to the point I can’t use it.  I’ve reached out to Evernote for help, but a week later I have gotten no response so I’m reaching out to the community. 

In addition to being on the most current version of Evernote, I’m using Windows 11 (up to date version) on a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 with 80+ GBs of free space.  I do however have over 30K notes in Evernote, but prior to the last few versions speed has not really been an issue.

I have uninstalled Evernote using Revo Uninstaller (which took several hours), rebooted, and reinstalled the Evernote.  I did this three days ago so any sync that needed to be done should have completed by now.  I have also deleted all files in my Evernote trash folder. 

Since the help desk won’t or can’t help, does anyone have any additional ideas for how to speed up Evernote? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Win 11 / EN 10.99.3 / ~70K notes here.  My Evernote is running fine.  Support takes a while to respond,  so don't give up hope yet. Do reply to any standard responses you receive.

Revo uninstaller should not take hours to process your device - it might be worth repeating the clean reinstall process just to be sure.  Do you have a solid network connection?  Do you find the same speed issues on the web client as well as the installed version?

It might help us make more useful suggestions if you can describe the functions you're finding to be slow...

Thanks for responding!  However, I have no hope that I will ever hear from Evernote support.  

I might try the Revo uninstaller again, but am curious as to what to expect with how long should I expect a clean re-installation to "sync" backup with Evernote?  

Regarding internet speed I have 80.64 Mbps download, 24.99 Mbps upload with a latency of 24 ms.  I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure my internet is not the issue.  

My two iOS devices (phone, iPad) are fine as is browser access to my Evernote data.

Regarding areas I'm having speed problems with on my Windows 11 desktop below are a few examples:

• Home screen to fully load with four widgets - 10+ seconds
  • Adding a task to an existing note - 10+ seconds
  • Adding a tag to an existing note - 10= seconds 
  • Moving a note to a new folder - 10+ seconds
  • For my notes folder, for all notes to fully load and a given note to be available to select - 10-20 seconds
  • Modifying an existing task (i.e. selecting high/medium/low, new date, etc.) 10+ seconds 
  • Using the create note function from a calendar entry - over a minute 

Just a few examples.  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Prior to BS buying Evernote I thought I remembered there were some tools we could use to cleanup a database?  

• Like 1

I'm not very familiar with my Surface graphics card (Windows 11), and did see another lengthy NVIDIA GPU stream on this site.  The only "NVIDIA" related thing I could find on my laptop was in the registry (screen shot attached).  If this is a "NVIDIA GPU" issue it's likely beyond my ability to fix and needs to be handled by BS?  

Snag_189e4e.png

Thank you PinkElephant for the tip. A graphics card problem is the only thing that makes sense. Never thought of it.

I have 3 Windows desktops (1 x Win 10, 2 x Win 11) that have all become unusable in recent weeks. The web client also became unusable, in every browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera). Reinstalling made no difference. All 3 computers are using an NVIDIA graphics card.  My MacBook has been buttery smooth and quick.

Just updated my NVIDIA drivers to Version 560.70 on one computer and did a fresh Evernote install. Early results look promising.

Posting early in case others are running into the same issue. I wasted a lot of time looking for other solutions. An alert from Evernote would have been helpful if they were aware of the problem. Will update my other two computers and report back.

2024-08-0308_55_15-GeForceExperience.png.3c77e9c497f53cd7d63f5fcc6dfcd066.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the information!  

When you have a moment any guidance you can provide on how to find the appropriate driver (can't see it in my device manager), and how to update the driver would be greatly apprecaited.

Reporting back → Yes, updating the GeForce driver on my other two Windows computers restored Evernote functioing in the Desktop Client and the Web Client. 

Dan:

I have "GeForce Experience" installed on all three computers. In this application you select the DRIVERS tab and CHECK FOR UPDATES. Then EXPRESS INSTALL the most recent version. This should work if you have an NVIDIA graphics card. Look in Device Manager under "Display adapters" to see if you do first. Hope this helps!

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/

image.png.d73daf905f6c11579313bce9e18ffd6a.png

image.png.f3603e74fe7bf33d0f74a039818c144b.png

image.png.62cdaa7f138613727be8e770ec9986e4.png

• Like 2

Strange... I have a registry entry for "NVIDIA GeForce Experience Share", but my device manager shows that I have an Intel graphics adapter.  I searched my entire device manager and found nothing related to a NVIDIA driver.  My Intel graphics driver is up to date.  

I could live with my slowness for a week or so if I knew BS was aware/working on this issue.  

I appreciate your help!  Any additional ideas for fixing this without BS help is welcome.  

Registry NVIDIA entry .png

Device Manager.png

• Level 5

Maybe your registry is somewhat compromised. Back in the days when I was still on Windows, I used CCCleaner from time to time to check and fix registry issues. But I have heard that since a takeover, it has turned into crappy bloatware.

But checking and repairing the registry could still be a good move.

• Level 5*

All system cleaners are widely derided by anyone in the industry,  but I've used a free something called Glary Utilities in the past and it's never (AFAIK) caused me any issues...  https://www.glarysoft.com/

There's a one-key system clean and a range of individual tools to find things like duplicate files and empty folders.

i just installed 10.99.3 and everything stopped.

simply couldn't get the update to work... after many attempted fixes.

i rolled back to 10.94.3... and performance has resumed to just above tolerable... as before.

Did one last Revo uninstall / clean reinstall of 10.99.3 last night.  Laptop has been running since last night to allow 30K+ notes to sync back up (which I assume is a sufficient amount of time).  Evernote is still stubbornly slow.  I've run out of ideas with trying to figure this out and will probably switch to the web version.

Probably the most frustrating thing though is Evernote support.  I submitted a ticket a week ago and other than automated responses have heard nothing.  

• Sad 1

Concur - user since 2009 with 20k+ notes on a MacBook Pro w. M1 Max silicon. 

After a streak of improvements, Evernote 10.99.3 is now unbearably slow. 

Any and all updates and continuous communication would be very helpful.

UPDATE appear to solve problem: 
10.100.1-mac-ddl-public (20240805023752)
Editor: v178.20.1
Service: v2.4.1
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Edited by URamsing
Lack of speed appear to be solved
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
27 minutes ago, URamsing said:

Any and all updates and continuous communication would be very helpful.

Did you use Appcleaner yet?

I'm on 10.100.1 and the app is unusably slow, even after a clean Revo Uninstall and reinstall of the latest.  And in nearly every released version update, it doesn't seem to matter.  Once the local database of notes truly finishes updating on the primary PC we use (Windows 10, 4th Gen i7-4790) the app crawls to an unusable state.  We were v6 holdouts as long as absolutely possible because Bending Spoons has completely destroyed this app with v10.  Between stupid UI choices, horrible performance, loss of features (usable PDF search, offline folders, loss of merging options, and so many more) they have completely lobotomized what used to be an excellent "virtual file cabinet".  Keep in mind that we have pushed the limits of Evernotes capabilities with 40-50k notes, most of which have searchable PDFs included in them, and thousands of tags, but never was the performance an issue with v6 - even when v6 was far out of support and we were dealing with over 60,000 notes.

I don't know what to say, because the app continues to get worse, it seems, with every release for anyone working with tens of thousands of notes.  IMHO, Bending Spoons needs to reconsider a whole bunch of decisions they have made in regressing to this point when v6 was so much of a better tool, in capability, usability (UI Design) and performance for a typical business user than it is now...

I'm seeing this thread because I'm looking into issues with the Android app being slow AF, which many many people have reported. For the Windows app, it's pretty fast on any of the workstations at my office and home. As someone who works in IT service, I thought I would provide some information that could help you.

- Memory / RAM. I am monitoring a bug in Windows 11 regarding memory management, and it appears MS is aware of the issue because Dev builds of Win 11 employ a leak diagnostic process. I've seen client PCs with 16GB of RAM, a few Word docs open, a PowerPoint, and no other windows, max out the RAM. The fix I've found is increasing the virtual RAM in Windows. I've had to do this on all of my workstations, and on several client machines. You can check if you are maxing out your virtual RAM by opening Task Manager (Ctrl Shift Esc) > Performance tab (2nd icon on the left) > Memory > Committed. If it's maxed out, it will say something like 30.1/32GB, The fix is: Win Key, type sysdm, enter,  Advanced > Performance, Settings > Advanced > Virtual memory, Change > Uncheck automatically, select Custom, type 48000 in both boxes. > Set > OK OK OK ...

- Internet Connection: What's your connection speed? Did you move or has this changed? Try going to Power options, edit plan, Wireless Adapter, and when plugged in set power savings to minimal. If this is a new problem stuff like this doesn't make a lot of sense, new problems on existing equipment usually suggests that something somewhere changed.

- Drivers: A few people here have mentioned drivers. There is one program that we use for client PCs when needed, which can ensure you have the best drivers for your PC. Download Driver Booster by IOBit. That's the only legit driver updater program, all others are scams and spyware, but IOBit does a great job on this one.

- Antivirus? What AV do you have? If you don't have one at all, then you have Defender, and I would test turning it off and see if that affects the performance. It will turn back on by default, but you could add Evernote process and the location of the database as exclusions if the test works.

On 8/4/2024 at 6:09 PM, gazumped said:

Did any of them include a clean reinstall?

yes, revo uninstall and install of 10.99.3...
left it for a couple of hours to see if it was going to download etc.... but it was no good...
i could see a hand full of notes (of about 100k notes)... but unable to open them...

reverted to previous version, and within minutes it was usable... 
I'll try next update on a spare laptop so i don't lose another day with an evernote update.

i would try 10.100.1

but there's no mention of fix...
something like "previous update totally broke our app...oops"
I'll wait till the revision mentions that.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, kitley said:

I'll wait till the revision mentions that.

You may wait a long time,  because I was using 10.99.3 and am using 10.100.1 without any problems or lagging.  This issue does seem to be something affecting a relatively small number of users.  If you wish to see a resolution it would be worth contacting Support - despite their current reputation.  Make sure you respond to any standard messages you get back.

Quick question for the stream.  When you sign out of Evernote, and select "Remove my Evernote data from this device", will this force a complete sync of my entire database back to the server?  

I did this and now my tags are out of sync.  For instance, a given tag says 14 notes should be in the tag folder, but only 3 apply.  My iOS devices are correct, however my web browser has the same problem.

This has been a cluster given the amount of money being paid for the app, and now I'm going on 2 weeks with no response from Evernote help desk.  

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Dan Smith said:

will this force a complete sync of my entire database back to the server?  

The parent copy of your database is the server copy.  What's on your device is a 'work in progress' copy to cut down on any delays caused by syncs and downloads.  Removing your local database will replace what you currently have with what's on the server.  There's an ongoing issue with tags that they're currently addressing.  Your account is -probably- fully up to date,  even if the results you see are quite what you expect.

Is there a string going with the notes not appearing with their tags? 

Seems like when you fix something in Evernote, something else pops up.  I'm now on 10.100.1 and NONE of my tags bring down the notes associated with the tag.  

I have been following these threads last 10 days or so with the same experience, trying the same fixes, and no solution  I timed 140 seconds to move a note from one notebook to another. But this morning I got an invitation to EN 10.100.3 (yes it is available-apparently pulled for a while but its back) and EN is functioning for me again. No overload of GPU, the sort of timing I have been used to for the past year or more.  Thank goodness.  No direct response to my ticket submitted August 2, but I guess they were serious when they said they were working on fixing bugs and that was a better use of their time than individual responses to tickets.

Hallelujah!

• Like 3