.Enex import issues because of Monthly Quota Upload Limits- Workarounds?

Hi,

I have a very large amount of data stored in .Enex files (aka not in Evernote but stored on my computer).  Is there a way to parse that data in a given .Enex filter to avoid having to import the ENTIRE file?

I ask because I didn't realize that Evernote treats a file import IMMEDIATELY as monthly storage upload.  My 'plan' had been to import the entire .Enex file and, after its accessible in Evernote, quickly go through and delete the notes that I do NOT want before they have time to fully upload to Evernote servers thus using my monthly storage quota.  For some reason Evernote seems preemptive in assuming everything in Evernote is already uploading and taking space even before it actually syncs.  in other words, I have maybe 45GB worth of Evernote .ENEX files that I want to import but only want to keep maybe 3GB worth... which would NOT utilize my monthly limits.  

I tried doing this all offline but but still getting the same issues.  What does one do if they have the Professional/ Premium version (allowing 20GB a month of uploads) and they have an ENX file larger than 20GB...  I cannot help but miss the legacy days where you could still load content into the app even if you maxed out your quotas and Evernote would just warn you that those files wouldn't sync until 'next month's quotas reset.

Any thoughts are appreciated :-).

• Evernote Expert
1 hour ago, The Cinematic Guy said:

I have a very large amount of data stored in .Enex files (aka not in Evernote but stored on my computer).  Is there a way to parse that data in a given .Enex filter to avoid having to import the ENTIRE file?

No. You can manually edit the file. It's better to create smaller exports in the first place.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The Cinematic Guy said:

Is there a way to parse that data in a given .Enex filter to avoid having to import the ENTIRE file?

As I expect you are aware enex is basically just xml. If you look at the enex file, formed by exporting a number of notes, in a text editor, you find the structure is something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export4.dtd">
<en-export export-date="20240801T131422Z" application="Evernote" version="10.99.3">
  <note>
    content of 1st note
  </note>
  <note>
    content of 2nd note
  </note>
</en-export>

Therefore it might be possible to split the file based on the note tags in either a text editor or an xml editor.  Just remove complete notes between the <note> and </note> tags. Given the size of your file this might not be practical - can you even get a text editor that will read a file that big?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I can't add much here - you say that you have files totalling 45GB;  to be clear: is that a single item or several multi-GB files?  What's the largest one? 

Given that your upload limit resets every month you might be able to process several files over a long period...  and I wonder if you set your system to Airplane Mode whether Evernote would continue importing.  You'd then have a chance to maybe reduce the size of any synced file before you reconnect. 

Otherwise you're into editing your file(s) or converting them into another format until you can identify the content you require.

You might want to raise this with Evernote Support too - I don't know whether they could or would help,  but it can't hurt to ask;  it will take some time to get a response though.

And finally - beware of making big volume adjustments to your account.  It takes a long time for all the changes to sync to all devices!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mike P said:

As I expect you are aware enex is basically just xml. If you look at the enex file, formed by exporting a number of notes, in a text editor, you find the structure is something like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE en-export SYSTEM "http://xml.evernote.com/pub/evernote-export4.dtd">
<en-export export-date="20240801T131422Z" application="Evernote" version="10.99.3">
  <note>
    content of 1st note
  </note>
  <note>
    content of 2nd note
  </note>
</en-export>

yes, you can automate this with a small python script. My C# html4ever tool does something similar by the way: it converts specific notes from the enex file into  html notes (based on filtering the note title).

The splitting is not that hard, but the filtering can be more complicated if you want the full evernote search syntax...

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Cinematic Guy said:

I tried doing this all offline but but still getting the same issues

Did you clear the trash before coming back to online mode?

• Like 1
20 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Did you clear the trash before coming back to online mode?

I did and the issue persists.  Even emptied my trash, closed the app, rebooted the computer and then connected to the internet and then launched Evernote.  And even though I deleted 75% of the content it still used the full quota which is really annoying.

On 8/1/2024 at 10:51 AM, gazumped said:

I can't add much here - you say that you have files totalling 45GB;  to be clear: is that a single item or several multi-GB files?  What's the largest one? 

Given that your upload limit resets every month you might be able to process several files over a long period...  and I wonder if you set your system to Airplane Mode whether Evernote would continue importing.  You'd then have a chance to maybe reduce the size of any synced file before you reconnect. 

Otherwise you're into editing your file(s) or converting them into another format until you can identify the content you require.

You might want to raise this with Evernote Support too - I don't know whether they could or would help,  but it can't hurt to ask;  it will take some time to get a response though.

And finally - beware of making big volume adjustments to your account.  It takes a long time for all the changes to sync to all devices!

Hi,  

it's several .Enex files and the largest is over 10GB.  I just uploaded the 10GB while off line (no ethernet or wifi).  Then went through and deleted roughly 75% of the notes- and by rough estimates they were all Very picture heavy which I've since learned to avoid so Ironically I kept only the text-based notes so deleted notes that just had photos should be the vast majority of the 10gb (i went through and compared note sizes) but sure enough, after deleting the large notes, emptying Evernote trash, closing the app, rebooting the computer, then connecting back to the internet and letting things synced.... sure enough I lost 10GB~ of quote space.

It's very annoying and illogical.

• Sad 1