The database keeps updating

Go to solution Solved by masasoon,

After updating my Android app to the latest version, it started updating the database, but it's stuck at 91%.
It's been taking hours.
I've deleted the data, uninstalled and reinstalled, but the same thing happened.
What should I do?

Screenshot_2024-07-14-16-48-33-21_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.png

1 hour ago, gazumped said:

再インストールする前に、電話機の電源をオフにしてから再度オンにして、一時的なキャッシュをクリアしてみてください。

Thank you for your reply.

But I tried that method. The symptoms remain the same.

Hi,

I was having the same problem for a couple of days. Could only access my account via mobile web.  Tried everything, deleting and reinstalling, reseting the phone (iPHone), etc.  Finally, tried one thing different.  When I launched the app after reinstalling, the app asked "Use this account"  which was my account.  Instead of accepting this default, this time I choose the option to sign in from scratch (enter email, password).  It went throught 3 iterations of updating the database (yes, 3!), then it optimized (??) my database but finally let me into my notes!  Panic and anxiety relieved. 

Worth trying if you haven't heard back from EN support :lol:.

Good luck!

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, ddg said:

75BDABDB-136B-4ECB-97FE-740FEC006498.thumb.jpeg.f5d1434f8441fe986989f2e3df50a699.jpegSpoke too soon.  App worked for a day, now back to loading screen... :(

What a shame! Is there nothing a user can do about this?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, masasoon said:

What a shame! Is there nothing a user can do about this?

Apparently not - I can only refer you to Support so that Evernote is aware of the issue.

3 hours ago, gazumped said:

Apparently not - I can only refer you to Support so that Evernote is aware of the issue.

It seems that Evernote management is aware of this bug. I received the following response from Evernote support via email:

"Thank you for reporting this bug. We understand it's impacting your Evernote experience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Here's some information on what to expect next:

Timing to fix the issue

The lifetime of a bug fix can vary significantly depending on multiple factors, including its reproducibility, severity, and complexity, and finding a solution usually requires thorough analysis, testing, and monitoring. We'll investigate it thoroughly and get it resolved as quickly as possible."

• Like 2
5 hours ago, laurence.glazier said:

But this text may be generated by AI. My test at https://justdone.ai/gen/detect-chat-gpt-text gave
image.png.56f2b0cbd3c7b20254c22e91c520cb22.png

My wife has been encountering this bug on Android and I am wondering if it is worth her switching to iPhone. So far been fixing by reinstalling each time.

It would be extremely irresponsible if Evernote management was unaware of this bug!

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, masasoon said:

It would be extremely irresponsible if Evernote management was unaware of this bug!

It will be inevitable if no-one contacts Support.  This isn't a bug affecting everyone on a specific version number - it's an issue which only a few users are suffering from that Evernote may be unaware of unless informed.

It will be inevitable if no-one contacts Support.  This isn't a bug affecting everyone on a specific version number - it's an issue which only a few users are suffering from that Evernote may be unaware of unless informed.

I can't seem to find a way to get in touch with Evernote staff directly.😅

I’ve tried submitting support ticket after support ticket.  Same canned response as above. Apple stores review show others are having same issue and Evernote does answer sometimes so seems they are aware.  Crossing fingers for  next version.  Looking to see if I can roll back to prior version as the older version works on my iPad.  🤞🏾

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

The support that is still overwhelmed? It takes days to reach an actual human who makes you jump through scripted, obviously irrelevant hoops before claiming to take a "bug report" that may or may not actually exist and which certainly can't give you a tracking number or any way of confirming that what they reported is what you experience, no way to report additional symptoms, no way to report if a fix solved the bug or not. Is that what you mean by support?

• Like 1
On 7/16/2024 at 3:55 PM, masasoon said:

It seems that Evernote management is aware of this bug. I received the following response from Evernote support via email:

"Thank you for reporting this bug. We understand it's impacting your Evernote experience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Here's some information on what to expect next:

Timing to fix the issue

The lifetime of a bug fix can vary significantly depending on multiple factors, including its reproducibility, severity, and complexity, and finding a solution usually requires thorough analysis, testing, and monitoring. We'll investigate it thoroughly and get it resolved as quickly as possible."

If they were serious about being aware, they'd post publicly the details of the bug in order to reduce the volume of support tickets to their overwhelmed staff. This is a polite thanks-now-be quiet, CYA email.

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, John in Michigan USA said:

Is that what you mean by support?

The alternative is to not submit reports,  which likely leaves them ignorant of the fact that there are issues that need attention,  unaware of how many users are affected,  and under the assumption that now the number of incoming reports has gone down,  they don't need to push so hard to clear the backlog.  That support.

• Like 1

I installed the older version 10.96.0 that I found online, but the problem did not improve.
Why is this? I was able to use the app normally up to the version two versions before that.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, masasoon said:

I installed the older version 10.96.0 that I found online, but the problem did not improve.
Why is this? I was able to use the app normally up to the version two versions before that.

It's a very bad idea to install earlier versions of the app.  Corrupted changes could sync back to the server and damage your content.  I recommend you revert to the latest version as soon as possible.

20 minutes ago, gazumped said:

It's a very bad idea to install earlier versions of the app.  Corrupted changes could sync back to the server and damage your content.  I recommend you revert to the latest version as soon as possible.

The latest version, 10.96.3, was available, so I updated it. However, the database update does not finish. This version probably will not solve the problem.

On 7/18/2024 at 6:37 AM, gazumped said:

I second that. I guess the days are gone when we could use various older versions with relative safety.

To be fair, damage to your EN content can and will occur no matter how up to date your client is, since they're always tweaking sync, RTE, the server, etc. Export to local (or at least non-EN cloud) storage early and often! Then do a test restore of your content (onto a fresh account for example), because it's not really the backup that matters, it's the restore.

😁Then once you've done all that feel free to experiment with older versions 😁

I'm also observing this same behavior. I've been uninstalling/reinstalling/rebooting for a couple of days now, I can use evernote for about 15 minutes, but after I receive a popup that the app needs to optimize, then I get the same behavior the original poster posted in this thread. Logs show that the app simply stops logging after about a few minutes and it's frozen. I don't see any errors in the logs.

On 7/19/2024 at 2:16 PM, masasoon said:

What a shame. The latest version, 10.97.0, did not improve the symptoms.

Are they planning to leave Evernote's operations unresolved?

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, masasoon said:

Are they planning to leave Evernote's operations unresolved?

Unless you have contacted support,  Evernote may not be aware you have an issue.  Most other users seem able to fix this issue with a clean reinstall. 

2 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Unless you have contacted support,  Evernote may not be aware you have an issue.  Most other users seem able to fix this issue with a clean reinstall. 

I've contacted support and even tried deleting the data and reinstalling.

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, masasoon said:

I've contacted support and even tried deleting the data and reinstalling.

If a Revo/ Appcleaner uninstall didn't fix it,  stay in touch with Support.

[snip] Most other users seem able to fix this issue with a clean reinstall. 

If my experience is any guide, if any of EN's many intermittent "deep" bugs go way in response to just a single, simple, clean re-install, it was likely a coincidence. Ask yourselves: how many bugs like that end up re-occurring? Plenty. How many bugs that we consider different bugs are just the same bugs in different forms? I don't see how anyone could eliminate questions like these with confidence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

A reinstall often helps - so it’s no doubt one possible momentary fix.

That it will not solve ANY underlying root cause is obvious. For that EN in my observation lacks any management focus.

They currently neglect the bullet proof day to day operation by not tackling obvious bugs. Instead they dream of a vastly improved, feature enriched „new“ EN.

It’s like building on quicksand - and in this case the architect seems to be unaware or ignorant of the necessary consequences.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

They currently neglect the bullet proof day to day operation by not tackling obvious bugs.

Exactly. When this leads to data loss in any form as it has in the past months all alarms should go off at BS. Unfortunately they prefer to hit 'snooze' again.

• Like 2

The latest update, version 10.98.0, was released today, so I installed it right away.
This time, the message "Updating database" was displayed, but now it says "Downloading content," and the progress percentage is also moving. I thought this version might be promising, but no.
I can launch the app for now, but only three of my 12 notebooks are synced.
When will they provide a proper app?

Screenshot_2024-07-25-16-18-47-39_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.png

Screenshot_2024-07-25-16-22-32-47_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.png

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, masasoon said:

When will they provide a proper app?

We seem to be up to 10.98.2 now and I had the 'updating' message for quite a long time.  If you didn't get full access to your notes I'd suggest a clean reinstall.

If Evernote is active,  sign out / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data.  The new install is still initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

We seem to be up to 10.98.2 now and I had the 'updating' message for quite a long time. If you didn't get full access to your notes I'd suggest a clean reinstall.

If Evernote is active, sign out / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app. Power off and back on, then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data. The new install is still initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

This is about an app for an Android smartphone.
When uninstalling, all data is deleted.
Then I reinstall it.

• Level 5
59 minutes ago, masasoon said:

This is about an app for an Android smartphone.

This is why posting OS specific posts in the subforum for General Issues is not a good idea, in general …

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution
On 7/14/2024 at 4:58 PM, masasoon said:

After updating my Android app to the latest version, it started updating the database, but it's stuck at 91%.
It's been taking hours.
I've deleted the data, uninstalled and reinstalled, but the same thing happened.
What should I do?

Screenshot_2024-07-14-16-48-33-21_8ccd364c752df521fe39ba6a80db379d.png

On 7/18/2024 at 7:37 PM, gazumped said:

mmend you revert to the latest version as soon as possible.

Good news. After deleting the data and installing the latest Android app version 10.99.1, I was able to use it completely again. This problem that has been bothering me since around July 12th seems to have finally been resolved. What about you guys?
However, I am very dissatisfied with the way Evernote's management has handled this issue. I will look for a note-taking app to replace Evernote.

• Like 1

Any updates on this?   for a couple of weeks now, this is all I get.  this is Evernote for Windows.  Unfortunately, I'm not successful in getting a ticket entered for issues that we had in the past.  Would love to know if there is a fix for this.  

won't load.jpg

1 hour ago, lancegowens said:

Any updates on this? for a couple of weeks now, this is all I get. this is Evernote for Windows. Unfortunately, I'm not successful in getting a ticket entered for issues that we had in the past. Would love to know if there is a fix for this.

won't load.jpg

This thread is about Android apps.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, lancegowens said:

Would love to know if there is a fix for this.  

On 7/25/2024 at 11:01 AM, gazumped said:

If you didn't get full access to your notes I'd suggest a clean reinstall.

If Evernote is active,  sign out / don't save your data locally / use Revo Uninstaller Free (Win) or Appcleaner (Mac) to uninstall the app.  Power off and back on,  then re-download and reinstall from Evernote.com and leave Evernote running to rebuild the local data.  The new install is still initially a little slow - things get better after a few days.

Current version is 10.100.x