Searching by tag only listing a fraction of notes

Go to solution Solved by VincentC,

I am searching by tag on my PC this morning, Everywhere, and it only lists 14 notes. There should be a 110 notes!

I tried another tag, one of my oldest tags, and it said 0 notes. There should be hundreds.

I've spent almost an hour on this issue. As I posted on another thread last week, I spent a lot of time on another Evernote issue last week or week before last. It's causing me to lose time rather than be productive.

• Level 5*

Try a search on the web version and then switch back to the local app.  Evernote still seem to be working on servers and it's causing some features to run slowly...

16 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Evernote still seem to be working on servers and it's causing some features to run slowly...

Oups - a new view to the problem. I thought it's a problem of recalculating the local index.
But in this case (list of old and unchanged notes) neither explanation seems to fit: Index on server site should be complete since ever...

If this operation (listing notes by tags) is calculated on server site, it make EN unusable without an iNet connection.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Index on server site should be complete since ever...

Only if they update new note indices into a steadily growing file - more efficient (usually) to replace old indexes with new ones.  Slow replacements would be an issue.

14 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

unusable without an iNet connection.

only if you depend solely on tag searches.  Assigning tags should still be possible,  and there are many other ways to find notes...

PC version still not working. Preschool charged us even though we told us we were done. Searching a tag for the preschool name, so I can find the old contract, only gave me 3 results. What a pain. I'll use the web version. Or pull up my legacy version. 

• Solution

Well then, the data is in your server account; it's just not arriving on your PC.  If you haven't, I'd try logging out of Evernote on the PC, and disabling the option to save your local data.  Then log back in on your PC and give your PC plenty of time to download a new copy of your database.

Vinnie

• Like 1
On 7/10/2024 at 6:41 PM, gazumped said:
On 7/10/2024 at 6:25 PM, AlbertR said:

unusable without an iNet connection.

only if you depend solely on tag searches.  Assigning tags should still be possible,  and there are many other ways to find notes...

Or you can do evernote-backup -- to force update everything and then hopefully find notes by tag (yes, that's sarcasm).

It's happened again. Where my Evernote for PC isn't syncing. There is stuff I need to do. To do it now! I don't have time to keep logging off, restarting, etc, and it's really dragging me down.

It was just on one computer, not my other computer. But when I let it install the newest version of Evernote, then it all synced.

To your point on network, the [personal] computer had been left on since being at my work yesterday and then today back at home without a system restart.

I have a variation on the problem above.  When I rename a tag, the search doesn't work on desktop even though the new tag name is reflected in all the notes.  In the example, desktop app reports 3 notes in search but only show a single note.  Waited 2 hours and retried search.  Same results.  Search works fine on mobile and web versions.  Happens with other searches as well.  Attached are screenshots.  Tried closing program and restarting.  No luck.  It happens for time to time. Submitted a support ticket but don't expect an answer... just wanted to make EN aware.  

Search Results Search.png

Search Results Desktop.png

• 2 weeks later...

To give you a sense of how this interrupts my workflow, I had a bunch of notes I had tagged to share with someone (not sharing in Evernote, god no, just the URLs).

I then decided some of them I wouldn't share right. So I created a subtag, and added those 5 notes. Then I clicked to open that subtag, and nothing. I waited 5 minutes. Nothing. I really want to untag the main tag, but I can't do that yet.

Not to mention, the Copy URL command is copying the Title.

So frustrating to have to wait like this.