Android v. 10.92.1 can't open links

• Level 5

I made the mistake of updating the Android app on my Samsung 22 Ultra today, and I got the new interface with v. 10.92.1. I find that links to Websites do not open. Period. I've tried multiple links in multiple notes; cleared the cache; restarted the phone. Is anyone else experiencing this?

7 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Bizarre. If I can't live with it, I'll uninstall and reinstall.

Perhaps its an issue with your default browser or android system webview. I use Vivaldi and all web links open in that. Chrome is disabled on my phone.

• Level 5
11 hours ago, Quetanit said:

Yeah, same here. The update messed up links for me too. I’ve tried everything you did with no luck. 

Good to know I'm not alone! What's your default browser that the links should open in? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling?

This same issue developed for me today on Android only (not PC). I'm pretty sure that links were working since the last app update, but I'm not 100% certain of that version; nevertheless, there was a new one available today (10.94.1) so I updated to that and still no response when tapping on links.

I then tried clearing the phone's cache via the boot menu - no luck
Uninstalling and reinstalling 10.94.1 - no luck
And finally reverting to previous version 10.91.3 which I KNOW used to work fine, but was surprised to find it no longer does!

My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note20 Ultra 5G running Android 13. There was a Samsung Android security update a few days ago - can't remember exactly when - but I'm almost sure that links have been working subsequently.

My 'default browser' is Better Open With, an app that lets you select which browser you wish to use every time you tap a link. Based on @Catahamme and @bmcl26reports just above, I will install Brave and see if that makes any difference.

I have filed a bug report (with EN's Android logs) but based on previous experience I don't expect to get any personal reply.

EDIT: This is definitely something to do with the default browser

I haven't tried Brave but I did change my default browser away from Better Open With and here are my results:

• Chrome: opens okay
  • Samsung Internet: opens okay
  • Firefox: opens okay
  • Duck Duck Go: current version opens okay (earlier versions did not)
  • Edge: opens okay
  • Vivaldi: opens okay
  • Opera: does not open
  • Better Open With: does not open
  • Sticky Password: does not open
Edited by Ralph77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
On 6/20/2024 at 11:18 AM, mackid1993 said:

Perhaps its an issue with your default browser or android system webview

I don't think this is it. I reverted Android System Webview to the factory version, but no change. 

Meanwhile (or who knows, maybe forever) here is a workaround:

1) If you have edit protection enabled, put the note into edit mode
2) Long-press on the link
The entire link should now be selected, and you can choose to open it from the pop-up menu

But if it's one of those horrid un-editable Webclipper links (that nobody ever asked for!) of course this won't work.

EDIT: I've just realised that this method only works for links that are actual URLs, not for those that are hidden behind text. Dammit!

Edited by Ralph77

By the way - so far, all we know about devices is that both me and @Dave-in-Decatur use Samsungs. Anyone else who has been affected by this, please post your brand of device?

There was another monthly Samsung Android security update for me this morning, but sadly it didn't fix it.

2 hours ago, bmcl26 said:

I use a Samsung A70, and it is working fine.10.94.1

Thanks.

I have just installed it on a very old Motorola phone that runs Android 9 with interesting results. Despite the app running at a stone-age pace on this device (it's not zippy even on my 4 year old then-top-of-the-line Samsung either) the ordinary links open okay, even using the latest version of Opera, but the Webclipper links still refuse to open. Not sure what to conclude from this.

When I get the chance later I'll install it on a recent model Lenovo tablet and report back.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 6/29/2024 at 7:38 AM, Ralph77 said:

EDIT: This is definitely something to do with the default browser

I haven't tried Brave but I did change my default browser away from Better Open With and here are my results:

• Chrome: opens okay
  • Samsung Internet: opens okay
  • Firefox: opens okay
  • Duck Duck Go: opens okay
  • Edge: opens okay
  • Opera: does not open
  • Better Open With: does not open

Thanks for this. My default browser has been Opera for ages. I updated Evernote just now to the current v. 10.94.1, and updated Opera to v. 83, and the problem persisted. Not only will links not open, but tapping the 3 dots while on a link and selecting Edit link does not work either, although clicking on the pencil icon does. So this is something wrong with Evernote, not Opera. Nevertheless, I changed my default browser to DuckDuckGo, and links open properly. The Edit link option on the 3 dots menu still doesn't work, but Open link does (as does Unlink, which was never broken). Sigh. I'll bet Evernote will put a whole team of programmers on getting this to work with Opera if I open a bug report. 🤣

• Like 1

I concur - while in edit mode and in the Link menu, the only 3-dot menu item that works is 'Unlink" - neither 'Open link' nor 'Edit link' work.

But if I change my default browser to Chrome instead of Opera, then 'Open link' does work (though 'Edit link' still doesn't, except when using the pencil icon instead, then it does).

Also in the latest version it's as slow as a wet weekend, taking up to 30 quick taps (or a commensurately long wait) before a note will open after opening the app. I expect I'll have to search for the thread on that now as well! 😠

What a dog's breakfast Bent Bloody Spoons has made of this!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Just installed 10.95.1, no change in behaviour.

EDIT: Ditto 10.95.2 and 10.96.1 and 10.96.2 and 10.96.3 and 10.97.0 and 10.98.0

I also got around to installing EN on another device, a Lenovo Tab M10 Plus 3rd Gen (Android 13). The behaviour was absolutely consistent with all my previous findings with regard to which browsers don't play nicely with EN but there was one exception: whereas with the Samsung device DuckDuckGo worked, it didn't work with the Lenovo.

Then I remembered that due to lack of use I had not updated DuckDuckGo on the Lenovo for a very long time (I prefer to micro-manage app updates, so auto updates are disabled on Google Play). After I'd updated it to the latest version to match the version on the Samsung, it worked fine.

I conclude from this that it's partly browser related (EN not playing nicely with all browsers, refusing to open links in browsers it currently lacks compatibility with); and partly related to plain poor development and testing (the issues with the 3-dot menu items not working properly; and the native link at the top of all web-clipped notes not working at all, regardless of browser).

Edited by Ralph77
Updated the list of EN versions that still haven't fixed this bug
On 7/2/2024 at 4:26 AM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks for this. My default browser has been Opera for ages. I updated Evernote just now to the current v. 10.94.1

Just a thought - given that this is presumably only affecting a small number of users (although if it were Chrome that were affected rather than Opera, I'm sure that number would skyrocket!) and given that reverting to an older version of EN from long before the issue presented itself does not help (which I think points to a server issue) - could it perhaps be related to a database issue? And if so, is there any maintenance that users can perform on their database?

12 minutes ago, Ralph77 said:

Chrome that were affected rather than Opera

I'm not having this issue with Vivaldi on Android. As an aside you should give Vivaldi a try :) . Opera was bought out by a Chinese investment firm and has made some dubious moves in the last couple of years that have been very controversial, not privacy respecting and totally anti consumer. Vivaldi is run by Jon Stephenson von Tetzchner who was the original founder of Opera and former CEO who got forced out. Vivaldi is much a continuation of the classic Opera ethos and is an incredible product.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I'm not having this issue with Vivaldi on Android. As an aside you should give Vivaldi a try :)

Thanks for the recommendation - I've installed it and will use it for a few days and see what I think. First impressions:

• EN works with it 
  • Text reflow on pinch-to-zoom works, but only in Reader mode 

The reason Opera has always been my preferred browser is because it's the only browser I know of that supports the above function. With every other browser, sure you can pinch to resize text, but the text doesn't reflow when you zoom in, so the article becomes unreadable. But at least having it available in Reader mode is not a bad compromise.

Nevertheless even if Vivaldi becomes my preferred browser, it doesn't fix the issue for me because my default browser is Better Open With https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.aboutmycode.betteropenwith

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Ralph77 said:

Better Open With 

That hasn't been updated in over a year. Hopefully EN can do something. Otherwise this may be an Android issue. 

6 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

That hasn't been updated in over a year. Hopefully EN can do something. Otherwise this may be an Android issue.

Of course it may be an Android issue, but Opera is continuously updated, so...?

Whether it's an Android issue or not, Evernote is the only app I've noticed that is having this issue, so if there is some incompatibility it's their job to fix it, and to work with other stakeholders (eg. Google and Opera) to find the solution.

Surely our observations and reports in this thread so far should be sufficient for them to be getting on with resolving the issue?

• 2 weeks later...

I did get a response today on Twitter following @mackid1993's suggestion a while back in a different thread that he'd had success contacting EN support in that way. It did take quite some time for the response (I had all but given up on it) but it was encouraging - they are working on this issue. Thanks EN Support, and thanks @mackid1993!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have this problem too, as of Aug 12, using EN for Android 10.100.1.

I've had the super annoying bug for a few months and in earlier versions.

Thanks @Ralph77 and others for their contributions. 

I too have Brave as my default browser.

Here's my symptoms/diagnosis.

• Links that have a text title (most of my best and most used ones) do NOT work.
  • Links to YouTube and other apps on my phone do NOT work (my 2nd most used link type).
  • Links that are traditional URLs to websites DO work.
  • Links to Evernote notes DO work.

I've tried using different default browsers. There's no difference for me.

Hope someone has figured this out! It's definitely causing a dramatic loss of value for me. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

did anyone find a solution for this?

cause on my "nothing phone", most recent version of evernote, does not work to open links on firefox, and i am actually considering to stop paying the plus verson of evernote if it doesnt fix this bug.

• Like 1
On 8/24/2024 at 7:43 PM, giselaortt said:

did anyone find a solution for this?

No, in fact the issue is getting worse, with browsers that used to work now not working.

Maybe this is a good thing as the increased prevalence may force the developer into action?