Looking at tag hierarchy

Posted (edited)

As previously mentioned, I have thousands of tags. In Legacy I could look at my tag list in hierarchy order, including subtags. Anyone know how to do this in v10x?

Edited to add: From the sidebar, selecting tags, a pop-up occurs. [\end]
Searching tags for "Fruit", I find "Citrus" which has a few subtags including "grapefruit" but I have no way to see what other citrus might be listed there.

• If I remove the search for Fruit, there is no listing of Grapefruit, so no listing of Citrus.
  • If I search for Citrus, I find no subtags at all.

Any idea how to see the list of sub-tags?

TIA.

Edited by TdeV
Clarity
  • Level 5*

? Click "Tags" in desktop left window - search for tag name at the top.  If it's a nested tag,  there will be drop-downs.

tags.jpg.bb20fabcc45617c913b56d582fff03dc.jpg

Posted (edited)

But, @gazumped, there is no way to see what is there, without specifically asking for it. As mentioned, I looked for Fruit, but was unable to see the sub-tags under fruit, except for Citrus which had a further subtag called Grapefruit.

How do I find a list of the tags I have under the tag of Citrus? (without knowing their names in advance?)

Edited by TdeV
Clarity
28 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How do I find a list of the tags I have under the tag of Citrus?

Well obviously you can just browse but I think the point is that you want to search for a tag and then see the sub tags associated with the tag you have found. The only way I can think of doing this is to select the main tag and then use the dropdown menu from the v in the blue tag lozenge to see the sub tags. You can only see them and not select them individually but you can copy the text and search for that. 

image.png.32f0dde7a9e72eaa75095166e3160a59.png

If you were to "include subtags" you would get notes containing any of the subtags which also might help.

Until recently if you made a top level tag a shortcut you could open it in shortcuts and see the sub tags. Unfortunately EN broke this a few releases ago and when you press the > it changes to v but nothing happens. If this functionality ever gets fixed I would suggest temporarily making the tag a shortcut. You can then open the main tag, see the sub-tags and select the sub-tags at will.

44 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Well obviously you can just browse but I think the point is that you want to search for a tag and then see the sub tags associated with the tag you have found. The only way I can think of doing this is to select the main tag and then use the dropdown menu from the v in the blue tag lozenge to see the sub tags. You can only see them and not select them individually but you can copy the text and search for that. 

image.png.32f0dde7a9e72eaa75095166e3160a59.png

If you were to "include subtags" you would get notes containing any of the subtags which also might help.

So, from this position, I see no tag for Tangerine. To add to my Citrus tag group, I have to go back to the Tag searchbox where I locate Citrus and click Add a sub-tag. I am then informed that the tag Tangerine already exists.

How do I find out WHERE Tangerine exists and how do I MOVE it?

9 minutes ago, TdeV said:

How do I find out WHERE Tangerine exists and how do I MOVE it?

You search for it in the tags pop out. To move it you can either

Drag it to the top level, cancel the search and then drag it to wherever you want it

image.png.fd70f800956d121a163c5f510d6aab4c.png

Or use the move from the right click menu or three dots menu

image.thumb.png.d4c023d7081e066a6d319243e5c45024.png

Doable but not as easy as it should be!!

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Is there a way to determine what the parent of a tag is?

I.e. I have a tag called "Potluck".
How do I find what the parent tag is?

23 minutes ago, TdeV said:

Is there a way to determine what the parent of a tag is?

I.e. I have a tag called "Potluck".
How do I find what the parent tag is?

I think you would have to search for it in the tags pop out. That will find the tag and show the complete hierarchy. 

image.png.11bc7b2d3e63359f185775d90cd22f99.png

On 7/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, Mike P said:

I think you would have to search for it in the tags pop out. That will find the tag and show the complete hierarchy. 

image.png.11bc7b2d3e63359f185775d90cd22f99.png

That does work but I hate that it doesn't show the full hierarchy (i.e. neighboring sub-tags). Do you happen to know an easy way to see the complete tag hierarchy for a tag?

• Level 5

It’s either search in the tag area, or opening the tag hierarchy there manually. You need to tell EN which tag is meant before it can show you the nesting.

That’s the minimum information needed.

10 hours ago, Paul A. said:

Do you happen to know an easy way to see the complete tag hierarchy for a tag?

Obviously once you have seen where the tag lives you can manually scroll through to find it within the wider hierarchy. 

Another possible way would be to select one of the higher tags (not the one you have searched for) and then use the drop down from the blue tag lozenge. That would then show you the hierarchy starting from the selected tag, which will include your original tag of interest (but it won't be highlighted in any way).

So to continue my example above, I've clicked the top tag in the hierarchy shown, opened the drop down and scrolled down to Plotting. I can see that plotly is on the same level as ggplot.

image.png.d455449e863333d0c9ceeb949a0a4d7c.png