Speed it up!

lionx

Idea

I think most of us did notneed new features, instead of that more speed!

- Most important for me....much more Speed in showing pdf files and after switching to another note.

- Better search in pdf files (sometimes content is not found with the search) 

- Faster search

16 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, lionx said:

much more Speed in showing pdf files and after switching to another note

Hi.  Device and OS / Evernote version numbers please?  And please describe exactly what sort of process you feel should be speeded up?

I just filtered my notes for those containing PDF files and got a list of 10,000+ in less than one second.  I opened a random note and saw the PDF content in less than one second.  I switched to another note with the same experience.  Everything seems to be work well for me...

• Like 1

Thanks for your response.

I've been an evernote user for over 10 years and am comparing what I mentioned with the old version. I mainly use EN to store pdf files like invoices etc.

When I scroll down in a list of notes, maybe with a common tag, it takes way too long to show me the content of the pdf file. Every time and every time there is the green ring first and then the content shows up. It seems to me that the content has to be downloaded from the web. Feels and seems like software 10 years or more ago.

I have three different computers with win 10 and 11 in use with different power and fast internet conection. Everywhere the same. In Legacy it was much faster, not comparable to the current version. Overall, the software does not seem to be as "snappy" as it should be. I use other software where everything works fast and fine on the same system.

For me it is clearly a matter of what kind of software is being used, how it is programmed, and whether there is fast local storage or not. So in my opinion there is a lot of room for improvement. .... 

Thats for me the most important thing and request

11 minutes ago, lionx said:

I've been an evernote user for over 10 years and am comparing what I mentioned with the old version.

If you're opening a note for the first time since using the old legacy app then it will take a second or two to convert the note into the new format.

This only happens once and then notes should open just fine.

I know, but I have opened the notes and files (pdf) several times, still the same...

Is there a way to show (upload) a video that shows the behavior?

II think you can add video... Check you're on the latest version which right now is 10.84.3. Then try a full reinstall in case of a dodgy install. Then contact support, tell them you've reinstalled 'cos they'll ask you to do this. Also send them the video.

Are the PDFs really big? I keep lots of invoices and receipts stored in notes and never see the spinning wheel.

If the reinstall doesn't help then have a word with support as they should just load up.

• Level 5*

Please uninstall using Revo uninstaller.  It will remove the bits and pieces that a standard uninstaller misses and download the new version directly from Evernote's website.

• Level 5*

After reinstalling, give it a few days to completely download your new database.  It will work initially but will be slow until everything downloads and stabilizes.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

In the situation that the OP describes I also see the rotating green circle as the PDF displays. But it takes a second. The PDF has to loaded from the local version. The image isn't stored statically in the note.  But it does take a small amount of time to load and the rotating circle appears for that brief moment.

EDIT. I should add that if I just open the note the PDF displays without the rotating green circle.  Just during the scrolling through a list of notes containing PDFs that the circle stuff arises for a second or thereabouts.

I just did a uninstall like mentioned and reinstall. It seems that the pdf Files after the first look open faster, let´s see after some time how this turns out..:-)

15 minutes ago, lionx said:

I just did a uninstall like mentioned and reinstall. It seems that the pdf Files after the first look open faster, let´s see after some time how this turns out..:-)

Good news. Give it a little time for everything to down and index on your device and then hopefully all good. 

• Like 1

So, after waiting a while for the complete synchronization, here is the result.

- a note with a pdf file that is opened for the first time takes a while (approx. 2 turns of the green waiting indicator)
- After I open the note and open it a second time, the time it takes to display the first page of the pdf is reduced to about 1/2 to 1 turn.
- this is still far from "fast" and slower than in Legacy
- when connecting with wifi instead of a wired network connection the time increases again.
- Therefore, I suspect that even after a note has been opened with pdf and then possibly ended up in the local cache, something still has to be transferred over the Internet each time it is opened again
- All in all, I still find the current version much slower, I would even say hard on the edge of acceptability if you really want to work with it
- scrolling through the notes to display the first page of the pdf file is therefore annoyingly slow
- Even many of the relativizations about the speed of the app expressed here in the forum are of little use, I think anyone who is interested can understand this for themselves in their evernote environment

Conclusion:
I hope that the developers still have speed as priority 1 on their list. New features like the file display are certainly helpful, but in the version just released they are far from professionally implemented and bug-free. I am therefore not sure whether the decision-makers and/or developers have the right focus

• Level 5*

If you're still having issues,  I'd suggest you tell Support about it - not all users have the same experience,  and unless Evernote get a certain amount of feedback from users on this matter,  they're likely just think it's happening in isolated individual cases.

Ok, thanks for your comment. Is it possible to make a research or ask the users if they have the same problems like me? Maybee i´m wrong, but i think this is a major problem...

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, lionx said:

Ok, thanks for your comment. Is it possible to make a research or ask the users if they have the same problems like me? Maybee i´m wrong, but i think this is a major problem...

This is already a post where other users could have voted in support or commented in more detail if they agreed with you.  Granted not every user reads these posts,  but enough do that you should have had some reaction if this was a general problem.  All of the responses - including me - are from other users,  and we don't have access to raise this generally,  but that's what Support teams are for.  They collect details of what's bugging individual users and pass that on to developers,  as well as trying to help individuals work through why their own experience is not as good as it should be.

If you haven't already gathered - Support got buried months ago when multiple changes to the software caused a LOT of enquiries in a short time.  They will get back to you,   but it will take as long as it takes...  be patient!

Meantime have a look at your local system - do you have plenty of free storage space?  Enough free memory?  Is there any competition for your internet access (are there several devices connecting via your current link)?  Do you use a firewall?  VPN?  Any number of things could be slowing your system down...