056 - (Legacy-login-)Connection to server impossible - please try again later (Ticket #3865052)

AlbertR

Idea

<after having sent this issue to support and got well-formulated automated answers...>

I know that Legacy has been decommissioned end of March and how to install and use EN10.
It’s OK that Legacy is no more able to sync with the server(s).

If I try to log in to EN Legacy, it tells me that connection to server is not possible, and I should re-try it later:

image.png.df5144817fda821b8439ecc88c580e9c.png

So what’s „later“?

We had some local notebooks in Legacy that are no longer accessible with EN10.
Because it is not able to log in to EN Legacy, we cannot export the notebook content to ENEX format.

Moreover the Legacy's local notes database is our last-chanche backup as long as we meet some problems with EN10's handling of attachments...

So we need a possibility to log in to EN Legacy.
Is there really no chance?

9 replies to this idea

• Evernote Expert
4 minutes ago, AlbertR said:
So we need a possibility to log in to EN Legacy.
Is there really no chance

None at all. Once the software is logged out it cannot reconnect. 

• Level 5

That's why we told multiple times in the forum to stay logged in, and keep that EN client cut from the internet from that moment onwards.

The only chance is to open a support ticket - no idea if they can trick access somehow.

Yes at all...

5 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The only chance is to open a support ticket - no idea if they can trick access somehow.

Already done (see headline). The trick might be to use a special server address by cheating the registry. I promised not to tell anyone about that (if it is possible 😉)

Our (it's not my problem 🤔) hope is/was that the login server is not responding for the moment because message says "Try again later..."

4 hours ago, AlbertR said:

So what’s „later“?

"Later" is like when you run into an old acquaintance and you each say we should hang out "sometime" and catch up. In these cases "later" and "sometime" mean the same thing... "never". 😃 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, agsteele said:

It's an old error message generated by the unsupported application which hasn't been updated.

But this old and unsupported application was able to show very actual messages like we all saw 😉
image.png.3b9ecdeb6e51693a026213a3e7990938.png

Either their was a big plan since 13.12.21 (build time of Evernote Legacy executable) or there is a possibilty to show up some messages from anywhere... 🤔

• Level 5

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a messaging capability build into the app since long ago. Something like „The server will be down tomorrow for 15min, don’t forget to fetch a coffee while we fix things“.

But this is all speculative - your chances at getting access are support, or maybe this:

https://zhuanlan.zhihu.com/p/689684427?utm_id=0

I want to add it is sort of shady, I used the machine translation and found it to be a rather challenging description. But maybe it allows access without the server. If you tried you can post your experience.

• Evernote Expert
50 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

But this old and unsupported application was able to show very actual messages like we all saw 😉
image.png.3b9ecdeb6e51693a026213a3e7990938.png

Either their was a big plan since 13.12.21 (build time of Evernote Legacy executable) or there is a possibilty to show up some messages from anywhere... 🤔

Until the server was disconnected, Evernote could push messages such as the one in red. 

The one telling you that the connection is to the server is lost is built into the application itself for just the situation when the server cannot be reached. 

So no more push messages - just the built in stuff.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:56 PM, PinkElephant said:

... your chances at getting access are support

OK, after some back and forth I was forwared to Convert local notebooks - so it was a "Handbook-not-read-error" in case of retaining content of local notebook 😉.

On 4/12/2024 at 8:56 PM, PinkElephant said:

or maybe this: <link to a chinese receipt to re-open Legacy>

I want to add it is sort of shady, I used the machine translation and found it to be a rather challenging description. But maybe it allows access without the server. If you tried you can post your experience.

Great - but also a great desaster:

• It's possible to open a local Legacy database with these registry hacks (it's so simple that I'm annoyed I didn't find it myself)

But:

• After some minutes the complete EvernotePath is deleted from disk - all locally stored EN (Legacy) data is lost 😞 😡

So

On 4/12/2024 at 12:09 PM, AlbertR said:

Moreover the Legacy's local notes database is our last-chanche backup as long as we meet some problems with EN10's handling of attachments...

is no more an option...

Even EN10 (re-)installs never removed Legacy's data. Now EN-Legacy itself kills its data (but keeps running - for what?) 😤 👎(IIRC EN promised "your data is yours..." 😒 - now our local data was ours)