How can I get rid of this /-fuctionality?

Hello there,

When I start typing the following:

5. Create/edit

EN unsolicited starts its / function and I end up with a pop-up that blocks my sight with stuff I don't need nor want:

image.png.6ca6ff3a7a2a513c087073eff86ae93b.png

That's very inconvenient.

V6 client was much better.

4 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Just keep typing.  One more keystroke will remove the pop-up.  V6 client is no longer available.

Well, it stays this way until I type a lot of characters:
image.png.906639493bde25ab6a08d3a95f39650f.png

Is there really no way to disable that feature at all?

• Level 5*

It's true in many cases more than one keystroke is required - the pop-up looks for keystrokes that match the commands in that list and shortens the options as you type it does run out pretty quickly though.

Depending on what version of Evernote you have,  try the three dots menu in any note (at the top right).  There's a Slash Commands option that will stop the pop-up entirely.

• Level 5

@Farbauti If you mean the small white box (the leftover of the window showing the options), it disappears exactly when you type the next slash, or after 8 characters.

The idea to keep it there seems to be that when you type backspace, the window fills itself again with the selectable options, based on what is already typed. So they keep it active for a little after the initial slash, to allow to correct for typos.

As usual (you know how) you can send a ticket if you dislike it.

18 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Depending on what version of Evernote you have,  try the three dots menu in any note (at the top right).  There's a Slash Commands option that will stop the pop-up entirely.

I'm using EN client v10.latest on Windows 10.

And unfortunately in my client I can only enable/disable the /-hint, but not the pop-up entirely.

image.png.2b6812bac53bf124274c715f9aabb35e.png

@gazumped, @PinkElephant

I want to say thanks. I really appreciate your replies and insights.

I see that you want to help. Unfortunately my overall experience with v10 is:

• It's not my fault, I cannot find a missing feature that I used a lot in v6.
  • A lot of v6 features simply don't exist anymore
  • And there is no chance to bring them back.
  • There is nothing this EN community here can do about it.
  • As literally none of my support tickets got resolved, I grew too frustrated to open any more tickets.

Bottom line: I'm forced to adapt to a half-baked application, instead of the other way round :(

• Like 3
  • Level 5

We had some vivid discussions when v10 launched. Some features were added over time.

But now beside the question why something is still not added (some things are not there for technical reasons, others I assume are resources / sluggishness tradeoffs), anybody asking for something needs to explain why the community of v10 users did without it for 3 years now.

My approach is that I explain my use case, and try to think why a feature may be useful for other users as well. Forward arguments, not the backward view „It needs to be added because it was“. I wouldn’t say it is highly effective, but I didn’t find a better strategy yet.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
10 hours ago, Farbauti said:
  • A lot of v6 features simply don't exist anymore

If we want to have a discussion about this, it would help to have some specific examples (the 3 or 4 most prominent would do for starters).

And of course a lot of v. 10 features didn't exist in v. 6. I'm not talking about AI Edit or / commands. I'm talking about backlinks, dashboard, etc.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If we want to have a discussion about this, it would help to have some specific examples (the 3 or 4 most prominent would do for starters).

For one thing, I don't want to derail this discussion by listing other issues here.

If you want the list of missed features, there is a list of at least 30 support tickets I opened since I started testing v10 (and not a single ticket was resolved so far).

Or just browse the last 1000 posts in forum ;)

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

... needs to explain why the community of v10 users did without it for 3 years now.

... Forward arguments, not the backward view „It needs to be added because it was“.

For a) that's why I used Legacy v6 till the last day.
Side note: I gave v10 a try as soon as it was released. I opened so many tickets, asking to bring back functionality (but all to no avail).

For b) feature XYZ needs to be added (again) because I heavily used it in the past, and I'm not ok with working around now.

• Level 5*

I've said elsewhere - Legacy is dead.  No features are 'coming back' because v10 is a completely new product in a different code base with different limitations. 

If a process is not possible within the current application it will require considerable time and expense to introduce it,  and so requires a detailed explanation of what is needed and why.  Evernote's new owners need to evaluate whether it is economic for them to try to redevelop the facility.  They don't seem unreasonable or unwilling to consider changes,  but they are dealing with millions of users,  many of whom have their own ideas about what features should be added and when.

If a feature you need seems to be missing currently you have to consider whether you can work without it,  or somehow work around it?  Or can you get it elsewhere?  

Whether or not something was previously possible,  introducing it now means months or years of delay - it's not like the code already exists and just needs to be dusted off and re-used.  Additional features need to be integrated into the new - and very different - architecture of the current app.

• Level 5
8 hours ago, Farbauti said:

Side note: I gave v10 a try as soon as it was released. I opened so many tickets, asking to bring back functionality (but all to no avail).

So did I. But of course a great many of the features that were initially missing were added back in.