Unable to create new notes on Android

Go to solution Solved by caljewel,

I can't believe it: First (as mentioned in my other topic), I'm not able to clip any notes from the app, now I can't even create any new notes on my android Evernote app! I can edit current notes, but when I hit the green new button, the new note page opens up but everything is grayed out, with no title and no cursor, just a blank page that doesn't allow me to do anything. This is getting from bad to worse.

I'm using a Moto G 5G (2022). I've uninstalled the app, rebooted the phone, and reinstalled the app several times and I still can't start any new notes. I do everything on Evernote. PLEASE HELP!! 🙏🏾😭

• 2 weeks later...

I have the latest version of the app - 10.81.0. I've reached out to support to create a ticket and it's been a little over a week and I'm still waiting to hear back. Not a peep!

I'm having the same issue.

I have really large notebooks and wondering if this might be causing the problem, eg 80,000 notes. (Been using since 2008)

34 minutes ago, BenM said:

I'm having the same issue.

I have really large notebooks and wondering if this might be causing the problem, eg 80,000 notes. (Been using since 2008)

I'm using a Samsung s22 ultra, have tried deleting cache, data, uninstalling and reinstalling. Still the same issue. Have logged a help ticket too but not holding my breath on getting a response - have heard that since new owners the support is awful

I'm in the same boat - tearing my hair out. I'm wondering - do these same issues occur on the EN iOS version for iPhones, iPad Minis and iPads? I hate the thought of switching as I'm pretty heavily invested in Android, but with upwards of 27,000 notes, I'm thinking it may be worth it to have at least one Apple device, assuming EN wrote a better version for Apple devices. Years ago, they used to say, EN was much more Apple-friendly. Maybe that carried over to the big rewrite. If there are any Apple users out there, could you comment, please? 

I also want to point out that this issue of not being able to create new notes (which I'm experiencing as well) was raised back in 2021 (I posted and others posted) and created support tickets. The response from EN was that it was a known issue, they were working on a fix, and in the meantime the workaround involved renaming the old default notebook in EN for the Web. I haven't tried that yet, but I plan to tomorrow. The issue was the new version did not recognize the old default notebook as the new default notebook, so essentially there is no default notebook in Android EN. What I'm finding is that if I'm trying to create a note in NOTES (previously ALL NOTES), I can't do it, but if I create a new notebook or go to any existing notebook, I can create notes there. 

For now, I created a new notebook and I'm successfully creating new notes in that notebook. I plan to move those notes to my old default notebook once I can get the Android app to recognize it as my default notebook.

Other issues I'm having - almost impossible to add multiple tags in Android EN. I've found a very slow way to do it (I have hundreds of tags), but I'm hoping once the default notebook is established, it might resolve.

Another issue is the share from Chrome (web clipper function) is not working.

Everything I dreaded about leaving the legacy Android version has come true. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The iOS client works acceptable since 10.6, and pretty fine since 10.10 (yes, six and ten). There are a few unresolved issues, but nothing critical.

I doubt it is the client software. iOS is simply straightforward, not having a wild bunch of makers, that install skins and bloatware on top of the core OS. One more big difference are keyboards - on iOS most devices run the standard.

What I hear about the Android client is some users have a lot of claims, and for others it is working fine. No idea why.

• Like 1

Thank you for that information, PinkElephant. My phone is a Pixel 7, so I'm running pure Android and I use Google's Gboard. No bloatware, as with some Android devices. I'm going to try to tackle the default notebook issue and hoping that will resolve some of this. I will report back, whether or not I'm successful. 

• Like 1
  • Solution

Hey Promosinc, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You were right, that was the solution all along - I just had to choose a default notebook and it solved both issues. I'm now able to clip articles as well as create new notes! I was able to do it with both Evernote desktop and Evernote web, both allowed me to choose my default notebook. I need to remember that as a way to troubleshoot Evernote in general - just switch my default notebook on desktop, then sync, then close out and reopen and then go back and choose my original notebook. That has helped in the past but I completely forgot about doing it this time. Thanks again!!!!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, caljewel said:

Hey Promosinc, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You were right, that was the solution all along - I just had to choose a default notebook and it solved both issues. I'm now able to clip articles as well as create new notes! I was able to do it with both Evernote desktop and Evernote web, both allowed me to choose my default notebook. I need to remember that as a way to troubleshoot Evernote in general - just switch my default notebook on desktop, then sync, then close out and reopen and then go back and choose my original notebook. That has helped in the past but I completely forgot about doing it this time. Thanks again!!!!

Yes, Thanks!

Evernote Android is now finally working for me again!

I couldn't select a default notebook from within the android app (there were no notebooks displayed in the dialogue to select from). But after changing default notebook and changing it back on the web client (or it may have been the desktop app), it becomes available in the android app. I can now share screenclips, photos, web pages etc to evernote and create notes from these, as well as in the app - just like i used to ages ago.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, caljewel said:

caljewel and BenM - so you didn't have to rename your old default notebook - just select it on the web or desktop client? The older fix - back in 2021 required renaming it. I'm so glad it worked for both of you. I'll be trying it myself later today. 

5 hours ago, promosinc said:

caljewel and BenM - so you didn't have to rename your old default notebook - just select it on the web or desktop client? The older fix - back in 2021 required renaming it. I'm so glad it worked for both of you. I'll be trying it myself later today. 

It seemed to work for me by just choosing a different notebook as a default, applying the change, closing settings, then going back in and changing the default notebook back to the original one. Good luck! Be interested to know what works for you.