What is wrong with PRODUCTIVITY?

Cathy Paradee

Idea

I have been using Evernote since 2017. It was perfect for working remotely with my customers. Now I find myself really SLOWED down as I work. So many of the fields that I used to be able to tab to, type and use a scroll button to select from the pull down list, now require me to actually use the mouse to go through the selections. Anyone in data entry can tell you that each time you must use the mouse to access a field or change the data in that field slows you down. If I am now spending an extra minute per note, it doesn't take very long for that to add up. Another problem is that the notes take much longer to appear when I am scrolling through them. It is unfortunate that productivity must be sacrified in this latest version.

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're actually - and mostly - other users here,  so you might be best served by raising the issue with Support to get some specific help with your account;  however in general - it's clearly a completely rewritten package with some processes moved around,  so it takes a while to get used to it;  and if yours is a recent update to v10 and you have a lot of notes,  the new install has to download the new database,  rebuild all the indexes and general set up house all over again in your local storage.  If you continued using Legacy,  notes had to be translated from one format to another to sync both apps.  After a few days' use things should get faster. 

If not,  well you now have two databases stored on your system - maybe move one to an external archive or even delete it?  If you use Windows and have less than 10% of free space in your storage,  your system will be disk-swapping to your disadvantage.

Worst case there are text expanders (I use) Phrase Express that can replay keystrokes on command.  As example on my system Shift+Ctrl+1 generates "20240312 1507" which is the date and time when I wrote this.  Many of v10's keystrokes are configurable too,  so you may not even need a third-party app.

If you have any specific fields that prove difficult please post more details here - maybe we can help...

• Level 5

@Cathy Paradee, it might be possible to offer more helpful ideas if you could give any more detail about your procedures. If you're in a table, tab definitely takes you from cell to cell. I'm not familiar with working with "fields" in Evernote notes (and you're the second person lately who's asked about tabbing among them).

Everyone is truly trying to be helpful so far. I very much appreciate the time and effort each of you are putting into this issue. I think perhaps that if I give some specific examples, than the responses I get would be helpful to my issues. Hopefully the solution is already there and I was just missing it through my frustrations with the switch.

I use evernote to work with clients in my business. I have tens of thousands of notes, so I now understand that they are each going to have to be converted before I have immediate visual access to each of them like I had previously. At least that is what I hope I am hearing. If I understand correctly, this means I simply need to be patient and that problem will resolve over time.

CREATE DATE - I am able to access this field by using shirt-ctr-i. That is not a problem. Once I am at this window, I am unable to change the create date without using the mouse. It does not allow me to tab to it and begin typing. (I can tab to it, but nothing from the keyboard is accepted once I am there - only from the mouse). This slows me down.

TAGS - Again, I am able to access this field by using shirt-ctr-i (using the mouse to click at the bottom of my note is too slow). Then I can tab to tags and begin typing. Previously I had been able to use the arrow keys on my keyboard to select the correct label, but now I must either fully type out the label or use the mouse to select from the dropdown box. Of course, this again slows me down.

MERGE NOTES - Previously I selected the notes in the order in which I wanted them to appear, then clicked on merge. Done! Now after selecting the notes and clicking merge, I am presented with a window to chose how to merge. I rarely need to change how I merge, but I have been unable to complete the merge with just one click. Additionally, none of my settings in the merge window are saved, and I must select the same settings each time I merge.

PDFS - (This was not working in legacy correctly either.) Previous to using legacy, I could open a PDF from evernote, make my notations, then save and it would remain in the note. Now it forces me to save to my computer, then readd it to the note. This really slows things down.

There are more issues, but these are the biggies - so I will stop here. Thank you everyone who is trying to help me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Cathy Paradee said:

TAGS - Again, I am able to access this field by using shirt-ctr-i (using the mouse to click at the bottom of my note is too slow). Then I can tab to tags and begin typing. Previously I had been able to use the arrow keys on my keyboard to select the correct label, but now I must either fully type out the label or use the mouse to select from the dropdown box. Of course, this again slows me down.

F3 takes you straight to the tag list at the bottom of the note so is significantly faster that using the tags section of the note information window. Both these windows search for tags starting with the characters you have typed. I'm surprised you say that you cannot select a tag using the arrow keys. For me I can go through the tags with the arrows and select by pressing enter.

If you want a search (when adding tags) that doesn't just search from the beginning of the tag name,  you can use the edit tags menu box (alt+ctrl+T)

Hope that helps a little bit.

1 hour ago, Cathy Paradee said:

CREATE DATE

All date additions in EN are a pain! You probably already realise this (it was a revelation to me!)  but you can click on the year and month to set those individually - you don't need to click back through each month

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, Cathy Paradee said:

MERGE NOTES - Previously I selected the notes in the order in which I wanted them to appear, then clicked on merge. Done! Now after selecting the notes and clicking merge, I am presented with a window to chose how to merge. I rarely need to change how I merge, but I have been unable to complete the merge with just one click. Additionally, none of my settings in the merge window are saved, and I must select the same settings each time I merge.

Same for me. I haven't found it too much of a problem, but I don't merge notes often, and I don't have a business to run. I think a configurable setting for merge defaults is a good idea, and then maybe 2 merge icons on that little ribbon menu that appears when motes are selected: Merge (default settings) and Merge (adjust settings)--since once in awhile you might want to do something different. Suggestions can go here: feedback@evernote.com.

15 hours ago, Cathy Paradee said:

You can type enough to narrow the first listed choice to the tag you want and then hit 'enter' to select the tag.

FWIW, the order in which you select them is still the order in which they will be merged, but you have two clicks: The merge button and then another merge button on the popup window.

Personally, I like the opportunity to review what I am doing, but I can see that if you merge all the time, you may have more confidence proceeding without validating.

PDFS - (This was not working in legacy correctly either.) Previous to using legacy, I could open a PDF from evernote, make my notations, then save and it would remain in the note. Now it forces me to save to my computer, then readd it to the note. This really slows things down.

This works for me on the Mac.  Opening the file, opens it in macOS Preview and marking it up and closing then closing Preview did store the markup as evidenced by it being visible in the page view of the PDF inside Evernote.

10.79.3-mac-ddl-public (20240307101007)
Editor: v177.6.1
Service: v1.95.0
© 2019 - 2024 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

• Level 5
21 hours ago, Cathy Paradee said:

The logic of the merge window is to let you arrange the sequence of the „chapters“ in the merged note. 

You can move the notes up and down to create a merged note with exactly the sequence you want to have - which is great if you for example use a merged note as an archive to several notes created during a project, semester, journaling etc. You want these usually in the order you like, not random or by the accidentals sequence of clicking them.

If the sequence is OK, or you don‘t care, just confirm.

Just a word of warning about merging in V10 compared with legacy. In legacy there was an option for EN to write the note url into the body of each note during the merging process. This means the note url for each individual note is not lost but appears in the relevant section of the merged note.

In V10 that option does not exist. The note url of the first note with a url becomes the note url of the merged note. All other note urls are lost so it is up to you to make sure the url is in the body of the note (or in a web clip box) prior to merging. My main problem is pdfs captured using the webclipper, where the only reference to the source is the note url.

The good news is that in V10 it is easy to manually copy the note url into the body of the note.

• Like 3