044 - Invalid functionality of note title fields

Problem Description
  • Around the very first line in a note window there is a design fail:
    • image.png.596d3430a9c59e38900846da6426473b.png
  • If you click on the note title, you will get a dialog to move the note to an other notebook.
    • But: If I click on anything, I want to change this - and not anything else.
  • If I click on the notebook name, I would expect to change the notebook assignment
    • and not to navigate to a notebook...

Expected behaviour
  • If you click on the note title
    • an input field (placed exactly over this text) should allow to change the note title
    • Suggestion: Note title might be displayed in bold ("044 - Invalid functionality of note title fields" in example above) and in true black color (in light mode) or plain white (in dark mode)
  • If you click on notebook name
    • either a dialog appear to move the note to an other notebook
    • or (more simple) an input field (placed exactly over current notebook name) appears to define the notebook to move the note to

Background information (See also...)

Yeah - it's a little bit weird that clicking on the note title and not the notebook is how you move notes, but I'm sure that being able to click on the notebook to view all the notes in that notebook is super handy (for those that primarily use notebooks).

I do need to change the note to just one of 4 notebooks that I have and I find myself (incorrectly) clicking on the notebook to do that -- but I'm getting more used to it this way.

1 minute ago, Boot17 said:

being able to click on the notebook to view all the notes in that notebook is super handy

OK, so there should be an Icon just before the name that motivates you to click on it to move to the notebook.

• Level 5*

I actually like the current behavior.  I guess our expected behaviors are different. I hated chasing the hover icon to move to another notebook.  Clicking on the title to move the note is different, but works for me.  If I need to change the title, I open the note and change it there.

Just now, s2sailor said:

I actually like the current behavior.  I guess our expected behaviors are different.

Yep - allowed 😉. But I think EN should go with commonly accepted UI Guidelines. Very special tricks worry new users.

The rule is easy: If I click on something, exactly this is to be changed or executed (if it is a button or text that explains the function).

• Level 5*
1 minute ago, AlbertR said:

The rule is easy: If I click on something, exactly this is to be changed or executed (if it is a button or text that explains the function).

They are following the rule.  It just depends on how you look at it. The title indicates that note. Clicking on it allows us to change the location of it.  You want it to change the title of it.  With Evernote UI I’ve learned to be very flexible.  In the past clicking on the notebook name was the way to move it.  I liked that too and it does make more sense to me than go to all notes in that notebook. 

I've kind of got used to it. More apps I use are using their own strange and wonderful shortcuts and UX styles. As long as they don't change it too often!

Maybe the new fangled styles of applications we use are moving away from the traditional ways of doing things and creating their own ways. My email software has about 8000 keyboard shortcuts and none use CTRL!!

1 minute ago, Jon/t said:

My email software has about 8000 keyboard shortcuts and none use CTRL!!

Whow - but mainstream is using Outlook (or whatever has billions or users) and I think best idea to catch users from mainstream is to make them feel familiar from start on.

9 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

The title indicates that note. Clicking on it allows us to change the location of it.

Why only the location? Following this argument clicking on it should open a dialog to change all metadata... But it conflict with "If I click on something, exactly this is to be changed"

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

Why only the location?

Why not??  😁.   Sure, other items could be added.  Personally, I tend to enter the note to change other metadata and I’m fine with how they have it.  Actually it is one of the few new changes that I actually like.

From what others posted, I may also like the changes coming to the new note button and ai edit, though I don’t have them yet to try.  I’m starting to get … hopeful.

A little lower in the screen is the title, where clicking on it allows one to change the title.  Normally clicking on something "selects it" but in this case it (the note) is already selected so I think having another function is fine although not sure what I would have chosen for that function.