Internal links not working

Links don't launch. All I see is a blank note that never loads or reverts to Home. (Another reason why I was hesitant to upgrade). Everything worked flawlessly in the legacy version. (I use internal links a lot)

• Like 3
  • Level 5

I've been using v. 10 for a couple of years, and internal links work consistently for me. It would be really helpful if you could indicate what device/platform you're on (Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Web), and whether the links are Web (evernote.com/...) or app (evernote:///view/...). Also, how long ago did you install v. 10? It can take some time for the whole notes database to download, if it's large, and maybe esp. so these days when thousands of users are doing it at once.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, chilee said:

Links don't launch. All I see is a blank note that never loads or reverts to Home. (Another reason why I was hesitant to upgrade). Everything worked flawlessly in the legacy version. (I use internal links a lot)

I had a similar discussion yesterday, perhaps it helps:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been having this problem consistently for several weeks. Often rebooting the app fixes it, but not in the last two days. And I use links a LOT, so this is a serious problem for my workflow. I've been trying to finish my dissertation, and just haven't had time to complain about it yet...

• Like 1
10 hours ago, chilee said:

Again, not working. Links all go back to the Home screen.

We need some context. For me:

If I click a link from a note when I am in a notebook or in "Notes" with no filter or search applied the link works correctly

If I filter (for me that is typically filtering by a single tag) the link goes somewhere else, often the homescreen or nothing happens. Sometimes the back button then goes to the correct link.

Opening the link in a new window (ctrl+click on Windows) always works.

Is your experience the same?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Mike P said:

If I click a link from a note when I am in a notebook or in "Notes" with no filter or search applied the link works correctly

If I filter (for me that is typically filtering by a single tag) the link goes somewhere else, often the homescreen or nothing happens. Sometimes the back button then goes to the correct link.

this is the same for me (Windows App)

all links work fine when I go directly to a notebook

but no link works if i click in filtered notes and unfortunetly this is the usual way for me to find my notes

My idea is still this:

all filter are still active if I click a link inside a note, found by filter

Example:

I set a filter to all meeting notes with checkboxes not marked (my way to find open ToDo's)

if I click inside this note, for example mail from Tom, Evernote jumps anywhere but not to this mail 😞

and the reason is clear for me:

this mail doesent match my previous set filter since it is no meeting note and there are no checkboxes inside, neither marked nor unmarked

For me this is a very silly programming mistake done only by bloody beginners, I am very frustrated about this error since it disturb my workflow a lot

Okay, rhere was a nice tip here in the forum to press ctl before clicking the link and yes, this works

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, cooljake said:

and the reason is clear for me:

this mail doesent match my previous set filter since it is no meeting note and there are no checkboxes inside, neither marked nor unmarked

Thanks for your input. Your experience is very much the same as mine. I'm not sure that I fully accept your explanation though. If I have a filtered list and click a link to another note in the filtered list it still doesn't work. 

At the beginning of the year EN said they would be focussing on the many small bugs that frustrate users. So maybe this will get fixed eventually.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Thanks for your input. Your experience is very much the same as mine. I'm not sure that I fully accept your explanation though. If I have a filtered list and click a link to another note in the filtered list it still doesn't work. 

yes, since the filter is still active.. it should be disabled as soon a link is clicked, since a link to a single note is unique without any filter

4 minutes ago, cooljake said:

yes, since the filter is still active

but the filter includes both the parent and the target note.

Whatever the explanation it definitely needs fixing.

• Like 1
On 3/18/2024 at 4:49 AM, Mike P said:

No, links still all go to Home. Very frustrating! This all worked before.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, chilee said:

No, links still all go to Home. Very frustrating! This all worked before.

I fear this bloody beginners who they let program at EN just focus on some minor issues..

now I can create pretty arrows with "->" great 😕

9 minutes ago, chilee said:

No, links still all go to Home.

Interesting. Provided my list is not filtered in any way the links will go to the correct note. It is only if they are filtered that I have problems. Obviously more complex than I had first thought.

16 minutes ago, cooljake said:

I fear this bloody beginners who they let program at EN just focus on some minor issues..

now I can create pretty arrows with "->" great 😕

All these changes are cosmetic--making it "pretty". Software is primarily a tool.

Sometimes, not always, when I click an internal app link on Windows, it auto opens Chrome and tries to sign me in to web based Evernote.  Incredibly frustrating.  

I never use web links, only internal app links.  What gives?

13 hours ago, jlazzthedon said:

Sometimes, not always, when I click an internal app link on Windows, it auto opens Chrome and tries to sign me in to web based Evernote.

If you edit the link, so that you can see the actual link, is it in internal link format (begins evernote:///) or a regualr weblink?

What is the purpose of the filters? Apparently they interfere with function of the links. When I clear the filters the links seem to work fine. But when I go back to the shortcut tag, the filters re-appear and the links don't work. Also, what is the purpose of the hover over the links that have blue text? As always, very frustrating.

image.png.0ead2990a991ec75c131570b24f6a54a.png

There is also the "backlink" button that works like a breadcrumb, but why not use the actual breadcrumb Note>Note>Note? It's a feature that hides its actual function. The drop-down is a confusing affordance.

• Like 1

A work around is to open the searched note in its own window and then the link seems to work (on macOS at least). For me the bug is limited to a search result or filtered note, but opening the note in its own window seems to fix it. 

11 hours ago, Tcellguy said:

A work around is to open the searched note in its own window and then the link seems to work (on macOS at least). For me the bug is limited to a search result or filtered note, but opening the note in its own window seems to fix it. 

If I understand what you are saying, then it doesn't work for me. As noted above the thing that does work is opening the target note in a new window by ctrl clicking the link.

The only time this works for me is if you also clear the search in the main window.

• 2 weeks later...

I find that when clicking on these internal links and it can't find the linked note ( even in the same filter ) that my CPU usage goes through the roof. Code is definitely having a dummy spit and then when it can't work it out it goes to home screen,  does nothing or off to some random note. 

Have logged this with support here are their helpful replies Lol.

Hello there,

Thank you for reporting this bug. We understand it's impacting your Evernote experience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Here's some information on what to expect next:

Timing to fix the issue

The lifetime of a bug fix can vary significantly depending on multiple factors, including its reproducibility, severity, and complexity, and finding a solution usually requires thorough analysis, testing, and monitoring. We'll investigate it thoroughly and get it resolved as quickly as possible.

Updates on progress

In order to maximize our team's impact and ensure we can properly assist as many Evernote customers as we can, we're not able to follow up on every individual bug report. Please consider this email to be a confirmation that we have received your report and are prioritizing the bug fix accordingly! Our team may reach out for additional information to help us diagnose the issue.

In the meantime, the best way to stay up-to-date with our progress is by reading the release notes that accompany each new version of Evernote. They're always shown upon launch after an update, and can also be accessed via this webpage or your preferred app store.

Troubleshooting

We invite you to follow these troubleshooting steps and make sure to keep your Evernote apps updated to avoid missing out on the release with a fix.

We appreciate your patience and understanding—please don't hesitate to contact us with any other questions.

Kind regards,

Evernote Support Team

Thank you for getting back to us.

We understand how frustrating it can be when something isn't working as expected and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Rest assured, your concern has been noted and reported to our developers. While we may not have an immediate solution at hand, please know that we're working hard to prevent any such issues from arising in the future. Enhancing the user experience of Evernote remains a top priority for us. 

We truly appreciate your patience and understanding as we work through this. Your feedback is invaluable to us as it helps us improve our product and provide a better experience for all our users.

If you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with, please don't hesitate to reach out. 

Warm regards,

Amelia, Evernote Support Team
Help & Learning | Youtube | Forums

• Thanks 1