How to best switch off legacy on Windows?

Has anyone experience or knowledge how to move away from the legacy version on Windows?

I have it (and love it) on my workstation. I had to keep it, because V10 has nauseating bugs that don't let me work (such as the broken HTML export). But alas, its time is up.

I have been running V10 on my laptop for quite some while (this is how I know that for me V10 is an inferior product). I don't know the internals, whether I actually have two datasets in the cloud or see exact the same thing. In both views the notes are the same and I consider myself lucky, that I haven't lost data yet (or at least don't know about it).

So my question:

1. do I migrate by installing V10 on top of legacy on my workstation? I understand that V10 will wipe out legacy now and "migrate" the data (whatever that means).
  2. or do I just uninstall legacy totally, reboot and install V10 and wait for sync?

I have some 20GB in 18,000 notes (15 years worth). What do you recommend? Does it matter at all?

Thank you.

I just moved from Legacy (on Windows) to the latest version. I tried this a few months ago and went straight back to the legacy version, but I bit the bullet yesterday and, at least for now, the new client seems to be better than it was months ago, from performance to interface. It still lacks many features from legacy, though.

I suggest you to read Saying goodbye to legacy versions of the Evernote app and do a backup of your notes (per notebook, as suggested by the Evernote team). After that, just close Evernote legacy and install the new version. The installation is quick and should remove the legacy version in the process. You can use the new client right after installation, no need to wait for a complete sync.

Good luck!

Thanks. It says in that linked document

Legacy versions of Evernote use a different note format than v10. As such, each note must be converted to the new format.
This action takes place when the note is opened for the first time in v10 and can last a couple of seconds.

which is why I am asking. My notes must be converted now, since I use them on V10, too. Or are just the ones I opened on V10?

This is why I am asking if I could somehow bypass the conversion by not installing V10 on top of legacy, but do a clean install of it.

1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

Thanks. It says in that linked document

Legacy versions of Evernote use a different note format than v10. As such, each note must be converted to the new format.
This action takes place when the note is opened for the first time in v10 and can last a couple of seconds.

which is why I am asking. My notes must be converted now, since I use them on V10, too. Or are just the ones I opened on V10?

This is why I am asking if I could somehow bypass the conversion by not installing V10 on top of legacy, but do a clean install of it.

I did a clean install somewhere and somewhere I left it "on automatic"

I didn't notice any difference in the result..
But I prefer to do a clean install and manually delete all Legacy remnants from Windows

• Level 5*

Notes get converted as you access them the first time, not all at once.  You have a fairly large database and it will take v10 some time to download your new database.  Give it some time to complete and be patient, it will initially be slow.  If you have been using v10 and legacy together then, as I understand it, they get converted back and forth depending on which version you are using.  By delay, maybe 1–3 secs would be typical unless it is a really large note.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can do anything:

Let legacy installed, and simply install v10 by downloading the installer from the EN website. This will usually detect the legacy install, ask and then wipe it.

I would check in any case if that has worked, because several GB blocked on der local drive without s passion could be a bad idea.

Or wipe it first, using an app like Revo Uninstaller. Then restart and start all over again.

9 hours ago, s2sailor said:

If you have been using v10 and legacy together then, as I understand it, they get converted back and forth depending on which version you are using. 

Thanks. That explains some of the troubles I had. I don't remember having read anything like this. Or was there a blog or whatever entry explaining it?

In any case, thank you @s2sailor, this helps.

Informational. I did a complete reinstall of v.10 yesterday morning and uninstalled Legacy... And I deleted any folders that were left in AppData/Roaming and Local...

So I deleted manually even the remains of the databases...

I installed a clean install of v.10.77.3 and started a new sync. So the computer  (Windows 10) ran for some 7 hours during that time.

Actively the database in c:\Users\user-name\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\   is 2,25GB... 

Optical internet 600 MBit

....so the big database synchro will take a few days...

1 hour ago, Razmataz said:

😱😱😱

But you can click through to everything, I just don't think index and tag searching will work right away...

And you can open any note in a few seconds when you click on it....
I think it's primarily synchro for offline mode