New UI changes

Got surprised with the new UI design today. Two questions-- 1) how do I install a version of Evernote that does not have the awful changes? 2) Baring that, is there an option to change the background color of notes to light/white while in Dark Mode (Mac OS)?  

The UI change is horrendous. The dark sidebar with white pages in notes allows for better focus on the task at hand.  Now that everything is either all light-mode or all dark-mode, the UI has taken a major downgrade in visual usability. And there are no options to make adjustments?! Incredibly frustrating. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*
49 minutes ago, wurstemb said:

Got surprised with the new UI design today. Two questions-- 1) how do I install a version of Evernote that does not have the awful changes? 2) Baring that, is there an option to change the background color of notes to light/white while in Dark Mode (Mac OS)?  

The UI change is horrendous. The dark sidebar with white pages in notes allows for better focus on the task at hand.  Now that everything is either all light-mode or all dark-mode, the UI has taken a major downgrade in visual usability. And there are no options to make adjustments?! Incredibly frustrating. 

I think you will find that most people here are in agreement with your comments.  I’m not aware of anyway to go back to the old UI or change the background color.  We are mostly users here.  It would be helpful to feedback your comments to Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
3 hours ago, wurstemb said:

With you all the way. You can give Evernote your responses (and the more detailed the better) at https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback. What I find most aggravating in the overall approach to this is that it was announced in a blog post that declared with astonishing absurdity "visually intrusive elements like a dark sidebar inadvertently drew attention away from the content you were working on." That never happened, ever: the contrasting sidebar allowed focus on the Notes List and editing/viewing pane by separating itself from them. Did some graduates of Design School 101 with loads of theory and no experience get into Bending Spoons' ear and persuaded them to undertake this hopelessly wrong-headed revamp? Anyway, you're not the only one who's mystified at it:

• Thanks 2
5 hours ago, wurstemb said:

Baring that, is there an option to change the background color of notes to light/white while in Dark Mode (Mac OS)?  

You can tell Evernote to always be in light mode in settings.

On 2/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

With you all the way. You can give Evernote your responses (and the more detailed the better) at https://waz9zvkd1f2.typeform.com/newuifeedback. What I find most aggravating in the overall approach to this is that it was announced in a blog post that declared with astonishing absurdity "visually intrusive elements like a dark sidebar inadvertently drew attention away from the content you were working on." That never happened, ever: the contrasting sidebar allowed focus on the Notes List and editing/viewing pane by separating itself from them. Did some graduates of Design School 101 with loads of theory and no experience get into Bending Spoons' ear and persuaded them to undertake this hopelessly wrong-headed revamp? Anyway, you're not the only one who's mystified at it:

Thanks for sharing the feedback link. I will definitely submit feedback. You are spot on regarding your comments about the dark sidebar/white note. This echos my immediate thoughts on seeing the new UI--the lack of contrast actually makes the page look more cluttered and visually indistinct. 

• Like 3

agree with you guys. thanks for the feedback form link.

the bright purple-blue of the input controls are awfully ugly, I can't stand with them most.

at least Evernote should give us a choice to change the color theme of such highlighted part.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The issue of distracting colors permanently on the interface - 10.78-2-win-ddl-public - is easily resolved with a sticky note. It's sad but this is what I had to resort to with "brilliant" green and purple in my face 100% of the time. See photo.

pix.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I must be one of the only people who really likes it lol, especially the dark mode. I like the addition of more colour too with the green and purple boxes for notes and tasks. 

• Like 2
  • Level 5
5 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

I must be one of the only people who really likes it lol, especially the dark mode. I like the addition of more colour too with the green and purple boxes for notes and tasks. 

I also like the bright colors. They don't distract me; they cheer me up a bit and maybe even encourage me as I work. The fact that Evernote is so flexible and is useful for so many different approaches to work and other activities is another good reason why we should have some selections possible in themes or stylesheets. Let there be options in colors, brightness, contrast, etc.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I also like the bright colors. They don't distract me; they cheer me up a bit and maybe even encourage me as I work. The fact that Evernote is so flexible and is useful for so many different approaches to work and other activities is another good reason why we should have some selections possible in themes or stylesheets. Let there be options in colors, brightness, contrast, etc.

Additional themes could be the solution to the current reactions, not sure if they are open to that, time will tell I guess. I’m looking forward to mobile (and iPad) getting some tlc, it looks aged to me now when switching from desktop. 

• Level 5
32 minutes ago, WilliamL said:

Additional themes could be the solution to the current reactions, not sure if they are open to that, time will tell I guess. I’m looking forward to mobile (and iPad) getting some tlc, it looks aged to me now when switching from desktop. 

Personally, I hope that all the love that the Android app will get will be to fix bugs and leave the appearance strictly alone. It's too small a screen to "modernize" and thereby degrade readability and accessibility.

• Like 1