Is there a way to skip version upgrades on EN win desktop?

Every time I update to new versions it creates numerous duplicate notes which then takes me a half an hour to sort out.  I've posted on this before and contacted EN but no solution so far.  I would prefer to not update until major updates are released.  However, I noticed that when I close the program or the computer it automatically does the update when it comes back.  I looked around in the settings and could not figure out how to disable that.  I think that many of these updates are fairly minor and can be safely ignored until a more major update comes along (not sure how to tell exactly).

• Level 5

All that (except for the note duplication!) seems to be the expected behavior. Wanting to skip minor updates seems to be a fairly frequent request. Deciding which ones are minor would be the problem, though the list of release notes would help. But the real problem here is the note duplication. I assume since you've posted on it before, you've done the Revo uninstall and reinstall. Out of curiosity, does the same thing happen when the Web client updates to a new version? If not, then it must be a local issue somehow. IAC I guarantee that when you do hear back from support the first thing they'll say will be "Update to the most current version." 😅

1 hour ago, idoc said:

Every time I update to new versions it creates numerous duplicate notes

Does it follow any rule? Where to original notes come from (Import Folder, inbound eMails, ...)? Did you made special changes to the notes (tagging, moving around notebooks, ...)?

1 hour ago, idoc said:

then takes me a half an hour to sort out.

How do you find the duplicates? (You're a long time user with thounds of notes, I guess 😉)

I

1 hour ago, AlbertR said:

Does it follow any rule? Where to original notes come from (Import Folder, inbound eMails, ...)? Did you made special changes to the notes (tagging, moving around notebooks, ...)?

How do you find the duplicates? (You're a long time user with thounds of notes, I guess 😉)

It's immensely frustrating and it's guaranteed to happen every time the desktop window app upgrades.  For example, right now I have 25 notes in my Inbox (my default notebook).  If I update the app I will then see that there are 40 or more notes in the Inbox.  Those will include the 25 legitimate ones and another 20 or so that appear out of nowhere.  Those zombie notes will be notes that I have dealt with before ie: tagged and put into other notebooks.   When they reappear in my Inbox they do not have the tags (which is one way I can tell that they are zombies).  The next time I do an update I will be more methodical and try to figure out what is the rhyme or reason they are coming back ie: could it be something in my "Add to Evernote" files, are they all notes that contain pdfs, are they all coming from one notebook etc.  I pay for two accounts with EN (both personal) and have filled out 3 tickets over 3 months.  No response as of yet.

By the way, I have not done a Revo uninstall and reinstall.  I did a normal uninstall and reinstall (didn't fix the problem).  

• Level 5
2 hours ago, idoc said:

I

It's immensely frustrating and it's guaranteed to happen every time the desktop window app upgrades.  For example, right now I have 25 notes in my Inbox (my default notebook).  If I update the app I will then see that there are 40 or more notes in the Inbox.  Those will include the 25 legitimate ones and another 20 or so that appear out of nowhere.  Those zombie notes will be notes that I have dealt with before ie: tagged and put into other notebooks.   When they reappear in my Inbox they do not have the tags (which is one way I can tell that they are zombies).  The next time I do an update I will be more methodical and try to figure out what is the rhyme or reason they are coming back ie: could it be something in my "Add to Evernote" files, are they all notes that contain pdfs, are they all coming from one notebook etc.  I pay for two accounts with EN (both personal) and have filled out 3 tickets over 3 months.  No response as of yet.

By the way, I have not done a Revo uninstall and reinstall.  I did a normal uninstall and reinstall (didn't fix the problem).  

I haven't done it myself, but there have been many reports here of Revo Uninstaller successfully removing a corrupted installation, and a reinstall working without the previous problems. A pain no doubt, but it sounds like pain is already present.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Considering that you see this problem with every update, I would definitely give Revo a try.  That seems to clear out bits and pieces that may be left behind with a routine uninstall.  It seems to work for others that have mysterious problems.  Fingers crossed that it works for you too.

12 hours ago, idoc said:

Those zombie notes will be notes that I have dealt with before ie: tagged and put into other notebooks.   When they reappear in my Inbox they do not have the tags (which is one way I can tell that they are zombies).

That's a sure sign of a corrupted local database because tags are stored not directly with the notes. And if only changed notes re-appear, it seems like an internal list of "recent changes" that's mis-interpreted in any way...

I hate reinstalling any software to wipe problems the software causes itself - but Revo Uninstaller might help because it surely remove all EN fragments (including the local database).

So I can confirm that using Revo uninstaller seems to have helped.  After doing this I was able to update the version a few days later and to my delight the duplications did not occur.  I am dealing with EN at both home and office so I can only hope that this situation remains the same at both places.  But so far, so good.  Thanks for the recco.

• Like 3

The above post was premature.  The Revo uninstallation did not solve the problem.  However, I am honing into the actual problem and it may be different.  If I save a pdf file to "Add to Evernote" which is my import folder, then that file goes directly into EN desktop.  For example, I have a file called 129319 Hyundai which was saved to the Add to Evernote folder on my hard drive.  However, once I see the file in EN I change the note name to "Ioniq 5 Hyundai 2024" and move it out of my inbox and into my Home folder.  However, the next time the program updates I see that the original note "129319 Hyundai" has re-appeared in my inbox.  I now have to delete that duplicate note.  It will keep re-appearing until I go to the hard drive directory and delete the original pdf.  I do not recall this ever happening with Legacy and I always had the same workflow.  Somehow this workflow (saving files to the import folder, changing the name of the note, re-assigning it to another notebook) is causing duplicates.  

• Level 5
23 minutes ago, idoc said:

The above post was premature.  The Revo uninstallation did not solve the problem.  However, I am honing into the actual problem and it may be different.  If I save a pdf file to "Add to Evernote" which is my import folder, then that file goes directly into EN desktop.  For example, I have a file called 129319 Hyundai which was saved to the Add to Evernote folder on my hard drive.  However, once I see the file in EN I change the note name to "Ioniq 5 Hyundai 2024" and move it out of my inbox and into my Home folder.  However, the next time the program updates I see that the original note "129319 Hyundai" has re-appeared in my inbox.  I now have to delete that duplicate note.  It will keep re-appearing until I go to the hard drive directory and delete the original pdf.  I do not recall this ever happening with Legacy and I always had the same workflow.  Somehow this workflow (saving files to the import folder, changing the name of the note, re-assigning it to another notebook) is causing duplicates.  

Ah. Yes, this is a pretty well-discussed situation. We were promised a setting to delete files from import folders, as in Legacy, almost from the day v. 10 first appeared, but it hasn't happened yet, causing exactly the problems you've experienced. Some folks here have written batch files and used other techniques to automate the deletion process. Some prefer to leave the files sit for safety's sake and clear out the import folder periodically (this likely works best if notebooks have their own import folders, and the note titles don't get changed after importing). That's about all that can be said for now. You might want to email feedback@evernote.com to suggest that this finally get fixed.

Thanks for your help. I’m surprised that there aren’t more people that are upset by this. My entire workflow deals with files that I place in the import folder.  It seems illogical that I place a file there so that i can see it in my inbox, adjudicate it (rename, tag etc) and then move it to another notebook….only to see it bounce back to my inbox. And even if I delete it from there it bounces back again the next time I update. Just madness. I have now created a second folder called Add to EN 2.0. Before every update I will move whatever is in Add to EN into this holding folder. In this way the main import folder is virginal when an update occurs. 

By the way- nobody at EN to discuss tickets. They send back canned messages only. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, idoc said:

Thanks for your help. I’m surprised that there aren’t more people that are upset by this. My entire workflow deals with files that I place in the import folder.  It seems illogical that I place a file there so that i can see it in my inbox, adjudicate it (rename, tag etc) and then move it to another notebook….only to see it bounce back to my inbox. And even if I delete it from there it bounces back again the next time I update. Just madness. I have now created a second folder called Add to EN 2.0. Before every update I will move whatever is in Add to EN into this holding folder. In this way the main import folder is virginal when an update occurs. 

By the way- nobody at EN to discuss tickets. They send back canned messages only. 

If you search on import folders or delete import or something like that, you'll find the others who are or have been upset. It's definitely been a point of discussion. feedback@evernote.com is to receive comments and suggestions, not create support tickets. They definitely won't discuss; what becomes of the suggestions I don't know.

FWIW, I use import folders a lot and generally don't have a problem.  The one time I had an issue, I realized I had both my desktop and my laptop running Evernote.  My import folder is a subfolder of my desktop which, on my new desktop, is part of Onedrive synch.  I think what was happening was that Onedrive was mirroring the file from one computer to the other, and Evernote was seeing that as a new instance of the file, reimporting it.  So, on the off chance that you've got more than one machine open with Onedrive, Dropbox, or similar tool running, you might try changing the import folder so that it doesn't get mirrored.

(Hope this clear; I'm rushing because I'm about to run out the door!)

Vinnie

Since this does not seem to be a generalized problem with other users I assume that it's simply some kind of unique set of circumstances with my setup.  I'm done with trying to analyze it.  It's probably wasted a dozen hours of my time.  The solution is simple ie: before I update the app I simply copy everything in my import folder into another folder.  When I do that nothing gets duplicated.  

On 2/17/2024 at 6:26 PM, idoc said:

the computer ... automatically does the update when it comes back.  I looked around in the settings and could not figure out how to disable that. 

The original post asked this question which does not seem to have been answered. IS there a solution?