10.76.2 - Added alignment options for images within a note

I've seen a few requests for being able to center images on the page like we could with Legacy, and now with 10.76.2 that is possible. https://evernote.com/release-notes/10.76.2 - Improvements: Added alignment options for images within a note

However, this new feature was added at the expense of being able to have multiple images side by side (sans a table). So images that were once side by side will now appear vertically stacked. I'm sure it will break other people's notes as well. (Edit: With 10.77.3, the side by side feature was restored and the wonky rectangle selection was fixed!)

We can add images to a table to allow them to be placed side by side which will serve as a workaround with table borders (and an extra row of white space).

It's kind of weird how the window selection rectangle spans the whole page:

image.thumb.png.951a22c2430657a5667b83ba5e6bc1c7.png

To resize, you must grab the corner, then with the mouse button down move the mouse cursor back over by the image and resize. When you first start to move the mouse after grabbing the corner, the window selection rectangle will jump to then only surround the image itself and then the rectangle will jump back to span the whole page once you release the mouse button.

• Like 5

Examples for comparison of UX of before and after as far as resizing the image:

Before 10.76.2

See how the blue selection box stays fixed around the image and the resize corner stays under the mouse the whole time. Behaves as you'd expect.

image.gif.d3b4eface323a612a4bdf66f56d5ec2b.gif

With 10.76.2

With 10.76.2 the purple selection box jumps to the max width of the note and then you must drag the mouse all the way in to resize.

image.gif.beabd177fc69306d982db13d393a5898.gif

iMO, it's not quite as good a UX as existed before for resizing the image.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Boot17 said:

Examples for comparison of UX of before and after as far as resizing the image:

Before 10.76.2

See how the blue selection box stays fixed around the image and the resize corner stays under the mouse the whole time. Behaves as you'd expect.

With 10.76.2

With 10.76.2 the purple selection box jumps to the max width of the note and then you must drag the mouse all the way in to resize.

iMO, it's not quite as good a UX as existed before for resizing the image.

Great screen clips (removed for space). I imagine this must be a bug. One of many that needs fixing!!!

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@ConfusedCupcake, sadly, it seems to be a "feature," not a bug, meant to enable the aligning of individual images left, center, or right.

I... I really, really, really hope this isn't the case. Or at least I hope that they will include a way to put images next to each other like we used to be able to 😭

If this is really how it's suppose to function, then it's probably the worst update I have ever seen. I know this won't affect everyone, but it really messes my notes up. I do not understand what they were thinking if this is how it's supposed to function. 😭

• Like 2
  • Level 5
1 minute ago, ConfusedCupcake said:

I... I really, really, really hope this isn't the case. Or at least I hope that they will include a way to put images next to each other like we used to be able to 😭

If this is really how it's suppose to function, then it's probably the worst update I have ever seen. I know this won't affect everyone, but it really messes my notes up. I do not understand what they were thinking if this is how it's supposed to function. 😭

Clearly this "improvement" has not caused problems for everyone, but for those who are negatively affected by it, it seems pretty disastrous. You can let them know at  feedback@evernote.com.

38 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Clearly this "improvement" has not caused problems for everyone, but for those who are negatively affected by it, it seems pretty disastrous. You can let them know at  feedback@evernote.com.

Yeah, it really is. I'll send them an email in hopes that they will actually read it and maybe even consider fixing it 😭

kuzco-crying.gif.96309e2ccd0084889865ad3f0157b1e1.gif

• Like 2

Pardon this partially duplicated comment from another thread on Saturday, but I feel it is more of an appropriate comment for this thread...

I feel like this is a case of one step forward, two steps back -- but in this case: one feature forward, two features back. 

In my mind, centering an image is a nice feature, but it's not near as useful a feature as being able to have images side by side (without using a table as tables are not mobile friendly as far as images go and they have a big gap at the bottom of each cell and the table cell margins are *huge* now)

I wonder if it's something they even knew to consider. There aren't as many years of Evernote user experience on the dev team as there used to be so I wonder if they are surprised to find out that they break things that were used by a good number of people. 

Initially they removed the note title from the title/menu bar with the UI revamp but then we saw it re-emerge a few weeks later next to the notebook name.

Hopefully they can do something similar here to restore the old functionality as well if that wasn't already planned for.

• Like 5

I got a response to my request from Evernote, according to it they are aware of the issue and are investigating it. I do not know if this was just a copy paste response or if they really do mean that they are looking into fixing it, but it's something. 🤷‍♀️

d72e3afa3281c9c647de91984e739a2e.thumb.png.4ac556381a4f2e989f482aa6a61c5cf3.png

• Like 1
On 2/20/2024 at 10:45 PM, Boot17 said:

Pardon this partially duplicated comment from another thread on Saturday, but I feel it is more of an appropriate comment for this thread...

I feel like this is a case of one step forward, two steps back -- but in this case: one feature forward, two features back. 

In my mind, centering an image is a nice feature, but it's not near as useful a feature as being able to have images side by side (without using a table as tables are not mobile friendly as far as images go and they have a big gap at the bottom of each cell and the table cell margins are *huge* now)

I wonder if it's something they even knew to consider. There aren't as many years of Evernote user experience on the dev team as there used to be so I wonder if they are surprised to find out that they break things that were used by a good number of people. 

Initially they removed the note title from the title/menu bar with the UI revamp but then we saw it re-emerge a few weeks later next to the notebook name.

Hopefully they can do something similar here to restore the old functionality as well if that wasn't already planned for.

Hi, 

today I got a new EN Web version (10.77.3) and I was delighted to see that the image issue has been resolved:

It is now possible to align images AND to place them next to each other.

Well done, Evernote, I now like the new UI much better!  (I just would like to see that the "separation bar, the one invoked with ***, will be a little bit thicker or more visible than it is right now)

• Like 3
On 2/20/2024 at 10:22 PM, ConfusedCupcake said:

Yeah, it's a disaster. I can't figure out how they could mess up the layout so badly without providing an option to keep the original layout while still adding the new feature (centering). It's almost audacious that you can't even go back to the old version. Thanks to the auto-update that you can't turn off, we're stuck with this version. All my notes and mood boards that I've sent to numerous clients are basically unreadable now. It's unbelievable.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

Yay! 🎉

The image resizing weirdness is back to normal too.

Ah, good to know. I still have 10.76.2 and no option for an update. Hopefully, it comes soon 🙏

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
Just now, toems said:

Ah, good to know. I still have 10.76.2 and no option for an update. Hopefully, it comes soon 🙏

You should be able to get the latest version by downloading it directly from their website.  You don’t need to wait for the update to be available within the app.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

@ConfusedCupcake, can you tell me how you get images side by side? I also just downloaded 10.77.3, and I see the fixes--but I have no practice at putting multiple images on a line, and I can't figure out how to make it work. Seeking instruction, in remote possibility I need to do this.

I just drag and drop the images next to each other.

Also deleting any space between images will automatically put the images next to each other.

Though this is only on desktop, I've never gotten my images to display side by side on mobile.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Boot17 said:

We couldn't ever have text and images on the same line in v10 (without using a table), but it was possible in Legacy.

Yep. Just installed EN10.77.3 to check for the news. And yes - I can place two images side be side on a line. But that's all 😞 (*)

• Attachments occupy a who line (not only a standardized width card to show type, name and changed date) - why?
  • It's impossible to place text beside (before or after) an image - why?

An image or attachment-card should be a simple item (like a character) on a line. If you place the cursor just before an type - input should appear just before the attachment. If you place the cursor just behind - input should apprea just behind. I thank that's not that difficult 😤. Every text processing app (including Legacy) work this way...

(*) good news around that: They seem to work on it 😉 👍

• Like 1
On 2/15/2024 at 5:48 AM, Boot17 said:

I've seen a few requests for being able to center images on the page like we could with Legacy, and now with 10.76.2 that is possible. https://evernote.com/release-notes/10.76.2 - Improvements: Added alignment options for images within a note

However, this new feature was added at the expense of being able to have multiple images side by side (sans a table). So images that were once side by side will now appear vertically stacked. I'm sure it will break other people's notes as well. (Edit: With 10.77.3, the side by side feature was restored and the wonky rectangle selection was fixed!)

We can add images to a table to allow them to be placed side by side which will serve as a workaround with table borders (and an extra row of white space).

It's kind of weird how the window selection rectangle spans the whole page:

image.thumb.png.951a22c2430657a5667b83ba5e6bc1c7.png

To resize, you must grab the corner, then with the mouse button down move the mouse cursor back over by the image and resize. When you first start to move the mouse after grabbing the corner, the window selection rectangle will jump to then only surround the image itself and then the rectangle will jump back to span the whole page once you release the mouse button.

Totally Agre. side by side is far better and means with multiple pictures one does not need to scroll very far which is most annoying. and using a Table is more workload.