Hourly API call limit

Lots of chatter about this...anyone found out what is going on?

I have a paid account.  I'm using Zapier to append to a note, and it literally only lets me append once per hour...WTF??...over. 

8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

(It may not be the perfect solution, but what’s perfect ?)

So, is that what they are telling people?  Wow...I'm already on the fence about the value of Evernote.  This might be the tipping point. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Bradly F said:

So, is that what they are telling people?

No, this what another user is telling you.  For the most part, we are all only users here.  Contact support for an Evernote response.

1 hour ago, s2sailor said:

No, this what another user is telling you.  For the most part, we are all only users here.  Contact support for an Evernote response.

Thanks.  I've contacted them, but from what I'm hearing (not only on this forum), it could be a cold day in hell before I hear back...or at least a very long time.  It is the way of the world these days.  It takes some places days to respond (if they do)!   I've learned to just keep going and trying to find alternatives while I wait.  Often, I've moved on and/or already ditched the product by the time I hear back.  I don't know how these places stay in business!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 hours ago, Bradly F said:

it could be a cold day in hell before I hear back...or at least a very long time. 

It will take a while.  We are all hoping this is a temporary setback.  We’ll see …

13 hours ago, Bradly F said:

I'm using Zapier to append to a note, and it literally only lets me append once per hour...

Do you get an error message (with text?). I'm using Make (formerly "Integromat"). Sometimes an error message "RATE_LIMIT_REACHED" is returned - but only if there are really tooo much requests per time slice. But nobody can tell exactly how many operations in which time is allowed 😞.

For me it depends on the amount of return (and processed) notes after searches that are executed every 3-5 minutes.

Du you use any such periodical triggered tasks?

Sometime a "RATE_LIMIT_REACHED" message comes along with "Attempt updateNote where RTE room has already been open for note: <UID>"

15 hours ago, Bradly F said:

I'm using Zapier to append to a note

Maybe your note is open for edit in your EN client. This blocks other API changes in the background 😞. Close the note, navigate to an other note and wait some time (minutes) before retrying to execute your Zapier commands.

Background: EN introduced a new sync algorithm ("RTE" - Real Time Editing of note parts...) that often blocks API access. There is no clear workaround available. Maybe Zapier finds a solution together with Evernote (i.e. so hold back changes until the RTE room re-opens). But for the moment Envernote offers no API calls for that 😤

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AlbertR said:

Maybe your note is open for edit in your EN client. 

I closed Evernote on my computer, and it worked just fine!  So that solves one problem but creates another.  I typically have Evernote up in the background all day... apparently I have to close it for things to work?  That's not great. 

• Like 1

That sounds like more of a Zapier implementation issue than an Evernote one. Have you tested something like IFTTT to isolate the problem to Evernote or Zapier? If it happens with another integration service then I would say something may be up with the Evernote API.

31 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

That sounds like more of a Zapier implementation issue than an Evernote one. 

The folks at Zap point their finger at Evernote, of course. The way things go with all things technology...  But, in this case (with my limited understanding), I tend to agree because the error is being caused by a limitation on the Evernote side. 

1 hour ago, Bradly F said:

The folks at Zap point their finger at Evernote, of course. The way things go with all things technology...  But, in this case (with my limited understanding), I tend to agree because the error is being caused by a limitation on the Evernote side. 

They'll just both point fingers at one another. It always goes that way in tech. We had a major piece of software break at work because of an update to a Microsoft runtime. Our vendor just pointed at Microsoft and said they can't do much. 😂

On 2/12/2024 at 6:23 PM, mackid1993 said:

Have you tested something like IFTTT to isolate the problem to Evernote or Zapier? If it happens with another integration service then I would say something may be up with the Evernote API.

Since RTE many API users have problems. Filterize gave up (closed now). Make often shows "RTE room open" together with  "RATE_LIMIT_REACHED". With IFTTT and Zapier I did only small tests - but with no problem so far. Maybe not tested enough 😉.

From my point of view EN should talk to API service providers because they offer things that are not available at EN directly. It may help to widen EN's user base...

• Like 1
On 2/18/2024 at 9:48 AM, AlbertR said:

With IFTTT and Zapier I did only small tests - but with no problem so far.

I did some tests today with Zapier: still unstable.

Operation denied because the calling application has reached its hourly API call limit for this user.

screenshot_20240220_141659.thumb.jpg.eb4db21a93fce42c7cbac583e12cf284.jpg

I won't contact Evernote support. I did this at the beginning of 2023 during the RTE rollout, and it was never fixed. They don't seem to care about this issue, and I have no interest in renewing my premium subscription. 🙂

57 minutes ago, bwydoogh said:

I won't contact Evernote support. I did this at the beginning of 2023 during the RTE rollout, and it was never fixed. They don't seem to care about this issue, and I have no interest in renewing my premium subscription. 🙂

Oh what a pity... I got an answer from support. Not as I hoped - but a good explanation of the current situation:

• The rate limit applies to the total number of API requests for a specific user. The limits are typically adequate for common applications, especially if they are optimized to reduce the number of API calls. You can learn more about limits and best practices here. For your particular application, I recommend you stagger your requests across multiple hours.

I forwarded this to developers of Make and noted that Filterize didn't have exactly this problem in the past. Maybe this motivates Make's devs to get better 🙏 - or contact EN to re-think their limits...

Good luck with that. I don't believe anymore in a solution. It all started when the RTE rolled out (I was on the preview beta); my macOS shortcuts also broke (same issue). And what is the limit (if that would be the issue)? I strongly believe there is something else going on. Once I start editing a note to which content is added via Zapier, things break in subsequent calls. 

• Level 5

Just took a look at the embedded devs document. It is obviously from 2013, so it won’t reflect RTE syncing and probably other changes introduced since.

So even if the Rate Limiting is still unchanged, it may be that the effect of all these changes lead to a much higher rate, thus killing the API use.

Furthermore it says the Limit is applied per App and account. The support text says it is one limit per user. Not sure what user means in this respect, but to me this sounds as if one app breaking the limit will cause all others to stall as well.

More questions opened than answered, it seems.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It is obviously from 2013, so it won’t reflect RTE syncing and probably other changes introduced since.

Yep - there where not changes in API  with RTE - and that's the problem.

So even if the Rate Limiting is still unchanged, it may be that the effect of all these changes lead to a much higher rate, thus killing the API use.

😤 - with all the gone free users it should be possible to widen (or remove) the Rate limit (at least for Professional and Teams accounts 😉)

Furthermore it says the Limit is applied per App and account. The support text says it is one limit per user. Not sure what user means in this respect,

API access cannot be per App because it runs on server site. So "Account" means "User" - supporter is right (or was there a possibility to access the API on clients in former days?)

More questions opened than answered, it seems.

Yep - but the it was a joy to get an answer from a developer (or 3rd level support) 🙂

• Like 1
On 2/20/2024 at 7:42 AM, bwydoogh said:

And what is the limit 

Apparently, it's VERY low...  I thought this was working for me but now I'm limiting out with less than five submissions. 

2 minutes ago, Bradly F said:

Apparently, it's VERY low...  I thought this was working for me but now I'm limiting out with less than five submissions.

I don't believe that "error message." I just tested it and was able to send 7 submissions. It broke once I opened the note in a client. Since this issue started when RTE was rolling out, I strongly believe it is caused by opening the note. The issue began at the beginning of 2023 when I was on the preview beta of RTE. They never fixed the issue even though I did my job as a beta tester by reporting the issues and sending reminders to the support tickets. 🙄