open note from note link in another note

I've finally upgraded to v10 out of fear that Legacy will stop working. Still don't understand why it was decided it'd be a good idea to REMOVE features for the new version (and make it slower), but hey, what do I know.

In Legacy, if I had a note open as a window with (application) links to other notes, clicking on a link would open the linked note in that window. Alternatively, I could right click and choose to either open as a tab in the same window, or open the note in its own window.

In v10, clicking on a link within a note seems to return to the home screen with the linked note open in preview (which doesn't always work on the first click, and is then slow to load). Right clicking only offers the "open" option, which does the same thing as clicking on the link. This is putting a serious damper on my workflow. I don't see any settings to change this behavior. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something...?

MacBook Pro Monterey 12.7.3  EN 10.73.3

I have EN loaded on my Windows desktop at home, but don't use that functionality on that computer. Will try it to see if this may be a Mac-centric issue...

44 minutes ago, kkarney said:

In v10, clicking on a link within a note seems to return to the home screen with the linked note open in preview (which doesn't always work on the first click, and is then slow to load)

This is my same experience on both Mac and Windows. Clicking a link to another note will take the "main" window note editor to that note. It doesn't always work on the first try (this used to work, but this bug started happening to me within the last year I believe) and is slower than legacy.

In v10, there are no multiple tabs like we had with Legacy on Mac (Windows never had them). You can open a note from a link into it's own window in a few different ways though, but that's the best we can get on Desktop Evernote. The note in its own window is just the note itself and not another instance entirely of the whole Evernote user interface. If you use Evernote in a browser, you can open up multiple browser tabs and load Evernote -- not quite as good as what we had on Mac Legacy though.

The feature has made accessing my Evernotes so remarkably easy!
One of the best Evernote features is "Copy App Link" found in the "Copy Internal Link" submenu (accessible by tapping the top right corner's "..." symbol.

Once copied, the copied app link can be pasted into any other app, e.g.  iCal, Reminders.
Clicking the note's URL in an app, will open the Evernote app, clicking it again will open the linked note. No having to search for the note!

• Like 1
  • Level 5
5 hours ago, kkarney said:

I've finally upgraded to v10 out of fear that Legacy will stop working. Still don't understand why it was decided it'd be a good idea to REMOVE features for the new version (and make it slower), but hey, what do I know.

In Legacy, if I had a note open as a window with (application) links to other notes, clicking on a link would open the linked note in that window. Alternatively, I could right click and choose to either open as a tab in the same window, or open the note in its own window.

In v10, clicking on a link within a note seems to return to the home screen with the linked note open in preview (which doesn't always work on the first click, and is then slow to load). Right clicking only offers the "open" option, which does the same thing as clicking on the link. This is putting a serious damper on my workflow. I don't see any settings to change this behavior. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something...?

I actually thought that clicking on a link in a note opened as a separate window did open the linked note in that window. I'm positive that it did that very recently, so the new, very stupid behavior of opening it in the main window must have been introduced in some update. There is a way to click on a link in a note opened in a separate window and get the linked note to open in another separate window: use Ctrl (probably Cmd on a Mac) when clicking. The main window will still stupidly open, but the linked note will open in a foregrounded separate window.

31 minutes ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I actually thought that clicking on a link in a note opened as a separate window did open the linked note in that window. I'm positive that it did that very recently, so the new, very stupid behavior of opening it in the main window must have been introduced in some update.

I think it's been like this in v10 since the beginning -- if not -- then at least for a very long time. I keep a note open in a new window all the time docked to the right side of my monitor that I use as quick notes + shortcuts so I'm always clicking on note links from that window to open the note in the main window and have been doing this for quite some time. I actually find it more useful that way. If I don't want to open the link note in the main window then I open the linked note in another new window instead.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I keep a note open in a new window all the time docked to the right side of my monitor that I use as quick notes + shortcuts so I'm always clicking on note links from that window to open the note in the main window and have been doing this for quite some time.

Nice trick. I will have to try that as an alternative to my approach, which is to have my "Master Dashboard" at the top of the shortcuts list so is always available with ctrl+1

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
12 hours ago, Boot17 said:

I think it's been like this in v10 since the beginning -- if not -- then at least for a very long time. I keep a note open in a new window all the time docked to the right side of my monitor that I use as quick notes + shortcuts so I'm always clicking on note links from that window to open the note in the main window and have been doing this for quite some time. I actually find it more useful that way. If I don't want to open the link note in the main window then I open the linked note in another new window instead.

Sounds very effective. I'm not that thoroughly organized, though, and sometimes I do want to open a linked note in the same independent window, which I'm really sure did work for a long time. Anyway, we are where we are now. feedback@evernote.com to suggest changes.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

I actually thought that clicking on a link in a note opened as a separate window did open the linked note in that window. I'm positive that it did that very recently, so the new, very stupid behavior of opening it in the main window must have been introduced in some update. There is a way to click on a link in a note opened in a separate window and get the linked note to open in another separate window: use Ctrl (probably Cmd on a Mac) when clicking. The main window will still stupidly open, but the linked note will open in a foregrounded separate window.

Thanks for that. It's at least better than what I was doing before!

• Like 1