Update is installing a 2nd version and then downgrading

Is anyone else having this problem, and have you found a permanent fix?

For the last 3 updates, Evernote installs a second version of Evernote in another folder, not of my choosing, and then later downgrades both copies to the earlier version.  The last time I upgraded to 10.72.2, and then downgraded to 10.71.2.  I worry about what this could do to my data and it is of course, annoying. d

The Evernote install .exe initially installs it under c:/program files (x86)/. The next update installs into a user folder ( C:\Users\userx\AppData\Local\Programs\Evernote\Evernote.exe).

I have been advised to just delete the entire Evernote folder under AppData and use the remaining version OK, but with the next update, the problem repeats.  And this solution seems pretty ad-hoc and risky for data integrity. I have also removed all versions of Evernote with Revo uninstaller and reinstalled it, but that did not help either.

I have reported this each time to Evernote, but they stopped replying after the 2nd occurrence, and I only reported the 3rd occurrence today.

• Evernote Expert

This is an extreme version of an issue that seems to arise intermittently.

The x86 directory is the location previously used by the Legacy program. %AppData% is the place for v10.

You really need to fully uninstall and clean out all remnants of both installations and start from scratch. Revo Uninstaller is the recommended method but given the double installation locations you should also check that x86 Evernote directory has gone as well as any Evernote directories under %APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% have also been removed.

Only once you've got an Evernote free installation, reinstall with the latest installer from evernote.com

• Like 1

@agsteele  I will keep what you say in mind.  The installer itself put it in the (x86) folder on the last clean installs, and the first time support said to delete the %AppData% version.

I will start over (again) and see if it installs in the %appfolder% (which I find an odd place for executables...) this time, and report back.

• Level 5

If the problem persists, you probably have a residual entry in your Windows registry. In this case run the uninstall with Revo.

After that, use a tool that checks and cleans the registry. I used to use CCCleaner „back then“, but it may be there are better choices today.

Only after setting the registry straight, install again.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert
5 hours ago, Grant837 said:

The installer itself put it in the (x86) folder on the last clean installs, and the first time support said to delete the %AppData% version.

I will start over (again) and see if it installs in the %appfolder% (which I find an odd place for executables...) this time, and report back.

The fact that it was adding it to the x86 directory structure indicates, I suspect, a left over registry entry that is confusing things. That is where the Legacy would go.  The %AppData% directories are not entirely incorrect for programs - possibly not intuitive for those of us who have worked with Windows for many years.  But it is where the v10 applications should install - even if it doesn't make sense ;)

That's why I recommend a thorough clean out and reinstall.

• Like 1

I believe we have the same issue. Our Versions keep upgrading/downgrading every day. How do we disable the update process? This seems to bypass our IT departments upgrade policy and is reeking havoc for us. Including the possible duplication/corruption of some of our notes.

• Level 5

From what I read it may well be that your companies IT policies ARE THE REASON why the update will repeat itself.

It executes, then fails for violating a rule set as firewall or similar, the retreats to the prior version, then try again, and so on.

In general the user must be granted local admin level to be able to install local apps. If not, use the web client in a browser, or move your EN usage over to a mobile device.

• Level 5

I don't know if it could be related, but Evernote has released an update designed to work around IT-imposed restrictions. If you're not on v. 10.73.4 (the .4 is the important number), you can download it from evernote.com:

• Level 5

No.

What may be is that they had this release in the making, but not yet ready to launch, and decided to give it to users with problems.

The function will be integrated and released to all users on a later date.

• Level 5

Then uninstall EN completely. It’s not up to you to request software changes to „cleverly“ circumvent the rules of your employer. It is you who has to comply with the rules.

You can’t wash your hands without making them wet.

4 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Then uninstall EN completely. It’s not up to you to request software changes to „cleverly“ circumvent the rules of your employer. It is you who has to comply with the rules.

You can’t wash your hands without making them wet.

I’m sorry I do not follow. I’m trying to comply with my IT department policies. Are you saying that I’m not? Or are you saying that since Evernote decided this is how it’s gonna work, if I don’t like it, quit using Evernote? Please clarify.

And, since you’re making these very strong statements, do you represent Evernote? Please help me understand your background in this conversation so that I can give it the appropriate credit.

I mean no disrespect. I just wanna understand who I’m talking to and what my true options are.

• Evernote Expert

This is the way Evernote works. It isn't possible to stop auto updates.

Evernote staff have a clear STAFF label. Otherwise we're all other users.

1 minute ago, agsteele said:

This is the way Evernote works. It isn't possible to stop auto updates.

Eccentricities staff have a clear STAFF label. Otherwise we're all other users.

Thank you. I will move this to a support ticket. 
Many thanks to everyone involved. 

• Level 5
5 hours ago, ybp9003 said:

Evernote has released an update designed to work around IT-imposed restrictions

Is this official Evernote policy? I certainly hope not. 

You're replying to my wording in a post sharing a link to a post from the product head. My choice of wording was too broad, and I apologize for any confusion. Just read the post I linked to for the facts.

Update: I removed every trace of Evernote (Revo) and let the new install do its thing, and waited for the update.  Fortunately,  it seems to have worked, and I only got an update in one directory - the AppData one.    I am not really happy with this being the program folder, since standare for Windows is the Program Files directory, but for now, this reduces my frustration with Evernote...