Can't open an encrypted note (Evernote Desktop Version 10.72.2 for Mac)

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

I created an encrypted note a few years ago. I occasionally open it using the encrypted password. However today i no long get a prompt for the encryption password. I don't know how long this has been and issue but i am guessing sometime within the last month or two.

Thanks in advance!

• Level 5

Don’t know what was created - there are no encrypted notes in EN. You can only encrypt a text selection inside of a note.

Did you access it using a v10 client ? Or was it only accessed with a legacy client before ?

Sorry, i may have used an incorrect description in my original post. I "encrypted" the text inside the note. Once you encrypted the data, you could click on the note but you could not see the contents unless you entered the "encryption" password. I apologize that i can't tell you the exact wording but the choice to unlock the note's contents no longer appear and i simply can't remember the wording.

I can't even get to this menu. All i can see is the note title. In fact, i can not type into the Note field, which tells me that i have lost the data that was there and Evernote no longer recognizes there was a password required.

This is how encryption used to work:

To encrypt text in an Evernote note, you can do the following:

Open the Evernote desktop app

Open a note

Highlight the text you want to encrypt

Right-click and select Encrypt Selected Text

Set a passphrase

Click Encrypt 

• Evernote Expert

This the image I see when I open a note with encrypted text. Can you grab a screen shot and show us what you see?

Screenshot2024-01-20160827.png.ded0fda94d5808bb3ed6785d9287c2c8.png

When I point at the three dots I see:

Screenshot2024-01-20161018.png.96dabb6cf4b558ab269b254ba7cac786.png

And I choose to Reveal encrypted content I get the following where I type in my encryption 'password'

Screenshot2024-01-20161229.png.d5608897a7c8c9ba1fe41c9e51f4c1b7.png

@agsteele I exclusively use the Evernote desktop app and always keep it up to date. I wonder if during one of the updates the encrypted text was deleted.

Also, i duplicated the Note to see if that did anything, but the duplicated note behaved the same (just the title, no apparent content).

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution

OK, it look like the note has lost its content.  I'd use the Note History function and check whether it can be recovered.  Failing that go in via the web browser client and see if the content is still present there.  But try Note History first.

@agsteele Thank you!!! Per your suggestion i used the Note History function and restored the version from 12/28/23 and the note contents, along with encryption is back! I am in your debt sir.

I also learned something very useful from you reply and that is about Note History.

• Evernote Expert

You are welcome. I can't say that this is a common issue so have no idea of the cause.  But Note History is often the thing that rescues us ;)