Is it Possible to have Seperate Task Lists?

Go to solution Solved by agsteele,

Wondering if it's possible to split up Task lists into seperate ones. As of now, every task in every note goes on the same list. Would be nice if they could be split up to be in different lists, based on project or category.

• Level 5*

Hi. In the same way that the 'all notes' display shows...  well,  all notes in all notebooks - the Tasks display shows all tasks.  Since you can tag individual notes,  the way to see all related task notes is to tag them individually so they're easy to search,  and / or create a Table of Contents list so you can jump between them.  I use a saved search.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, TimZ321 said:

Would be nice if they could be split up to be in different lists, based on project or category.

Best way is to make up your own system and use the search facility. I use emojis and a text expander to give me easy access to them

image.png.475d17ac3c29223515d074b3ef1438d6.png

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

As you will realise, Tasks can reside in any note.  Indeed, IMO, the power in Evernote tasks is their ability to make a Note actionable.

So, keep your Tasks in a separate Note which represents the list(s).  Then in the Task pop-out tap the Notes tab and your Tasks are sorted by the Note that they reside in.

It is relatively trivial to move a Task from one Note to another by editing the Task and selecting the new Note that you want it to sit inside of.

I have a note just for recurring tasks for example, things I have to complete every day yet want to hold myself accountable to do. Tasks that go with something go in a note with that topic, and then anything one off that doesn't have a topic goes in the default tasks note.

Thank you! Yes, I have all my tasks in separate notes based on project. I think my question was more about how they all compile together in the Tasks tab and if its possible for it to be compiled by oproject.  For my purposes CATEGORY (NOTEBOOK) > PROJECT (NOTE) > TASK. I can view all of the tasks within the project note but when they compile into the main Task tab, it's not as helpful as I can't differentiate it by project.

Unfortunately, the tasks filter falls down on the iPhone. The "Locate in" option does not work (it used to but stopped working several months ago). I submitted tickets about this three times. It was first "escalated for further review" 6 months ago.

So I am using Notes as tasks.

• Evernote Expert
  • Solution
17 minutes ago, TimZ321 said:

For my purposes CATEGORY (NOTEBOOK) > PROJECT (NOTE) > TASK.

For my purposes Category=Stack, Project=Notebook Notes=action/activity/etc within the project and contain the associated task(s).

If you could bring yourself to adjust your structure then I think that the Task pop-out sorted by Note could do what you want.

29 minutes ago, TimZ321 said:

it's not as helpful as I can't differentiate it by project.

Just include the name of the project (or an icon representation of it) in the task and search the task list for the project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I'm wondering if there's a way to group tasks by Notebook automatically? In my case, I'd like to be able to take notes during a meeting and quickly add tasks to my notes, summarize them on a page (in this case within "tasks"), and view all of my tasks in one area.

The one thing that I'm not able to figure out is how to group tasks by something, in my case by Notebook (or project). Is this feasible??

Thanks all