For how long will I be able to use Version 6.25.1.9091 ?

Hello evernote team & community,

my evernote program on Windows 10 showed me 1 to 2 months ago a message with a red marker that my version is out of date and I need to update it.
For how long will I still be able to use this version (6.25.1.9091) as I don't like the newer versions (especially because I can't use specific fonts in the newer versions anymore).

I will leave evernote once it won't let me use my version anymore.

• Level 5

Older legacy clients have stopped syncing while we are posting this. When 6.25 will stop, we can’t tell - but I think „soon“ describes it pretty well.

When a font selection is what you need above all, you will probably not have a wide choice. Many apps are following markdown, which means they are pretty frugal with fonts either.

• Like 1

Until today I was using version 7.8 because I hate all the reduced features. But now I can't use the software without updating. This is outrageous to me.

Today's project is now to get a complete export and choose an Evernote replacement. I've been dreading this.

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, volkher said:

I will leave evernote once it won't let me use my version anymore.

Then you would be well advised to make your plans now. The closest alternative to the version that you currently use remains Evernote v10 but, as @PinkElephant said, if lots of fonts is your key requirement then Evernote is no longer for you. I think one or two additional font options may come with the new UI wich we may see this month. But not an unlimited choice.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
1 hour ago, nmjk said:

Until today I was using version 7.8 because I hate all the reduced features. But now I can't use the software without updating. This is outrageous to me.

You are the one using a stripped down, outdated version - not everybody else.

Furthermore it is technically dead, and a potential security risk to yourself and your data on the cloud server.

It’s outrageous that you expect EN to keep it alive just to please your personal spleen.

Since you ignored all warnings, you will now have to act under pressure. I hope you choose wisely.

Meanwhile you can use any modern client including the web client to access your data.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, nmjk said:

Until today I was using version 7.8 because I hate all the reduced features.

Could you give some more detail? When v. 10 first launched (prematurely) it lack a lot of features, the vast majority of which have been added back in, along with many features never available in the earlier versions. So which features are you missing specifically?

• Like 2

Thank you for your answers. I hope that pinkelephant isn't working for evernote because I found some of his answers to nmjk impolite. But I don't think you are? If yes, that would be bad customer support and I would quit evernote right away. Part of your answer and the answer from agsteele was very helpful. I think someone at evernote should know the date till when each version is working.

I was already not happy when I got an e-mail on Dec. 9th out of a sudden that I can only use 1 notebook anymore. They sad they prewarned the people, but I never received a notice from them before. I would have liked some middle tier product which is still usable for 2 or 3€ per month. That would've been great. Not to mention I've paid 300€ to evernote over the years.

Right now I am thinking switching to the new version as after some research for alternatives I am not so happy with the alternatives, but will test them in the upcoming days.
As the "magic" happens I am not able to sync my old evernote version since 15:30 CET today. This happened before over the years so I hope that I will be able to log in soon again.

All the best 🙂

• Like 1
On 1/10/2024 at 12:47 PM, PinkElephant said:

You are the one using a stripped down, outdated version - not everybody else.

Furthermore it is technically dead, and a potential security risk to yourself and your data on the cloud server.

It’s outrageous that you expect EN to keep it alive just to please your personal spleen.

Since you ignored all warnings, you will now have to act under pressure. I hope you choose wisely.

Meanwhile you can use any modern client including the web client to access your data.

I appreciate such a graciously worded response...

I don't expect Evernote to keep their cloud service alive and accessible to legacy clients according to my whims. However, I also don't expect to have a company decide, without warning, that I can no longer even open a program that I pay for, on my own computer, to access my local data. Yes, they've communicated a lot about things changing over the years, that's fine. But by fully disabling the local software they made a big error, and have proven they don't really understand how crucial an element their product plays in many people's every-day workflows.

A much better approach, if they needed to create a clean break with legacy clients, would have been to simply stop syncing to the server and have a visible announcement on their website explaining the change.

It frustrates me that, in order to confidently use software that I pay for, I should also have to spend time staying up to date with a company's developer blog. It's one thing to be excluded from ongoing development if I have chosen to stop updating. It's entirely another to lose access to local data.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Could you give some more detail? When v. 10 first launched (prematurely) it lack a lot of features, the vast majority of which have been added back in, along with many features never available in the earlier versions. So which features are you missing specifically?

The main one is multiple tabs in one window. It's unwieldy and frustrating having to juggle multiple windows, very much disrupting my workflow.

The second is being able to sneak paragraph-formatting (specifically lists) into encrypted text blocks. Even opening my encrypted text blocks yesterday (after the forced software update) erased the list formatting, which actually caused knowledge loss. All my list indentation—hierarchies of information—previously held meaning which I can no longer retrieve or reference, ever.

There are other irksome changes, too. For example:

• Simply opening encrypted text blocks updates the edit time of a note, even though there were no changes.
  • The home screen is an irritation because I can't really use it, since I'm on a legacy subscription (updating my subscription would put Evernote out of reach, financially).
  • No longer being able to use search grammar, such as excluding a certain tag while including others. Legacy Evernote's search grammar was amazing. I have been informed this is still possible.

I know change is inevitable, and I'm working on becoming more resilient to change. I also know that it's impossible to expect a software company's feature/development decisions to always exactly match and support my use of a product. The solution to that would be to allow me to choose which version of the software to use, functionally opting out of future development.

I'm an old-school tech person and I'm weary of the SaaS, subscription-based world, where applications are just shells that load the most recent rules from the cloud instead of being functional, standalone programs.

Edited by nmjk
updated with new info.
  • Evernote Expert
23 minutes ago, nmjk said:

The home screen is an irritation because I can't really use it, since I'm on a legacy subscription (updating my subscription would put Evernote out of reach, financially).

Just an observation... It was announced in October or November that the old grand-fathered subscription prices have come to an end. When you next come to renewal you will be on the current Personal plan at the prevailing price. You will get an Email warning of that a month before your renewal. So if you are not able pay the new rates make a plan for where you will move to.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

If you are talking tabs, you are in the wrong subforum. 6.25 is Windows, and it never ever had tabs (I know you are on a Mac, but now explain to us why the 90% of Windows users came along without ?).

Encryption of text snippets: Most unimportant feature, very limited in its approach. Who do you think is going to steal your Plan of World Domination from the EN server (where anything is encrypted anyhow).

Get a better encryption tool, encrypt outside of EN, store the encrypted files if you need serious encryption.

Search grammar works just the same. Plus it learned new tricks not available on legacy, like the „contains“ parameter. If you want better search, go for v10.

Stand alone: Legacy is not stand alone - since 2008 it is a cloud based service, all features controlled on the server, and based on a subscription model. Where is the difference ?

And finally, as already mentioned: When your grandfathered plan is up to renewal, you can’t continue it. You need to decide between Personal or a now rather useless Free plan.

If you don’t like it, start to remove the dust from your „Plan B“.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Just an observation... It was announced in October or November that the old grand-fathered subscription prices have come to an end. When you next come to renewal you will be on the current Personal plan at the prevailing price. You will get an Email warning of that a month before your renewal. So if you are not able pay the new rates make a plan for where you will move to.

Much appreciated! Thank you. You'd think that info would go out by email to subscribers on the legacy plans.... 🤔

35 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

If you are talking tabs, you are in the wrong subforum. 6.25 is Windows, and it never ever had tabs (I know you are on a Mac, but now explain to us why the 90% of Windows users came along without ?).

Encryption of text snippets: Most unimportant feature, very limited in its approach. Who do you think is going to steal your Plan of World Domination from the EN server (where anything is encrypted anyhow).

Get a better encryption tool, encrypt outside of EN, store the encrypted files if you need serious encryption.

Search grammar works just the same. Plus it learned new tricks not available on legacy, like the „contains“ parameter. If you want better search, go for v10.

Stand alone: Legacy is not stand alone - since 2008 it is a cloud based service, all features controlled on the server, and based on a subscription model. Where is the difference ?

And finally, as already mentioned: When your grandfathered plan is up to renewal, you can’t continue it. You need to decide between Personal or a now rather useless Free plan.

If you don’t like it, start to remove the dust from your „Plan B“.

Re:subforum - I'm a little confused about how "Evernote General Discussions" is the wrong subforum. Did you mean the post that I added my initial comment to? Perhaps let that be between the OP and me.

Re:encryption - Your replies are rather hostile and unpleasant; if you aren't willing to communicate like an adult, I will disregard future posts from you.

Re:search - Good to know excluding is still possible. It wasn't working for me at all yesterday. Thank you.

Re:standalone - I'm aware legacy isn't standalone. That final sentence was a broad statement. Even so, Evernote is not an "online only" piece of software—it's usable offline, as long as all the notes are synced. Nothing about my comments is less relevant just because Evernote is based on cloud sync.

In all likelihood, we're done here. Thank you for the piece of useful information you provided.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

Sorry for a second reply! Do you recall where that announcement landed? I haven't been able to find anything yet.

• Level 5
2 hours ago, nmjk said:

The main one is multiple tabs in one window. It's unwieldy and frustrating having to juggle multiple windows, very much disrupting my workflow.

Thanks for the specifics. As @PinkElephant noted, this was only ever a Mac feature, and got lost in the leveling out of the user interfaces across platforms in v. 10. I wouldn't mind having it in Windows. But it is possible to achieve something similar using the Web client, using multiple browser tabs.

2 hours ago, nmjk said:
  • Simply opening encrypted text blocks updates the edit time of a note, even though there were no changes.
  • The home screen is an irritation because I can't really use it, since I'm on a legacy subscription (updating my subscription would put Evernote out of reach, financially).

I don't know if it's related, but lately there have been many observations of notes being marked as updated/edited simply by being opened and viewed. That's definitely a bug, hopefully to be squashed soon. I don't know how many users are affected by issues with encrypted blocks, such as formatting loss; IAC, it would be worth reporting to support, and then working on your memoirs while they process their backlog. 🙂

If you ever get to a point where Home is available for you, you may find it useful (it is very customizable); if not, you can always just switch to the Notes list--if you use that, Evernote will default to it as your last-viewed state when it re-opens, so you can avoid Home.

• Like 2

Encryption is also an added layer of encryption locally.  Yes, "if someone already has access to my machine they're going to get it anyway", but extra layers are extra hurdles that the average "target of opportunity" intruder or prying eye isn't going to have time to mess with, as opposed to having things in plain text.  Yes, Elephant, there are things even on a local protected machine that should not be displaying in plain text, even if it's source resides on Evernote's "impenetrable" cloud fortress. 

If there is a retroactive crippling of a long embedded feature that has been utilized in notes dating back to at least 2009, it will just at another rat maze of problems for the existing paying users to untangle and manually encrypt externally as you suggest, whether they decide to jailbreak their 50+ GB databases and jump ship to someone else, or they decide to stay and keep paying for this ever evolving migraine.  Retroactively reworking encryption points for 3rd party, outside the app on entry points that were on a pick and choose basis for over a decade would be a nightmare even IF there was a sane and orderly way to search them, to then manually outsource to some other app to piggyback with Evernote or evacuate one by one. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

We have heard it all.

Insisting on features no longer supported create a hurdle for the user, not for the imaginary bad boys.

It‘s take it or leave it now, harsh as it seems.

Who waited until the last moment to leave long unsupported software has to take what he gets. We can only tell what this IS, not change anything.

• Evernote Expert
7 hours ago, nmjk said:

Sorry for a second reply! Do you recall where that announcement landed? I haven't been able to find anything yet.

Announcements started going out by Email from 12 September 2023 to arrive with customers no later than 28 days before their renewal at the new prices. It has been widely discussed almost within hours of the first Emails landing.

• Like 2