2024 changes

• Level 5*

Hi.  Sorry I don't understand why you think the app is holding subscriber content 'hostage' - as long as you have a valid payment method and your subscription is up to date,  you always have access to all your notes.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience.  Bye.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

@Jacobxxxx123 It‘s plain a stupid, easy to falsify comment. Even any Free user can export his data without any problem from the app - he doesn‘t need to pay a dime for this, no matter whether he is inside or outside of the new Free plans limits. There is not even a payment method required to be authorized for this.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

"Holding content hostage". Kinda sort of it was done to some free users with more than one notepad for month or so. Web Client was almost impossible to use (logged off several seconds after confirmation that I don't want to pay for personal plan; seems to be fixed few days before), mobile client was read only. Exported all data with Windows app, but it was not not so simple, as data takeoff is supposed to be.

P.S. no Visa/Mastercard/PayPal is available now and Evernote does not allow to pay with cryptocurrency. I am NOT ABLE to pay for personal account ☹️, not WILLING to use all paid features for free...

• 2 weeks later...

I was a long time user as well. I paid for years. but in recent years didn't need the features as much as basic note taking. then the prices doubled, then the constant ads to "go premium" when I had no need.  then the ads that won't let you close out until you click into the "accept offer" screen.  if they just wanted me to pay for a subscription again, I would have been okay with that without the huge price hike.   good riddance at this point

This price rise has me gobsmacked.  Unbelievable. I’ve been with Evernote for 14 years and been asking for literally years to allow text encryption on mobile devices but  their todo list seems to have little practical application (at least in my case). By the way, they’ve given me three weeks notice (I received the price rise email today (in Australia)) so I’ll have to suck it up for this year while I plan a replacement. Outstanding customer management.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 7:13 AM, PinkElephant said:

@Jacobxxxx123 It‘s plain a stupid, easy to falsify comment. Even any Free user can export his data without any problem from the app - he doesn‘t need to pay a dime for this, no matter whether he is inside or outside of the new Free plans limits. There is not even a payment method required to be authorized for this.

You can export one note at a time. If you have been using Evernote for over 20 years, as I have, you will have thousands of notes. I have about 5000 notes. You're going to export these by hand, one at a time? LOL. I believe there was a way recently to export an entire notebook, but I can no longer find that option in Evernote. Did they remove it? Probably. They want you locked into Evernote as they increase the price and decrease the features and value in the product. 

When Evernote10 came out, I knew I would need to move off of it. 10 is just pathetic. It's slow as heck, has a cartoonish interface and is missing many of the features it used to have. 

There are some alternatives out there. The most promising one I've seen is Joplin https://joplinapp.org/. I tested it, and it successfully imports entire notebooks from Evernote (if you can figure out how to export them these days). It has shortcomings. It stores the nodes in individual markdown files, which is great. But it does not store them in a way that is useable by other software, which is bad. And it may not have the reliable syncing ability that Evernote always has had (and still seems to).

• Level 5

I‘m not going to correct wrong statements by telling how to solve the problem - I just call wrong wrong. You can export notes in large groups, anything else is wrong.

If you want to know how to export notes in large quantities, you know where to ASK.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
15 minutes ago, Harry Slaughter said:

You can export one note at a time. If you have been using Evernote for over 20 years, as I have, you will have thousands of notes. I have about 5000 notes. You're going to export these by hand, one at a time? LOL. I believe there was a way recently to export an entire notebook, but I can no longer find that option in Evernote. Did they remove it? Probably. They want you locked into Evernote as they increase the price and decrease the features and value in the product. 

When Evernote10 came out, I knew I would need to move off of it. 10 is just pathetic. It's slow as heck, has a cartoonish interface and is missing many of the features it used to have. 

There are some alternatives out there. The most promising one I've seen is Joplin https://joplinapp.org/. I tested it, and it successfully imports entire notebooks from Evernote (if you can figure out how to export them these days). It has shortcomings. It stores the nodes in individual markdown files, which is great. But it does not store them in a way that is useable by other software, which is bad. And it may not have the reliable syncing ability that Evernote always has had (and still seems to).

Being of a generous nature, I'll offer the links to Evernote's help articles on exporting, which refute the first paragraph as an utter falsehood: export as PDF; export as ENEX or HTML. The short advice is you have to use a desktop app, not Web or mobile; you can select multiple notes (up to 100) to export, or you can export entire notebooks.

As for the second paragraph, typical Legacy fanboy universalization of one's own first impressions. When v. 10 was first released (prematurely, in pretty much everybody's opinion) it lacked a lot of features. Most of them have been restored, and new ones added that Legacy never had (e.g. backlinks). Speed has also improved greatly over the past year.

So not a lot of reliable information there. Except that Joplin requires markdown and doesn't sync as well as Evernote. 😑

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe they moved the 'export notebook' from the file menu to the notebook context menu. So I didn't find it. The feature is definitely still there.

Features have been removed or made worse. One small example that most wouldn't notice is the ability to quickly change the 'created' timestamp on a note. Previously, I could quickly update the value to match the date on an old document I may have scanned so I can filter documents chronologically. In v10, changing that value is just awkward. It can be done, but it's more clicks and slower to accomplish. 

It's possible that some of the features I think have been removed may exist somewhere else in the UI now, sure. I thought the 'sync folder' feature was removed, but it was simply buried in a different location. 

Evernote for me is now much slower to startup and use. That's subjective, yes. Search is slower. Navigating notes and notebooks is slower. 

Improvements? Sure. Sync now seems to be 'behind the scenes'. I no longer need to sync after exporting web content to Evernote via clipper. The clips are in Evernote within a few seconds. I like.

The editor is improving. The old editor was so icky. Formatting was painful. The new editor seems to be markdown based or something, which is great. 

Overall, it's no longer for me. My main concern is that Evernote will continue to degrade and I'll have 20 years of information that I can't access. Maybe this is unlikely. But seeing what Bending Spoons is up to, I just want to get my notes out and move on to a non-proprietary solution.

Evernote has been a crucial tool for me for 20 years. I'm happy for that.

• Level 5

Wouldn't help to set the updated date field. Next time you touch a note it would be set to a new value again. To group notes together, use tags, or create a TOC note that holds links to all linked notes. The new Backlinks feature in v10 facilitates navigation between linked notes.

About speed: You need to wait for some days until the whole setup is running at speed. It needs to organize everything into the new data structure. Even then, when you open a note that has not yet been converted to the new data structure, there will be a delay. It is a one timer per note.

v10 is the most feature complete EN we ever had. Some details from legacy may be gone, but we got Home, Tasks, a new Editor, Backlinks and RTE syncing on top, just to name a few. Legacy was the low point in degradation: No new features for years, only stagnation. Since v10 we have got innovation, and since the takeover from the former owners it seems they get their act together.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Harry Slaughter said:

Features have been removed or made worse. One small example that most wouldn't notice is the ability to quickly change the 'created' timestamp on a note. Previously, I could quickly update the value to match the date on an old document I may have scanned so I can filter documents chronologically. In v10, changing that value is just awkward. It can be done, but it's more clicks and slower to accomplish.

I Do this daily with lots of my Notes only takes a few seconds.  I have notes with Creation dates from 1983, long before EN.