Is offline on mobile being deprecated?

Offline notebooks on mobile haven't worked properly since mid-year. The feature still appears on the plan comparison page, but we know changes were implemented to Free before the website caught up to them, so that's no longer a reliable source of information.

To see pages offline, I need to first open them individually on my phone (iPhone using Evernote 10.62.2, which was just installed in the last few days) while still within signal range. Notes in offline notebooks used to downloaded automatically. Has anyone else seen a downgrade of functionality with offline access on any mobile OS? If so, did you discover any workarounds to keep it working as before? I've done several uninstalls/reinstalls in recent months but none delivered any improvements.

I moved business-related notes out of EN months ago, and the dismantling of the support function made offline access via mobile the last paid feature that interested me. I was considering keeping my EN account with a downgrade to Personal simply for home use, but if the mobile offline feature is being sunsetted then that changes my path forward.

Thanks for any experiences or solutions you can share.

• Level 5*

As you know from experience,  Evernote do not announce things ahead of time,  but they've not indicated in any way that subscriber services are being downgraded - provided you are on v10 and not Legacy.  Mobile services are necessarily slow to update since that has to be a low-key background task.  Only suggestion would be to limit offline notes/ notebooks as far as possible,  and leave the content syncing for as long as possible before likely use.  Uninstalls / reinstalls are helpful because they make sure you have the latest version,  but AFAIK offline notes need to be re-synced after each reinstall,  so extend the time the device is left syncing...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Working for me.

While the initial download has not run its course, notebooks should be downloaded one by one, not by „all notebooks“.

When the initial download is done, „All Notebooks“ can be selected to keep everything nicely updated.

• Like 1

I only have a few notebooks marked for offline access. Most are small but one is large for a total of ~500 notes. Maybe that's just too much for the system to handle. All of the notebooks indicate they've been successfully downloaded and, prior to this most recent reinstall, the sync time was measured in weeks. Some of the notes that don't work offline date all the way back to May, which I think would be plenty of time to finish syncing.

For whatever reason, the offline feature isn't working for me, so it's probably prudent to consider it unavailable and plan accordingly. It was such a great feature and a real competitive differentiator. Removing offline from the comparison matrix when evaluating other platforms certainly changes EN's value prop and opens up a lot more options. How times change!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, thefryhole said:

Removing offline from the comparison matrix when evaluating other platforms certainly changes EN's value prop and opens up a lot more options.

Thing is, a lot of competitors claim they support Offline mode, but they

• don't explicitly tell you which notes have or have not been downloaded. We are led to assume it is "everything"
  • don't explicitly tell you that offline mode is supported on Desktops, but not on Mobile (NoteJoy)
  • don't explicitly tell you that offline mode is for text. Attachments have to be manually downloaded (NotesNook, Craft)

I'm not saying we need the resolution of detail that Evernote provides regarding offline download status. But we can't really know for sure if everything's really downloaded in the other apps, either.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
9 hours ago, thefryhole said:

I only have a few notebooks marked for offline access. Most are small but one is large for a total of ~500 notes. Maybe that's just too much for the system to handle. …, the sync time was measured in weeks.

I have a full download on my iPad - this means all notes and is way above a 500 notes notebook. There is no issue to „handle“ it, enough storage provided.

Download doesn’t happen in the background. For the initial download keeping the app in the foreground with the lockscreen disabled and the device on charger is still the best method.

The updating happens during regular use - the indicators introduced a while ago show progress very nicely.

If there is a problem with one device, it should be treated as such. The best way is probably a full uninstall, followed by a (forced) restart, reinstall and fresh download.

It seems the Evernote app on my iPhone updated to 10.62.3 and it brought a solution to the problem of missing notes in offline notebooks by...wait for it...turning off all the notebooks I had marked as offline. Now instead of having SOME of my notes available offline, I have ZERO notes available offline. That's nice. Something telling me that all my settings had been wiped out would have been appreciated.

How am I "posting the same stuff again?" I wasn't aware the app had updated, there was no notification of any changes to the application's version. This is also new behavior from what I posted originally -- rather than having a random bunch of notes that did/did not download in offline notebooks, I now have zero notebooks marked as offline and zero notes available offline. And because the app didn't indicate anything had changed, I wasn't aware my previously downloaded notes had been removed.

Should I do a complete uninstall/reinstall every day?

• Level 5*
25 minutes ago, thefryhole said:

It seems the Evernote app on my iPhone updated to 10.62.3 and it brought a solution to the problem of missing notes in offline notebooks by...wait for it...turning off all the notebooks I had marked as offline. Now instead of having SOME of my notes available offline, I have ZERO notes available offline. That's nice. Something telling me that all my settings had been wiped out would have been appreciated.

Some settings curiously and frustratingly get reset on an update.  It would be nice if they could maintain the prior settings.  I updated my iPad recently and the same thing happened with offline notebooks, so I'm downloading again.