Updated Date changes when it should not

I am using current version of Evernote on an up to date MacOS. Simply looking at some notes, changes their updated date to the current moment in time. Haven't tested extensively, because updated date is an important meta data for my notes, so I don't want to mess up more of my notes, but it appears it may have something to do with images being embedded into a note. All notes with issue that I have noticed have an image. Using the restore function is kind of useless for this issue, since it changes the name and location of the note, so if I correct it, it will be updated "now" again (not to mention that the bug itself happens too as soon as I look at the restored note, it's updated to "now" anyway).

Wondering if anyone else is running into this issue?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Seems it is a feature ☹️

It used to happen on the mobile client on iOS. There it was fixed some updates ago. 

But they still had it on stock - so why not try this on the Mac client now ?

Can confirm it happens on EN Mac 10.67.2.

🤷

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Usually when you go to the bottom of a help article, there is the question if it solved your problem. If not, there is the word support in green letters. Click on it, it’s a link that takes you to the support page.

Or use this link:

Thank you... I took a look and there is no option for support there other than billing/login issues. This is very worrisome. 😞 

48 minutes ago, corngirl said:

I don't want to jinx anything, but I just installed an update to the app (I'm on a Mac) and it doesn't seem to be doing this any more. No release notes, for some reason, but...maybe they fixed it?

v10.67.73? < I'm running that version and still experiencing this same issue

This is becoming really troublesome now. I now fear viewing my old notes (a basic function of the app) because it will mess up the last edited date metadata. Preserving last edited metadata is highly important and provides context for notes. The recent app updates have made it dangerous to use the EN for me and I've now had to hold off using the app for now. Highly frustrating as a paid user.

Please sort this issue out urgently!!!

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Someboody said:

v10.67.73? < I'm running that version and still experiencing this same issue

This is becoming really troublesome now. I now fear viewing my old notes (a basic function of the app) because it will mess up the last edited date metadata. Preserving last edited metadata is highly important and provides context for notes. The recent app updates have made it dangerous to use the EN for me and I've now had to hold off using the app for now. Highly frustrating as a paid user.

Please sort this issue out urgently!!!

Looks like I'm up to 10.67.4. Is your "73" maybe just "3"? In any case, the update got pushed to my app automatically, but maybe try going to the Help menu and selecting Check for updates.

Thanks for the updates everyone. It's still happening to me with version:

10.67.4-mac-ddl-public (20231204112355)
Editor: v176.32.0
Service: v1.80.3

But not on all notes. From the ones that had updated in error the other day, only two, when I clicked on them now, updated again to the current date/time. Strangely enough when I look at their version history, they are showing a version from 2022 (when they were created), then as of few moments ago, but no version from 2 days ago when this first occured. When I look at some that changed 2 days ago, but not changing today, it's a mix of history of either only version from Dec 2, or Dec plus some older versions. 

I tried few old notes where I would not care if updated date changed, and sure it did on one of them. Its version history has nothing other than "few seconds ago" and "current version". The note is from 2012, and it does not have any images (although it has a URL link in the text, and URL in the note properties).

• Like 1

Evernote for Mac updated yesterday to 10.67.3-mac-mas-public . I still had the problem. Based on recommendations here, I checked online and a newer version (10.67.4-mac-mas-public)) was available. I updated my app and the "changed the updated date on viewing" problem is still happening.

Edited by MHochberg
Updating the app did not fix the change date on viewing problem

I had been away for a few days, but I finally found a way to open a ticket (there is an option to select "technical issue", and not just billing, just the list of them is non-standard browser control that looks like there is no more than the three options related to billing). Ticket #3794053. 

It's definitely still happening. Just tried it. It does not happen with every note with an image, but with some, just clicking on the note in the list of notes, immediately updates date/time and moves it to the top of the notebook (since it's sorted by updated date/time).

My wild guess is that they have changed path/server/data center of where some of the images are stored, and when you look at a note with an image URL pointing to old path/server/data center, it updates it automatically. But that should absolutely NOT update the date/time of the last update of the note since the content did not change (i.e. user data did not change). This may be why it's happening to notes with certain attachments only - only certain URLs are affected, or maybe there is some edge case in the piece of code that updates the URL.

• Like 4

I'm using 10.68.2 on Mac (latest version available today) and simply viewing a note changes the "Updated Date."  When clicking on the three dots menu at the upper right of the note then selecting "Note History" it doesn't show a previous (original) version date. Grrrrr! Just wondering if a bug fix will retroactively correct the "updated" note dates. I'm guessing not. 

And in other news, all of this is amidst my decision to migrate everything away from EN into Apple Notes. However, I was having an issue with attachments not coming through (several weeks ago). Now, when importing smaller chunks of my EN notes collection, attachments seem to be intact. However, when checking the "Creation Date" box in the export dialog (so that Apple Notes / AN will reference the original date vs. import date) everything imported in AN as if created the day of the import. BUT...if I unchecked the "Creation Date" box and instead checked the "Updated Date" box AN imports it with the EN creation date...or for the few notes I've clicked on (see first paragraph) it uses the "updated date" for those notes. 

I also had MAJOR problems trying to login to EN recently. Google Authenticator wouldn't work no matter what I tried.  And if I hadn't located my Backup Codes from EN I wouldn't have been able to get in. I finally had to disable 2FA once logged in just to make it work without the runarround of copying/pasting my backup codes every time I logged in. And no, EN support wasn't available to help me in a timely fashion, even as a paying member since 2010 (as noted their website). Hmmmm!!!

Once I get all of my notes out and into AN, I hope things work better.

• Like 2

I'm seeing the same behaviour on 10.68.2 on Mac lately.

Viewing notes seems to change the Updated date. (No changes were made to the note)

This is a bug in my view.

(I've opened a Support ticket for this)

10.68.2-mac-ddl-public (20231212182238)
Editor: v176.42.0
Service: v1.83.1
© 2019 - 2023 Evernote Corporation. All rights reserved

Edited by tony_cook
Support ticket
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, tony_cook said:

This is a bug in my view

It is and I think it is due to the RTE sync that was introduced.  There are some lingering problems with that change. Sometimes I notice it and sometimes I don’t. It appears to be intermittent maybe based on the RTE timing.  I’ve been frustratingly living with it for now.

• Like 2

There is a new release  (10.68.3 ) a few hours ago. Unfortunately, the release notes do not mention this problem. In the App Store, just repeats the same fix message it listed in the previous release.  I have installed it and I have still have the "date updated" on viewing" problem.  😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Paid account. Same issue (bug). Click on a note, it's marked updated. No bueno.

There's really no other way to sort a year of duplicated notes (all have the same created date) unless I update my note naming schema to be sorted properly. Context I'm searching 100+ notes over a year with a date in the title. I'll open a support ticket. 

versions:

10.68.3-mac-ddl-public (20231218124244)
Editor: v176.42.0
Service: v1.83.1

ETA: opened a ticket. 
there is a manual override 
https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209004877-Add-date-and-time-stamps-to-your-notes?auth_token=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoyMTI0MzMsInVzZXJfaWQiOm51bGwsInRpY2tldF9pZCI6MzgwMDIwMSwiZGVmbGVjdGlvbl9pZCI6MjQ0MTUyODY3MDgyNDMsImFydGljbGVzIjpbMjA5MDA0ODc3LDYyOTcxNTMxMjMyMTksMzYwMDM1NDk4Nzk0XSwidG9rZW4iOm51bGwsImV4cCI6MTcwNTg2NTkyMH0.OCsrtyf7d0FWUvi9hCxSa0H1sqbk6F2iO10uNc8xBpI

ETAA:

only "date created" can be modified from what I can tell. 

• Level 5

Correct, the „updated“ field is not editable since v10. Wouldn’t make sense anyhow, unless editing it manually would stop the system updating it any more.

We can only contact support and hope the fix it again - this is an on and off issue in several clients.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 7:56 PM, barrrt said:

It's definitely still happening. Just tried it. It does not happen with every note with an image, but with some, just clicking on the note in the list of notes, immediately updates date/time and moves it to the top of the notebook (since it's sorted by updated date/time).

My wild guess is that they have changed path/server/data center of where some of the images are stored, and when you look at a note with an image URL pointing to old path/server/data center, it updates it automatically. But that should absolutely NOT update the date/time of the last update of the note since the content did not change (i.e. user data did not change). This may be why it's happening to notes with certain attachments only - only certain URLs are affected, or maybe there is some edge case in the piece of code that updates the URL.

This explanation makes the most sense to me.  I deal with the same problem, the "last edited" field is important for my workflow and also the way I sort my notes.  I need the "last updated" field to NOT update when I just look at the note and also need the ability to edit the "last updated" field since it is important for the way I sort many of my notes.  

The 

On 1/14/2024 at 8:50 AM, p1154 said:

This explanation makes the most sense to me.  I deal with the same problem, the "last edited" field is important for my workflow and also the way I sort my notes.  I need the "last updated" field to NOT update when I just look at the note and also need the ability to edit the "last updated" field since it is important for the way I sort many of my notes.  

Agreed. This is wrecking my workflows. I duplicate notes which keeps the original note creation date making that useless for sorting. Last edited is really the only other option aside from tagging a note with the date every time I edit it. It's almost like a last edited field. 😛
Randomly to add these aren't really useful fields to sort by for notebooks with a lot of notes, Location, Reminder Date, Created By, Updated By, Size, URL. Or at least no good workflow has come to mind. 

Loving the support feedback after 30 days. 

Thanks for your patience. 

We confirm that our team is still running some verifications on what you kindly reported. This process might require some technical time, but rest assured that I'll get back to you as soon as I receive feedback.

If you need any further assistance in the meantime, please reach out to us again at any time.

44 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Update to 10.72.

It should solve the problem.

Thanks for the FYI! tested some notes with images from 2021 and I think the update fixed it.

Evernote 10.71.2 has been installed and is ready to use.

fixes:

Fixes an issue with graphical misalignments on the filter modals.

Release notes