Difficulty highlighting bulleted text

I use bulleted lines all the time when making notes, usually with multiple nested/indented bulleted lines.  Often, I want to move around the text in these bulleted sections, but for quite a long time now, I've had difficulty selecting the text with my mouse in order to do so.  If I click and hold my mouse at the beginning of the line and try to highlight to the right, it often won't work - especially if in doing so I click somewhere in the space between the bullet point and the beginning of the text.  And so I've always clicked at the end of the line and highlighted to the left.  But many times, it won't let me highlight to the beginning of the line.  It highlights most of the line, but the highlight often stops short of the beginning of the line, and I can't get the beginning of the line included in what I'm trying to cut/copy/move.  

When this happens, I have to use my keyboard to bring my cursor to the beginning of the line, at which point I can then click the mouse and drag to the right.  This happens often and is extremely frustrating.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• Like 1

Are you wanting to move the whole bulleted line? You can grab the bullet with the mouse cursor and move it where you want without having to cut and paste the text on the line. (Also, no to your question — I haven’t had issues myself with that.)

4 hours ago, agignac said:

I use bulleted lines all the time when making notes, usually with multiple nested/indented bulleted lines.  Often, I want to move around the text in these bulleted sections, but for quite a long time now, I've had difficulty selecting the text with my mouse in order to do so.  If I click and hold my mouse at the beginning of the line and try to highlight to the right, it often won't work - especially if in doing so I click somewhere in the space between the bullet point and the beginning of the text.  And so I've always clicked at the end of the line and highlighted to the left.  But many times, it won't let me highlight to the beginning of the line.  It highlights most of the line, but the highlight often stops short of the beginning of the line, and I can't get the beginning of the line included in what I'm trying to cut/copy/move.  

When this happens, I have to use my keyboard to bring my cursor to the beginning of the line, at which point I can then click the mouse and drag to the right.  This happens often and is extremely frustrating.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I can reproduce these issues. No real suggestions other than using the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts for highlighting text which do seem to work well. For example

• shift+End to highlight to the end of the line
  • shift + Home to highlight to the beginning of the line
  • shift + up/down arrow to highlight lines
  • ctrl+shift + left/right arrows to select words

This is definitely a bug so you should raise a support request with EN although don't expect a quick solution.

I’m not getting it. If you want to move bullets around in the Windows application, what’s the problem with just clicking on the little “handle” (4 dots) to the left of the bullet and dragging it up and down with the “hand” cursor. Is the desired operation more complex than this?

• Like 1

I think the point is

6 hours ago, agignac said:

Often, I want to move around the text in these bulleted sections,

I read this as not the whole bullet point but bits of text within the bullet. ie editing the text within a bullet point by cutting and pasting. 

Thanks everyone. I didn't know I could click on the bullet itself and move it. I'll do that if I want to move the whole line. But yes... Often it's not the entire line I want to move, just part of the line starting at the beginning of the bullet. And it's also often if I want to highlight the entire line to bold it, which doesn't work properly a lot of the time. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 4:53 AM, Mike P said:

I can reproduce these issues. No real suggestions other than using the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts for highlighting text which do seem to work well. For example

• shift+End to highlight to the end of the line
  • shift + Home to highlight to the beginning of the line
  • shift + up/down arrow to highlight lines
  • ctrl+shift + left/right arrows to select words

This is definitely a bug so you should raise a support request with EN although don't expect a quick solution.

So I sent in a ticket for support request, and got back an email from them saying they couldn't replicate the problem and closed the ticket.  So frustrating....

1 hour ago, agignac said:

So I sent in a ticket for support request, and got back an email from them saying they couldn't replicate the problem and closed the ticket.  So frustrating....

This has happened to me recently for a different issue. So I opened a new ticket, proactively sent a screen recording of the issue happening and also links to the forum showing that I was not alone. To try to keep it live I am now going to send them an update every time there is a new release of the app. It really shouldn't be this difficult!

• Thanks 1
  • Evernote Expert

I've not been able to reproduce this issue with highlighting text in a bulleted list. In the past I had a problem a bit like this in another piece of software and it turned out to be hat my mouse settings needed to be tweaked. I think is had to slow down the acceleration (I see I have it set to none) rather than the pointer speed. But it may also have been some automatic settings which were set to let the mouse driver automatically highlight stuff or similar. 

Anyway, I'd try finding an old simple plug in mouse and temporarily try that out to see if it fixes things.  That would point to mouse configuration. If so, go back to the original mouse and try tweaking the mouse settings and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
On 11/26/2023 at 12:45 AM, agignac said:

If I click and hold my mouse at the beginning of the line and try to highlight to the right, it often won't work - especially if in doing so I click somewhere in the space between the bullet point and the beginning of the text.  And so I've always clicked at the end of the line and highlighted to the left

I take it that this is still the issue that we are talking about. It absolutely happens to me every time; indented lists are not a factor. But it only happens in the Android mobile app, not on  the Windows desktop or Web apps.

EDIT: I am in error here; see my next post below.

I've taken a screen capture.  I was using the Web version this time, which does exactly the same thing as the Windows desktop version.  I start the video by clicking to the left of the start of the bulleted point and highlighting to the right.  I also occasionally click between the bullet and the start of the line and highlight to the right.  At the end of the video, I click in the text of the line and try highlighting to the left.  You can see how frequently I can't successfully highlight the entire line.  I will make a new ticket and send this video to them as well.  Thanks for your help everyone!

• Level 5
17 minutes ago, agignac said:

I've taken a screen capture.  I was using the Web version this time, which does exactly the same thing as the Windows desktop version.  I start the video by clicking to the left of the start of the bulleted point and highlighting to the right.  I also occasionally click between the bullet and the start of the line and highlight to the right.  At the end of the video, I click in the text of the line and try highlighting to the left.  You can see how frequently I can successfully highlight the entire line.  I will make a new ticket and send this video to them as well.  Thanks for your help everyone!

I understand the issue now, and I withdraw my earlier statement that I see the same thing on Android. What happens to me on Android is that I can select rightward from the beginning of a line, but then cannot do anything with it: the Cut/Copy/etc. popup can't be made to appear. I have to select right to left, or triple-tap to select the whole paragraph, to get that. A totally unrelated issue. Sorry.

I'm having the same issue with highlighting text, have been for a while now.  I'm on Windows 10, on the Windows desktop app, Evernote Personal. 

The highlighting issue doesn't happen with any other app, so it's not my mouse.

I tried unchecking hardware acceleration in the app, which didn't fix it.

I also tried enabling and disabling enhanced mouse pointer precision in Windows control panel, which didn't fix it either.

Attaching pic of what it looks like when I try to highlight an entire line, starting from the end/right side of the line and moving left.  It almost always skips a letter, sometimes several letters.

highlightissue.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
在 2023/12/15 在 AM10點20分, Emily Sed說:

I'm having the same issue with highlighting text, have been for a while now.  I'm on Windows 10, on the Windows desktop app, Evernote Personal. 

The highlighting issue doesn't happen with any other app, so it's not my mouse.

I tried unchecking hardware acceleration in the app, which didn't fix it.

I also tried enabling and disabling enhanced mouse pointer precision in Windows control panel, which didn't fix it either.

Attaching pic of what it looks like when I try to highlight an entire line, starting from the end/right side of the line and moving left.  It almost always skips a letter, sometimes several letters.

highlightissue.jpg

This is the exact same problem for me. When trying to use the mouse to highlight a bulleted line (to copy, bold, change colors, etc.) it would stop just 1 character short of the bullet as seen in the screenshot.

This is extremely frustrating as I would have to use the keyboard everytime to highlight the entire text. This seems like a pretty quick fix as it only started happening over the last few versions...so hopefully this is addressed soon.