Items from left handside panel appear/dissapear

Hello,

As per screenshot, items on left hand side panels such as note/notebooks do not appear in their entirety. Maybe only 50% of them appear. However, when I scroll up and down they do appear/disapear, so they do exist, and I can access them on my macbook, but I can't see them through my left hand side panel in Windows.

I reinstalled EN but this hasn't helped.

Any ideas?I don't remember having any issues with Windows Evernote version before...

LHS panel.jpg

• Like 1

@MaciejS - are you on a release equal to or later than 10.65? Looks like a bug (or at least a very undesirable side-effect) might have been introduced with this release as I've seen the same thing reported elsewhere in the forums by a couple of different fellow users with similar screenshots as yourself:

Hopefully, it's something that will be fixed soon, but so far it is not known if anybody with this particular issue has submitted a ticket to Evernote support.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Boot17 said:

...  but so far it is not known if anybody with this particular issue has submitted a ticket to Evernote support.

I have reported it, but so far have only received a boilerplate response asking for information I already submitted, and an invitation to visit the Help and Learning site. *headdesk*

I just created my own post because I didn't find this one first in my search for "sidebar." (D'oh!) You can find my very detailed report (essentially what I submitted to Support) here: https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/148764-sidebar-partially-hidden-in-vertical-window-10653-10663/

• Like 2
14 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  Tried dragging the window wider?

I'm having the same problem, and only see it when the window is in a vertical aspect ratio (like on my vertical monitor). When I change the aspect ratio to horizontal the problem disappears. Maximized or not - same behavior. I started seeing this issue in 10.65.3. I almost always have Evernote open on my left-most vertical monitor, so I noticed it right after the update.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, Linda Eskin said:

I have reported it, but so far have only received a boilerplate response asking for information I already submitted, and an invitation to visit the Help and Learning site. *headdesk*

There's probably thousands of incoming reports,  a goodly proportion of which will be from non-technical folks who don't know where or how to look things up.  It's standard practice for a support team to use standard forms to try and deal with as much as possible as quickly as possible for the benefit of users as well as a busy staff.

Evernote is currently taking a long time for a human response to support requests (10+ days).  They're trying to do better,  but it takes time to scale a support team.  :(

10 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's standard practice for a support team to use standard forms to try and deal with as much as possible as quickly as possible for the benefit of users as well as a busy staff.

I get that. I responded to the first request with everything they asked for - Internet speed, version number, activity log, etc., plus a lot more details. It took me over an hour to do a proper bug report (I used to be a software developer), with every bit of info I could think of that might help them sort it out. Didn't hear anything for days, and then out of the blue another request for all the information I'd already submitted, and more suggestions to browse the Help system. Uggh. I've offered to demo the problem via Quick Assist. Heck, I could have dropped by and demoed it for them in less time than it took me to test and report it.

Do you know if they are outsourcing support, or changing support contractors? This kind of disruption shouldn't be necessary just for growing the team.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Linda Eskin said:

Do you know if they are outsourcing support, or changing support contractors?

AFAIK it's all in house in Italy now - and another thread showcased some recruitment adds for support staff.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, gazumped said:

AFAIK it's all in house in Italy now - and another thread showcased some recruitment adds for support staff.

Ah... Yup. Thanks for the tip. More info:

https://evernote.com/blog/moving-the-evernote-center-of-operations-to-europe

More background:

https://www.prweb.com/releases/bending_spoons_to_acquire_renowned_productivity_app_evernote_to_enhance_suite_of_consumer_facing_digital_products/prweb19024575.htm

Bending Spoons looks really good on Glassdoor, so that's encouraging. Evernote seems really far from their core business to date (phone apps), though. Crossing my fingers, and reading up on Notion just in case.

• Evernote Expert

Actually, I think that Evernote's core business had been desktop apps. No doubt, like many other sectors, the 'mobile first' vision is taking over. But desktop remains, I think, the primary focus at the moment.

You're right that the Bending Spoons acquisition looked positive earlier in the year. It has a much stronger mobile offering so that may push mobile to the fore. We'll have to see.

22 minutes ago, agsteele said:

Actually, I think that Evernote's core business had been desktop apps. ...

That's what I meant. Bending Spoons seems to have created only mobile apps - and for photos and videos at that. Now they are taking on Evernote, which is something really different for them.

I've been part of a company that was sold to a bigger company who had stars in their eyes, but had no expertise in our area. I may have a little lingering trauma from how that turned out. Basically, they fired or alienated all our key people, then couldn't figure out what to do with our product, and shelved it. At least we had the sense to insist on cash for the business, not options or some other silliness. Still, sad to see years of really excellent work just wasted.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

I wouldn’t worry too much. BS has developed and operated the Italian COVID app. This means a massive cloud syncing operation with millions of clients, real time matching of data and all under the strictest privacy and security rules.

They may have a steep learning curve at the moment, but from their background they are well prepared.

• Like 3

Just wanted to chime in here that I'm having a similar and potentially related issue where "Trash" is missing from my sidebar.  I'm using the desktop app, updated to the latest version.  Sometimes it reappears, for no apparent reason, but most of the time it's gone.

Also, just to echo what some other folks are saying, it's really disconcerting to have had BS double the subscription price, and then proceed to provide horrid customer service while producing an app that seems to be buggy and less reliable.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

The issue seems to be related to large vertical screen sizes - both portrait and landscape. Obviously the devs are only allowed 21", so it escaped their attention ...

On larger screens it is consistent - but if you collapse the notebook and/or tags section (depending on their size), the missing categories appear. So it is far from anything serious, it is just a display issue, easily circumvented.

But of course somebody always tries to make a humpppppah out of it.

On 11/17/2023 at 2:25 PM, PinkElephant said:

... So it is far from anything serious, it is just a display issue, easily circumvented.

But of course somebody always tries to make a humpppppah out of it.

User Experience pro here... (My license plate actually used to be UI GEEK.) Agreed, not a dangerous issue, data-wise, and not difficult to fix, technically, but from my/the user's perspective it's a problem. I have to keep expanding and collapsing things so I can access my stacks, folders, and tags. Or I have to run the app at only 3/4 of the screen height on my vertical monitor (where it lives). I have vertical monitors so I can see more of my content at once, and now I can't take advantage of that, plus I have the visual clutter of seeing whatever's on the rest of the screen behind it. It's a constant annoyance throughout the day and (I would hope) should be trivial to fix. It worked fine until recently, so it's not like I am / we are asking for some complex new feature.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Linda Eskin said:

User Experience pro here...

As you'll know,  if everyone who finds this an issue send in one Support request,  Evernote can gauge the size and importance of the issue against other refund / login / access issues they're dealing with and assign some resources to deal with it.  We're mainly other users here...