Renaming a notebook requires you to type it all

Renaming a notebook requires you to type it all. So if you have a long notebook name and you just want to do a tiny update to the name, you have to type it all!
It seems to me whoever designed that UI has little knowledge of basic UI/UX. They never renamed a folder or a file using File explorer and noticed the original name is in the textbox!?
It's not a big deal. Just mentioning an annoyance.

• Like 2
50 minutes ago, abdu said:

Renaming a notebook requires you to type it all. So if you have a long notebook name and you just want to do a tiny update to the name, you have to type it all!

I agree that if you rename from the sidebar you need to retype the name in full. However, if you go to the notebooks screen, when you rename you are given the old name to edit.

image.png.20c28795071437115763a7f4502cc4be.png

• Like 5
  • 3 months later...
  • Level 5

Don‘t understand the whole discussion: I click on notebook view in the side panel, get the notebook list, make a right click on a notebook. This gives me a drop down menu, I select „Rename notebook“. A little window opens, asking me for the new name. I type it (YES, I need to type this), confirm, change applied, done.

Where is the tremendous problem this thread is about ?

Oh, you want to only tiny update a name ? And you do this how often ? 100 times a day ? I doubt it. NOT having the old name spelled out by default means I DON‘T have to erase it all of the time when I want to give a notebook a new name. THIS would be clunky … 

Which only proves there are different views possible on the same action, and clunkyness is often not in the app, but in the eye of the respective user.

So I think feedback is a nice hint for you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
13 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

NOT having the old name spelled out by default means I DON‘T have to erase it all of the time when I want to give a notebook a new name. THIS would be clunky … 

The rename from the notebooks screen works as most people would expect. The old name is automatically highlighted, so if you want a completely new name you can just start typing - no messing about with erasing required. If you want to edit either click into the name or use the arrow keys.  This sounds like the best of both worlds to me and it is odd that the two different ways of naming notebooks (from the sidebar or from the notebooks screen) behave differently.

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Coding is about focus as much as it is about functionality.

The subject here is in a little used function, and it has a trade off when applied - it doesn‘t come for nothing. Not applied a notebook name needs to be typed, even if you only want to change it a little. But applied you need to erase the preselection every single time, even if you don’t want to reuse it.

And that‘s the issue here, not one of usefulness for one, but not for somebody else.

Remark: Who frequently needs to update his notebook names should start using tags instead - frequent changes of notebooks (and the assignment of notes to notebooks) are a typical sign that the use of tags would be beneficial.

• Haha 1