What happens to an account if a user is deceased?

• Level 5*

Excuse the downbeat subject,  but it's something which I've been (kinda) dealing with for a while - I'm... let's go with an 'older' user,  and very aware that my immediate family members don't share my tech skills. 

Since my habit has been to save every receipt,  agreement and user guide that I've come across into Evernote,  it is a valuable resource that I use every day.  Should I not be here,  my family will need to have access to it. 

I can (and will!) share the password and they can continue the payments,  but what if something bad happens and they can't get access?  Or they want to continue the service,  but prefer not to have it in my name?

I've been an executor for a few family members (yep I'm really that old) and I've had experience with bank accounts (forinstance) where the normal process in the UK seems to require the Executor to submit the death certificate and probated will before being granted access to an account.  I don't know how that process varies across the countries Evernote serves,  but what would Evernote recommend?

I'm posting this here because

1. I can ramble more than if I use the Support link,  and include @Federico Simionato in the discussion.  I mean...
    • How would Evernote deal with an Executor requesting access to a deceased user account? 
    • What proofs might be required?
    • Presuming that access is granted,  could the username and password be changed for a third party?
      (Presuming a wife or a child)
  2. I can invite other users to contribute to the discussion.  
    • What might other family members need if a user expires?

I'm assuming that

• a subscription account would remain available until the subscription expires and it reverts to free
  • a 'free' account would remain available for a period of time and then be archived and the password suspended

One concern has been raised by Evernote apparently restricting 'free' accounts to 1 notebook / 50 notes - how long will free notebook downgrades from subscription accounts be maintained?  Is the information literally archived for as long as Evernote is in business?

Another user in one of the Facebook groups is (apparently) currently creating a cheat sheet for executors dealing with Evernote accounts - with us oldies representing an increasing percentage of the population it seems like something which is going to become more common.

Any thoughts on all of this welcomed - these days everyone needs to have a good succession plan in place...

I'll add my Support ticket number for information later.   

• Evernote Expert

One practical thing that I was advised by our solicitor to do was to leave instructions in my will about what I wanted to happen to my digital footprint and to authorise my executors to have access to my various accounts. Apparently some cloud service providers require a proper transfer of authority.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

It's something everybody needs to take care of himself.

Best practice is all passwords in a password manager, and the emergency codes to enter it stored with the will. They will be handed over to a person specified in the will, by the designated care taker.

This means one measure for all accounts. To expect each dev will set it up himself is a far cry, and it is close to impossible that all devs will agree on the same method.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

2 options: Run 2FA in 1PW as well - makes life easier here, but is not as good from a security perspective.

Collect your 2 FAs in one authenticator app, and have emergency access saved for it as well.

Most services offer backup codes when 2FA is enabled that can be used to bypass 2FA if the authenticator app doesn't work or the phone is lost. You could keep these codes with the emergency kit and provide that to a trusted relative or beneficiary.