left side bar

• 2 months later...

Yeah. Evernote gives the option of light or dark mode, but only implements half of your option, if you choose to go with  light mode.

Who knows why the cretins think this way, but having now been bought by Bending Spoons and refocused on profit, don't expect them to be prioritising the user experience for some time. I imagine the choice of a light sidebar may resurface as a 'paid for' option in a future 'premium plus' release!

Such is software these days.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, DesignThinking said:

don't expect them to be prioritising the user experience for some time.

From the current blog...

After Bending Spoons acquired Evernote, we carried out several initiatives to make the company financially stable. We introduced collaborative editing and two new powerful AI features. We gained precious insights into our customers through thousands of survey responses, interviews, emails, forum posts, and more. But most importantly, we brought substantial improvements to Evernote’s underlying technology.

https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap

They seem pretty focussed so far...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm running Evernote on two Windows computers and they're both running exactly the same version (10.71.2).

On one of the machines the left sidebar appears light and on the other it's dark. I prefer to have a light sidebar but I can't see any way to change it on either machine.

• Level 5

Feel to be the rabbit of the day, exposed to some testing: EN has announced they are doing a revision of the UI. The light background is part of it and has been reported and criticized by other users already. 

Use the feedback function to send your comment directly to EN. 

EN switches users to the new layout randomly. Unfortunately there is no switch to toggle between the current UI, and the testing opticals.

Unless you have signed up to the beta teating of the new UI you're probably just caught up in the accidental release from yesterday. Chances are when you logout, shutdown etc it will come back in the current version of the UI (with dark sidebar)

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Yes, the widespread release yesterday was an error. It was supposed to go only to those who had indicated a willingness to test the changes. As soon as it was realised that everyone had received it, the process was reversed.

In other threads there is a link to volunteer for the test or we can just wait for the treated version to be released later.

I'm in the waiting camp ;)

• Like 1